main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I really liked Jake's performance. And his lines were fine.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Aye, I love Lloyd and the innocence that he brought to the character. You got bits of who he was going to become (like the way he defensively lashes out and boldly proclaims "I'm a person and my name is Anakin") but as a whole he really made me believe that he was a genuinely good person destined for greatness. The moment where he reminds his mother of her comment about people helping one another is one of my favorites.

I still remember one of my favorite moments watching Star Wars as a child. I can't remember if AotC was already released, but I know for sure it was before RotS. I was watching RotJ for the millionth time, and was at the scene where Luke removes his father's helmet. I don't know what it was, but during that viewing I really made the connection between the innocent child in TPM and the old, burnt shell in RotJ. I obviously knew that Anakin would go on to become Vader, but what that truly meant had never really sunk in before that viewing. I felt gutted and almost depressed thinking about the tragedy that his life had to have been, and sad that it had to have happened to such a good person.

3. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I think the Han/Leia romance (and the consequent love triangle) was pointless in terms of the overall story arc of the OT. It added less to the story than some of the scenes cut from RotS.

[face_worried]
    *ducks for cover*

ps: I'd love to be convinced that I'm wrong.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The story arc isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all of a film, or even a film series. The Han/Leia romance mightn't have added to the progression of what might be considered the overall narrative of the OT, but it was a bit of fun along the way.

You don't have to add garlic to a pasta sauce, or oregano, or salt, or pepper, or anything, for that matter - but no one is going to rave about a plate of spaghetti with nothing but warmed canned tomatoes dumped on it, let alone come back for seconds.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I remember doing so when I watched TPM for the third time in May 2000, on VHS. I could now see the young boy and Lucas's quote that I read later on wound up sticking out as he was right.

"It’s not as apparent in the earlier movies, but when you see the next trilogy, then you see the issue is, How do we get Darth Vader back? How do we get him back to that little boy that he was in the first movie, that good person who loved and was generous and kind? Who had a good heart."

--George Lucas, Star Wars Trilogy VHS Boxset 2000.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I wish some battle scenes from the ROTJ novelisation were in the film, as they tie in better with the cartoon in terms of showing which characters were prominent, friends with each other and so on.

7. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Jar Jar isn't a bad character.

*clutches the side of his neck where the poison dart struck"
    "My life was too short."

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Sort of going onto Thuro's sentiment -

Jar Jar is not a character. And I say that in the best way possible

I see him in TPM as an excellent metaphorical use of symbolism to portray one of the key themes of TPM, while at the same time acting as a bridge between the audience and the GFFA, and in AOTC as a metaphor for the gullibility of politicians when put under stress, and the controversy of politics in general

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I think the anti cgi idea for the disney trilogy is stupid.......
    The more Star Wars articles I read the less I like the OT........
    The Clone Wars show is better than i thought it would be......thanks Netflicks
    Chewbacca is, was and will always be more annoying than Jar Jar Binks....
    Thats my opinion.

10. Force Ghost

Force Ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2014
    You're not. It was a pretty simple plot device to keep arguably the most popular character (Solo) involved in the story. Otherwise he and Chewy would've ****ed off in the Falcon to continue their mischief elsewhere.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. ayures

ayures Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    I think rebooting canon and removing basically the entire EU from canon was a good idea.

-E-, jbyrd1245, Valairy Scot and 2 others like this.
  12. Force Ghost

Sep 25, 2014
    God I really hate that one. It's hard not to jump, but I won't. I won't attack in anger. A path to the dark side, it is. Lol

sarlaccsaurs-rex and ayures like this.
  13. Force Ghost

Sep 25, 2014
    I wish Greedo would have fired first.....

Jk hehe

14. Force Ghost

Sep 25, 2014
    I have a few:

I don't care for the Rebal Alliance. Most of the people, their ships, their uniforms....none of it.

TIE fighters are cooler than X-wings.

I laughed when Luke got zapped by Palpatine.

I kinda got turned on when Jabba licked Leia.

I hate C-3PO. I get pissed every time I watch Chewy putting back together.

Han should've shot Leia with a stun bolt during the rescue from the Death Star. "STFU you ungrateful twit!"

Luke is only cool in the EU........same with Boba Fett.

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the Anakin and Padme romance in AOTC. They're a better couple than Han and Leia.

jbyrd1245, Samnz and DanielUK like this.
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    This has probably been posted multiple times but I don't really mind Jar Jar to be honest.

17. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Hayden Christensen's acting (especially his facial expressions and body language) is one of the best parts of the prequels.

wobbits, Andy Wylde, minnishe and 5 others like this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think the tone or style of the OT is some sacred template. Something like the rumination sequence in ROTS defines Star Wars for me more so than Han-style banter.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    A fan can love it all or love just one thing.

Darth Ardyti likes this.
  20. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That's just hearsay. There'll be more CG in the new ones than the prequels, mark my words.

CGI is underrated.

Andy Wylde, Seagoat and FRAGWAGON like this.
  21. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    I may be taking my life into jeopardy, but I agree. I think the biggest problem with Jar Jar was his voice. They could have fixed the whole problem by lowering the voice to a lower register, and have him speak some alien language with sub titles. I think that would have made a huge difference.

22. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Mace did not beat Palpatine.

Luke is my favorite Jedi. I like his calm, humble, and silent nature.

Galen did not pull down a star destroyer

Galen did not beat Palpatine.

Revan is overrated.

The old jedi and sith are completely overrated in terms of skill, power, and speed. Traya saying that current Jedi and Sith are nothing compared to the old is a completely nonsensical statement.

I think Dooku could beat Mace in a very close fight

You should never let your emotions get in the way of a vs debate.

23. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Before I let this one slip, let me just say that I "get" the brilliance of ESB as a film. I understand why people put it on the pedestal that they do. It's probably my second favorite film in the saga. That being said...

The Hoth battle doesn't really do much for me. Never has. In terms of comparing to other battles in the saga, it has neither the nail-biting intensity of ANH's trench run or the sheer scale of the battles in ROTJ and the prequels. The AT-AT's are a cool concept and certainly a memorable design, but I've never found them to be the daunting, HG Wells-esque horrors that people have elevated them to. People always mention that it was such shocking move to have ESB start with the rebels losing, but I've never felt like that sense of loss was very well illustrated in the film. We don't see that many rebels dying, and the focus of the scene seems to be on showing everyone escape. Sure they lose their base, but there isn't really a tangible sense of consequence.

I do appreciate the incredible effort it took to make all that optical composition look good in a bright daylight scene, but the scene itself is probably one of the less exciting action beats in the series for me.

Spartan Kobe , Traya never said that. She hated the force, and looked down on all who depended on it for power.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Han Burgundy
    Edit: Oh wait. I think this is what she said. I guess I took that the wrong way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8qfu8njNwLs#t=93

25. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    The PT has a better soundtrack

TOR, PT, etc are all more interesting than the OT

CIS/GAR are cooler than the empire

People who dont like Jedi rocks are blasphemers, seriously did you never play hero assualt on swbf2?

"the force is what gives a jedi his power" Jedi should rely more on the force instead of the lightsaber, if people in star wars bothered with more rapid projectiles the lightsabers wouldnt be so effective

Jedi should be as powerful as in the Gendy cw, how are led to believe that there worth 100 battle droids as stated in TCW?

Palps isnt the most powerful sith

Ancient jedi and sith being stronger is bs

Yoda should of not used a lightsaber that much, his tiny reach should of been an extreme disadvantage and he should just used the force

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.