main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Wanderguard

Wanderguard Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2014
    Jeez, the Saints retained Graham for a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Titus Young is a tragic case. He is a disturbed young man who had incredible potential playing alongside Anthony Pettis when they were wideouts at Boise.

I wish somebody like Deion Sanders or Michael Irvin would reach out to this kid - I know it wouldn't be visible, he's long gone from the NFL, but he needs someone to help him. Perhaps after his jail time wraps up, even.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Brandon Marshall's trying to reach out to Young.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good! Another former troubled player who has really turned things around in Chicago. Great news, I hadn't heard that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, he's been trying for awhile (ever since the first incidents with Young last year, IIRC), and yesterday on ESPN's NFL Insiders/NFL Live, he was talking about his attempts to reach out to Young as well as his attempts to improve access to mental health services for all NFL players (he's apparently spoken to Goodell about it)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I didn't realize how small Michael Sam is. The Rock dwarfs him.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11229559/roger-goodell-floats-san-francisco-49ers-levi-stadium-oakland-raiders-option]At[/url] the Levi's Stadium ribbon cutting ceremony, Goodell suggest the Raiders could be co-tenets there

1)This is such a ridiculous & offensive idea... for Oakland. If there going to stay in Northern California, then it should be -obviously they're having trouble with this, hence for this sort-of-thing via Goodell to come up, and the always present return--to-L.A. rumors- within the Oakland city limits, or extremely adjacent to it. It's silly -though I'm not an idiot: business wise, etc, I know why the Santa Clara move was made- enough for the 49ers to do it, so Oakland ought not to follow their lead.

2) I also find inherently dumb for 2 teams in the same sport (hello there, Giants/Jets, Lakers/Clippers!) to share a facility. A pet peeve of mine.

3) In the end, though, all of this is an intellectual/theatrical exercise... there's no way this would ever happen, anyway.

ShaneP likes this.
  8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Brandon Marshall has been a boss since his tantrum-throwing days in Denver. Good for him, and hopefully Titus gets in touch.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Great, but they still need to find a team to relocate lol.
    Also, hooray for teams reporting to training camp!

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Great, but they still need to find a team to relocate lol.
    Also, hooray for teams reporting to training camp!

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm telling you, well my not-always-correct gut feeling is telling you that it will be either the Raiders or Rams, or both, which would make for some rich irony/poetic justice.

:p

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm banking on Raiders.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    God, Tony Dungy has taken another turn to crazy town. He's very religious, and I understand that, but damn do I hate it when he goes off the deep end like he did with the Sam comments today.

Someone described them as "showing a stunning lack of courage," which I agree with. An excellent coach, and a good man, but I don't like some of the ultra-religious views at all.

Edit: I guess I should provide context. Here.

Darth_Smeagol and DarthTunick like this.
  16. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Aw, Dungy's found something else besides grown men cussing in an NFL locker room to complain about. How adorable.

Darth_Smeagol and DarthTunick like this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You mean he does something else besides mentoring dog killers?

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Yeah, I know, it's me once again bringing up the subject of Los Angeles collegiate professional football (over/under on the number of eyes rolling?), but with that Olbermann opening, we've clearly hit a critical mass in a short of amount of time -less than a week!- concerning information related to this topic, so why not squeeze out just one more mini-rant?

I can't disagree much with Olbermann's assessment there -though, we're not all beach people out here, damn it. There are so, so many other leisurely activities for one to do, activities that are much more relaxing than a day at the beach... well, for me anyway :p-, but I was disappointed (he should know better) that he didn't bring this up: which major cultural/media/racial event was occurring here in L.A. in 1995? The Orenthal James Simpson murder trial! Never mind the early-to-mid 90's context of La La Land DOOM to which the O.J. trial occurred in (the riots in '92, massive wildfires & other serious inclement weather in '93, the '94 Northridge quake (January), and of course the beginnings & such of the trial- the Nicole Simpson & Ron Goldman murder on June 12th, 1994, the Bronco "chase" 5-days later, and then everything else leading up to the exact start of the trial... January 24th, 1995), obviously being the epicenter of it all made just about everything else an afterthought. There's no way to exactly prove this as an absolute certainty, but there's no doubt in my humble opinion that the O.J. case played a role in the "indifference" of the Rams & Raiders leaving. Just because we're a passive-aggressive sports town (mostly) doesn't mean that the inherent reality of having the 2-NFL franchises leaving town in the same damn calendar year would be such a "non-event"; if the Rams-Raiders move had happened just a few years before (around '89-'91) or a few years after (around '96-'00), there most certainly would have been much more umbrage, outrage, etc, about it.

*gets off of soapbox* :p

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jaws has released his annual offseason QB big board. Discuss.

1. P Manning
    2. Brady
    3. Rodgers
    4. Brees
    5. Luck
    6. Roethlisberger
    7. Rivers
    8. Ryan
    9. Wilson
    10. Flacco
    11. E Manning
    12. Romo
    13. Kaepernick
    14. Newton
    15. Foles
    16. Stafford
    17. A Smith
    18. Dalton
    19. Cutler
    20. Palmer
    21. Griffin
    22. Schaub
    23. Tannehill
    24. Bradford
    25. McCown
    26. B Hoyer
    27. Henne
    28. Manuel
    29. Locker
    30. G Smith
    31. Fitzpatrick
    32. Cassel

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    First thought: Not even remotely surprised Manziel is not on his list given he thought nobody should have drafted him in the first place.

Second thought: Romo's rated way too high.

21. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Flacco and Eli are too high as well.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Flacco and Eli at least have Super Bowl rings. Eli has two even.

Edit: Stephen A. Smith is making me sick going out of his way to excuse Tony Dungy's Michael Sam comments.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Too High
    Rivers
    Wilson
    Foles (way, way too high)
    A Smith
    Schaub

Too Low
    Romo (could justify him as top 6-7)
    Stafford
    Dalton
    Cutler (way, way too low)
    Tannehill

I'm judging on actual quarterback play - how I would envision these guys if each went to a team of exact equal ability, and their success rate and rank.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd still rate romo too high. How many times has he been on the cusp of getting into the playoffs and blown it the last game of the season?

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dallas hasn't really had a reliable running back since Romo has been there, health or productivity wise. They throw the pall, generally, 30-50 times a game. While Romo has "lost" games for the Cowboys with key turnovers, if you look at those games (see Denver, last year) and what he did to get them to that point, it's generally impressive. He has also certainly "won" games for Dallas, a lot of them.

Is he clutch? No. Is he a prolific passer that gives his team a good chance to win each week? Absolutely. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.