main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Indeed. Unless George binned all the original film elements when he sold the company there shouldn't be any obstacles to restoration. Even then there are prints in private hands which Disney could borrow.

I would love for the Doctor Who Restoration Team to undertake this project, they take battered old film reels which have been rotting in Africa for forty years and make them look gorgeous.

2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

I have never seen anyone complain about the Sandcrawler. The complaints seem to center on
    1. The Rontos in Mos Eisley being obnoxious and in every shot.
    2. Greedo shooting first.
    3. That crappy CGI Jabba and the whole scene
    4. The end of Empire and the unnecessary added Vader interludes
    5. Jedi Rocks
    6. Noooo!
    7. Ghost Hayden

You say that you want the original cuts, but then spend time championing that SEs?

If the Despecialized edition can be as good as it is with no support, then Disney can make the OOT look amazing. The original elements are in the Lucasfilm vault, it was how he was able to re-composite shots for the SEs. Someone interviewed said the original elements are still there. Even the Holiday Special, which I'm sure he hates more that the OOT exists complete in in its original VT. Lucas would not throw this stuff out, and even if he said to do it, I'm sure the archivist just ignored him. Its not like he would ever go down there to check.

3. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Indeed. The raw material is all there waiting. Although I suspect the restoration is already complete. I think they might release it this year you know.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So wait are you now saying you are OK with the SE's as long as they make those 7 changes?

Sure. No reason to not have multiple versions.

I would like the "originals" whatever that means as well as the 97 SE's and I would also like versions with the original color timings but with various mixture of elements. So none of your above list bothers me in the least except for 2 and only because it technically doesn't work.

Other than for historical purposes to have the other versions or for a nice alternative the '11 BD's are definitive to me. Why would I want someone who's supposed to be Anakin when he isn't? HC IS Anakin. I think the NOOOO! In III and VI are great. I don't care about the useless songs in Jabba's palace either way. The CG Jabba is excellent (they could adjust the color to match the TPM model) and I barely notice the Ronto's because I am not obsessed with looking for them.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  5. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

I will tolerate the SEs as soon as the OOT is out on Blu. Hopefully I don't have to buy them.

The difference between you and me is that you come off as a PT fan, while I am a die hard OOT fan. You see the SE's as a great modification and update while they remind me of this:

You see them as a historical oddity while to me they are the real movies and the SEs are the alternative versions.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    Why do some people think that it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for Disney to work WITH Fox on a release? Look, these types of deals aren't always easy but they DO happen. Some people are just so absolute on the matter. Heck, there was a second Blu-Ray release since the sale happened. I assume Lucasfilm/Disney worked with Fox on it. I've never been under the impression that Fox can do anything without Lucasfilm's approval. I think the ball is in Lucasfilm's court. For instance, Lucasfilm canceled the 3D releases of Clones and Sith. Now, does Fox have any ability to release a Star Wars film theatrically despite that decision?

7. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    You are correct. All Fox has is the distribution rights. As was the case in 2011, it is Lucasfilm who decide if and when the films are released. The only thing that has changed is that Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney. The only thing that might scupper a release is if Disney decide to wait until 2020 so that they can distribute themselves. However, I believe Fox holds the distribution rights to episode 4 in perpetuity.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's no way that Fox is keeping anything past 2020. Disney isn't going to let the saga be divided like that and they can easily pull ANH out of print completely, giving Fox everything to gain and nothing to loose from selling the distribution rights to Disney.

9. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Disney could well end up buying the distribution rights for episode 4 as you suggest. Time will tell.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The 1960's Batman TV series is finally coming out on Blu-Ray & DVD later this year - and the legal tangles there were far worse than the current situation with SW. I can't see the distribution rights being a major hurdle to any further releases of the SW Saga - any issues regarding a high-quality release of the OOT involve factors that I don't think anyone here has a complete knowledge of, either technical or legal.

I'm quietly confident that we'll get an HD release of the OOT in the next few years - then we'll have another brouhaha about exactly which version of SW/ANH is getting the HD treatment. May 25, 1977 premiere? The wider US release with some minor picture alterations and a different audio mix? The 1981 re-release with 'Episode IV: A New Hope' added to the opening scroll? Original voice for Aunt Beru or the one we're far more familiar with?
    (And there's even more variations prior to the mid-1990s regarding the audio)

I'd be happy with just about any of the versions prior to the 1997 SE's, matte lines and transparencies intact, as the little tweaks don't alter the content or context of the originals the same way that the Special Editions did. I just want a high quality release of a series of films that were released in 1977, 1980 and 1983, warts and all. Doesn't bother me too much if "Close the blast doors!" is included or not, just as long as they all look much the same way as they did upon release.

They're pretty old movies now. I'd rather celebrate that fact than try to obscure it with CGI rocks, overly wobbly aliens, flying webcams and creepy blinking Ewoks.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  11. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    The two Star Wars crawls can be on the same disc via seamless breaching. The mono mix can be a separate soundtrack, like the foreign language tracks. Just hope Lucasfilm thinks to put them on.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    No, I'm a Star Wars fan.

Saw them starting in 1977 at 5. Got the figures, records, coloring books, comics etc.

Love them and love the PT exactly the same.

Yes just as ESB modified and updated SW and ROTJ did the same for SW and ESB then TPM did the same again for the OT and AOTC did for the previous 4 films and finally ROTS did for all 5 films just as each film does the same for each other. That is kind of the point. It's the story I'm interested in and since a few minor changes here and there from TPM's Yoda to ESB's Emperor to ROTJ's Anakin visually changes and clarifies things I'm all for them.

Not as an oddity a record. They are the alternative versions though in terms of the Saga of I-VI. The version before the PT existed to make them better, fuller stronger stories in every way which is exactly what V did for IV and VI did for IV and V.

Ideally I'd like at least 4 versions.

1. Original untampered but restored versions with all creaks in them.

2. 97 SE versions.

3. 2011 BD versions with minor fixes which should have been done between the 04 and 11 versions.

4. Original but with various fixes like Lightsabers, mattes, etc. Basically versions that are great looking in HD but adjust all the issues that they couldn't overcome at the time but knew they could get away with.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And this is what was meant by how they remember it. TESB is also different as initially the shot of the fleet traveling through space and the shot of the Falcon was much different on May 25th, compared to how it was by August 1st.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I want unaltered but remastered. What about ANH which is owned by Fox?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As I understand it, Lucas bought it back but the studio has a stronger claim on it over the other five films. That's why there's talk when that deal expires in a few years.

16. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Lucasfilm obtained the rights to ANH in 1999. Fox just holds the distribution rights now.

17. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Lucas got it in exchange for giving Fox distribution rights to the Prequels.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Nothing "just" about it.

Those rights are the film by all business measures.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

Disney can screen them in their backyard but that is about it. I suppose it Disney wants to buy it from them for 4 billion they might consider it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    This is the way I've always seen this whole "distribution rights" business. Lucasfilm owns the film and Fox owns the distribution rights. If Lucasfilm wants to release the film then it has to be done through Fox. Fox however, can't do a thing on their own without Lucasfilm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Qui-Riv-Brid
    Either you know a lot of what George says, or you're George Lucas in disguise

lovelikewinter likes this.
  21. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014

Personally I hope they eventually become just as canonical as the Star Wars Holiday Special.

22. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Disney can release it when ever they choose. They just need to use Fox as the distributor is all. The companies would share the profits in accordance with the 1999 agreement.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    You are correct.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney could easily buy out the 1999 agreement. If Disney takes the movies out of print, Fox won't have anything to loose by selling the distribution rights.

25. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    They could. Time will tell. Either way, there is no rights obstacle to a home video release unless Disney decide that they want to distribute it themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.