main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

For some reason I keep waiting for the text, "System Shock 2: Special Edition", to flash up on the screen.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Looks scary to be honest but will the finished product hold up?

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Chewgumma Thank you very much for pointing out that it is in fact Creative Assembly who are the developer. I managed to miss that in both the OP and the polygon article. [face_beatup]

I'm very aware of the problems of the most recent Total War. But yeah, I'll choose to go with cautious optimism now too.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I have faith this won't be a repeat of the Colonial Marines debacle but being cautiously optimistic is the correct logic to follow with this. Looks promising! As Colonial Marines once did....

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Trailer looks really good, and as an A L I E N fan I hope it's a great game. But after A: CM I'm not holding my breath.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    So ur excited and worried at the same time?

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes. This has the potential to be the best game set in the Alien universe yet, but considering that there was never a really good one in the first place (I'm not an AvP fan in case someone brings that up) somehow I won't be surprised if we add this one to that sad list.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm being optimistic on this too. It looks very good and it seems to be going for actual horror atmosphere like the first film rather than a shocks type of horror found in Doom 3 for example. It's not that I don't like Doom 3, I just didn't find it to be that scary. Now, if A:I can keep me from turning out the lights at night then I will be very happy.

I disagree. The Aliens Trilogy game on the PS1 was very good.

9. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I hope it's good.. i really do. Been wanting a Alien survival horror game for along time. And i waited for Colonial Marines since 2007 >_<
    However, seeing as the makers of this game is Creative Assembly. Who made the unfinished, buggy, unoptimised mess called Rome 2. And that the publisher is Sega, who published Rome 2 and Colonial Marines. My expectations are way down :(

Something that worries me is how Rome 2 and Colonial Marines looked so good in the demo's and trailers, but the released product was not even close. I really hope this isn't yet another fare trailer :/

Django Fett33 likes this.
  10. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    im honestly not a big aliens fan, never have been unfortuantely im a predator fan lol, i thought the Colonial Marines game looked boring honestly and it ended up being bad. im actually excited for this game, i love the premise and it def seems to feel like a REAL ALIEN game and i think aliens fans should be excited for this.

11. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    This looks more like Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Outlast than Colonial Marines. That is a VERY good thing. Those games are terrifying, and Colonial Marines somehow managed to make the Xenomorphs not scary since you kill waves of them with your pulse rifle. I don't think this new game features weapons. When you are completely helpless it is truly scary. Be sure to play it with headphones and in the dark!

12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Debating if I want to get this game.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

"ur". Really? Is "you're" that hard to write? :rolleyes:

Any indication why it has to be Ripley's daughter?

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

EDIT: In all seriousness, I think its mainly because it a rather unexplored character, that fits in the story.

spicer, TX-20 and Saintheart like this.
  18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Still surprised Mr. Ender hasn't come back to tell me I am wrong in some way.

19. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm a sucker for the Alien franchise (yeah, I even bought ACM and liked it [face_whistling]) and this game will be the next one on my purchase list. I've already got it preordered. So far the videos I've seen of the gameplay make it look very promising.

spicer and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Game is getting mediocre reviews

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Not just that, the reviews that make it out to be mediocre seem to be written by critics that don't understand horror game mechanics. One of the biggest complaints I have seen is about the lack of checkpointing and it's "outdated" saving system, while ignoring the fact that manual saves have always been one of the horror genre's greatest strengths. It provides tension to the player by imposing a cost to dying. It's the closest you can get to giving the player a sense of mortality while in a video game. That's why I'll always take Silent Hill 2 with its manual saves over Dead Space.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm looking forward to the game but unfortunately will have to wait for it to price drop. The only reviews I will pay attention to is those from customer reviews and possibly YouTube reviews.

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Being the hard-core Alien fan I am, I couldn't wait for the game to be officially released, so I watched a full walkthrough on youtube. In my opinion this is the best Alien game released to date, and for those that might be wondering, it's incomparably better than the atrocity called Aliens: Colonial Marines. The atmosphere, music, sounds and voice acting are excellent, capturing the mood of the original movie perfectly. The graphics are as good as they appear in all the gameplay videos released previously. There are some really tense and scary moments through out the game that kept me at the edge of my seat when I watched the videos, so I am certain it's way scarier when you play the game. I can't comment on the gameplay since I haven't actually played the game, but just in case someone still hasn't figured it out, this is a pretty slow (and long) game that requires some patience to finish, so for those that want a heavy action packed game, this may not be for them. As for the story, I must say that I am very satisfied with it as a huge fan of the franchise. The character you play with, Amanda Ripley is someone you root for, she is likeable and you feel for her.

The rest of the characters aren't as developed as Amanda through out the game, but I have to mentioned that I was pleasantly surprised with the android character Samuels, because I thought he would turn out to be another evil android, like Ash. I was relieved that he ended up to be most comparable to Bishop, making me feel sad when he "died". Still, in the whole Alien/Prometheus franchise, David is the most interesting android so far. The story doesn't have any unresolved issues or plot holes (not that I have noticed anyway) and while it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it leaves some room for a continuation, which may or may not work, since IMO the story works well as it is, and Aliens (the movie) serves as a good sequel to the original film and Alien Isolation. With that said, the game doesn't contradict or make things confusing in regards to the movies (unlike Colonial Marines). The only thing that may confuse players that are not that familiar with the Alien franchise is the xenomorph hive on Sevastopol station, since there is no xenomorph queen shown. The hive was created by a drone through egg morphing, a process that happens when there is no queen present. Egg morphing appears in the Directors Cut of Alien.

Unfortunately, that is not explained in the game, but hard core Alien fans familiar with the franchise should be able to figure it out.

Overall, I liked this game a lot, and I recommend it to Alien fans.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I watched a Twitch livestream of the game. I personally think the game is scarier than the original movie.