main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What was the future that Jacen averted?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vialco, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    In FOTJ it's stated several times that Jacen Solo managed to avert a dark future for the galaxy by becoming a Sith Lord. I'm wondering what exactly that dark future was.

According to Abyss and Apocalypse, Jacen saw a Dark Man on a golden throne, ruling the galaxy. We see in Apocalypse that Jacen's Dark Man was in fact Darth Krayt, and that Jacen did what he did because he saw Allana standing next to the Dark Man. That was why he turned to the Dark Side, to save his daughter.

He seems to have succeeded, as Darth Krayt hides in the shadows for over a century before finally emerging and taking over the galaxy. But what exactly was that future that would have come, had Jacen not turned. Would Darth Krayt have emerged from hiding early? Would the One Sith have taken advantage of the Corellian Uprising and and tried to seize control of the galaxy?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    if you ask Troy Denning, it was SW Legacy

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Perhaps the pieces that came to be Legacy and thus would defeat Krayt would not have been put in place if not for Jacen's temper tantrum.

Cade skywalker wouldn't be a factor and his special healing powers wouldn't have been known. Perhaps Krayt would have had a longer rule but would eventually succumb to his vong spores.

Then the sith had have a bloody war of finding his successor. Leading to more chaos. By forcing krayt to go back into stasis, it moves him to the point where Legacy : War can cripple the one sith.

Then hopefully legacy II #18 can off them completely.

Thuro and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    But...that doesn't make any sense.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This surprises you?

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Near as I can tell he didn't avert anything in the grand scheme, as Krayt still came into power. He merely made it so that it happened decades later than it apparently would have, and so Allana supposedly wouldn't have fallen to the Dark Side and become a Sith at Krayt's side had the Denningverse continued.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    So Jacen "avoided" a future that was written as canon in 2006, in a book published in 2012, and remained canon after the publication of Apocalypse. Except because that's nonsense, all he did was delay Legacy by a few decades?

I'm doing an EU read through type of thing right now, and although I'm only up to "I, Jedi" right now (having just finished the JAT) it sounds like some of the more recent stuff gets real dumb, real fast.

8. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    No, just the Denning/nine book stuff.

Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    That's, what, Fate of the Jedi and Legacy of the Force?

10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    In the words of Troy Denning

Quoted from the above link:

Is there anything you can tell me about the vision that Ben has on the pinnace toward the end of the novel (Page 415)? It seems to connect pretty explicitly with the events of Dark Horse’s Legacy comics and the emergence of the One Sith.

Visions and symbols are always subject to interpretation and the future is always in motion. I look on a vision as one of many possible things that could happen. What I’m doing there is giving a nod to that continuity, but I’m just a writer, so I don’t know how or even if we’re going to get from where Apocalypse ends to where Legacy begins. That’s a big mystery to me, certainly. And I would be surprised if at this point even the editors and the folks at Lucasfilm had a clear picture of everything that’s going to happen in the next sixty years of EU time between Apocalypse and Legacy. That’s a long, long period of time, and to tell you the truth, I don’t think that anybody really has a firm grasp on how we’re going to get from where we are now to where Legacy begins.

And I don’t think they should –– I don’t think anybody should have that all pegged down right now. I think there’s too much fun to be had playing with that time period right now. That’s one of the things that comes up in Apocalypse –– has the future been changed? That’s a question that I don’t think I know the answer to right now, and I’m hoping the readers won’t know the answers to it. I suspect that probably the Lucasfilm people have an answer to that, but they haven’t shared it with me –– and I wouldn’t want them to. I hate spoilers, and that would be the biggest spoiler of all.

"I look on a vision as one of many possible things that could happen."

Really Troy? Damn shame that Post-NJO Jacen didn't think the same.

Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DarthJenari Those last two statements. Truth.

Orman Tagge
    Don't even try to understand the Post NJO Book era. It's not possible.
    The visions get so out of hand, its not funny.

12. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Post NJO, the only things worth bothering with are X-Wing:Mercy Kill and the Legacy comics.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Perhaps the future Jacen averted was a future of good storytelling and the possible survival of the EU by instead writing it into the ground and making a reboot unavoidable?

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Sounds like he wants to undo Legacy or something......

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That almost sounds like what Revan did/try to do with the Sith Emperor.

It was like the Terminator said (paraphrase): "You didn't stop Judgement Day, you only postponed it."

16. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Or maybe the future he saw was the destruction of the EU to make way for the Disney films, in which case he said, "§%#& it, I might as well become a Sith and take over the galaxy while I still exist".

17. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe what he prevented was not the coming of the One SIth but Allana joining them (which is a pretty big deal).

Allana not joining the One Sith = The One Sith not being invincible, whenever they rise up.

At least that's what I've always thought.

Abadacus and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Allana leading the One Sith would have made for a cool vision had we been allowed to see it properly. Lots of fun possibilities in that alternate future...

Allana vs Cade would have been a neat revelation compared to A'Sharad even, as she'd have just been some girl that vanished, who nobody may not even have appreciated the true heritage of.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Idg all this dark man and throne stuff, I thought Jacen became a Sith because he had a vision at the end of Betrayal of himself killing Luke.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Like I said earlier. The whole era is unworkable.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Jacen became a Sith because Troy Denning.

22. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    The Story Group has averted that future.

BigAl6ft6 and Zorrixor like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He couldnt help it. It was in his nature to ruin Star Wars.

24. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    As the greatest Darth Caedus fan I know, I hereby summon Sinrebirth to this thread. Come forth and speak your mind on the fall of Jacen Solo!

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.