main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Official IMAGES (Link and Discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by EHT, Jul 17, 2014.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Below is another link to a thread in the 7SA forum. That thread is locked, so there's no discussion in it... just officially released images, pics, and videos posted in that thread by the mods. We have separate threads for fan art and leaked / spy photos, which I'm not linking here.

So if you want to see the officially released images (and if you do not consider them to be spoilers for you), click below, and then feel free to discuss them here in this thread. A couple points:
    • Please refer to the images in your discussions by describing them or by giving their post number; please do not post the images directly in this thread.
    • All discussion of the images within the NSA forum must take place within this thread only.
    Click HERE

Enjoy. :cool:

stormcloud8 likes this.
  2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Very good, thanks. So very little has been revealed during filming. We know that the Falcon will be back, along with the Wookie.

Oh, and we can be pretty sure we're heading back to Tatooine. I hope that's only a small bit of the film, it will be nice to see, but it is pretty tapped out at this point.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sort of hoping for another hot desert planet myself, and I definitely hope that Tatooine is very brief. It is appropriate to go at least once just for connection purposes but I'd like the ST to feature some new planets.

The Falcon--I'm just wondering how many more "special modifications" Han has made. 40-50 years is a hell of a long time for a ship, especially one that Leia needed to get out and push in the OT era.

I do want to see it but I'm interested to see how different it looks or if YT-1300 freighters are the Yoda species of ships.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  4. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I agree, it needs to look a bit different after 30 years of tinkering. But it better still be a piece of junk.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I cringed in the NJO when they painted it black.

That's a great Rolling Stones song but not meant for the Falcon.

None of that please.

I actually hope it's junkier. More evidence of Han's tinkering, maybe some aspects work as well or better than in the OT, but...it's an old ship hand-restored by a guy with more enthusiasm than expertise.

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They painted the Falcon black? Geez... kind of silly. Anyway, yeah... the Falcon needs to have that same rough character ("old ship hand-restored by a guy with more enthusiasm than expertise" is a good way to describe it). It shouldn't look all sleek and "modernized".

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Just added a new video and some images to the linked thread. ;)

8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I'm glad they released a photo of the x-wing, as that was the last thing I saw in a leaked photo before I ran screaming from the spoiler forum.

It is an interesting design. By itself, I like it. Yet, it is pretty safe. It is still an x-wing, just a newer model. What I really enjoyed about the PT was that they took chances with the spaceship designs. You could see the foundation being built for later OT craft, but the designs were quite different. I hope that some of the new designs for the ST do the same.

The paint is quite distressed on the side of the fuselage. I wonder why that is? As badly as it is peeling and flaking, the paint would not survive high speeds and atmospheric flight. I wonder if the x-wing was damaged in a battle on the ground, perhaps? And with the sand, I wonder if they were shooting Tatooine scenes?

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Its worn look reminds me of the OT, but it's not really more worn than most of the ships in that. Design wise, it is more OT than PT, but that makes sense chronologically. There is some interesting analysis in the SA forum about how the wings split, and how the way they split has some similarities to the ARC-170 from ROTS (so some PT influence in that sense).

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Interesting to hear that about the ARC-170.

I will say, the Tatooine video had a very PT vibe. Felt like a scene from TPM. I am very encouraged by things like that. I hope JJ embraces the PT as much as the OT.

DARTH_BELO, my kind of scum and EHT like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I really dig the updated X-Wing design because I want to see how X-Wings have evolved from ROTJ. We see the X-Wing elements in the ROTS Jedi Starfighters so the design is something that would pop up in the Star Wars universe. It's definitely on the beat-up side, which makes me wonder if it's a relic (which would mean it came out closely after the end of ROTJ) or a new ship that happened to be beaten up. Dig the sleeker look, though.

stormcloud8, EHT and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    It is definitely beat up looking! I had the same thought - relic. While it is pretty common for Star Wars ships to be beat up, the paint job on that ship doesn't look like it flies. In particular, in the first part of the video when JJ is in close-up, the blue paint is coming off in the section right over his shoulder. But if it is a relic, why did they bother making a functioning cockpit hatch? Perhaps, if the ship isn't going to have close-ups in the film, the detailed weathering is not important.

The good thing here (for those who don't want to be super-spoiled) is that they're only spoon feeding us things we already know about. Tatooine, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Falcon, X-Wing. That caters to the crowd who want to "recapture the OT vibe," but leaves all of the truly new stuff to surprise us.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, so far anyway they're giving us new stuff that isn't really that unfamiliar feeling... while the really new stuff is waiting for the movie, most likely. Pretty smart approach.

Also, I think that ship is intended to still be flyable... and it does have a pilot wearing a flightsuit climb into it.

BigAl6ft6 and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to agree with this.

EHT likes this.
  15. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I dunno - that ship, while certainly familiar, is still ever so slightly different. For instance, I can't tell from looking at it whether its s-foils can be set into attack position. I'm glad to see it, but I'm also not willing to call it by its lettered designation.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh yeah, I agree... on the SW Twitter account they called it an "Episode VII X-Wing", but I'm thinking it will have its own name in the movie. It's related to X-Wing design, but it is different. Regarding the wings splitting... the consensus is that they do, and there are some great diagrams and even GIFs of how it would probably work in the SA forum thread for this topic, if anyone is interested and open to going into that forum.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've been theorizing all by myself that this X-Wing may not be an update of the X-Wing design, maybe it's a precursor to the "classic OT" X-Wing, a Version 1 perhaps, which is why it look so old and beat up. The ROTS Jedi Starfighters had X-Wing elements to them, maybe this was the next step and THEN the "OT" X-Wings.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That's an interesting possibility. Kind of a previously unseen "missing link".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    To me, the pictures I have seen look quite different when looking closely from an X wing in various ways. I'm not even entirely convinced that the wings separate at all. If they don't, I actually think that would be pretty cool.

I like the idea of it being a precursor, or early incarnation of what we know as the X-Wing…

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A prototype?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed.

this is one of the biggest things that I am hoping for with the ST: that they don't spend all their time trying to make it as much like ANH as possible, and completely ignore the PT altogether.

This is a chance to really make all three trilogies fit together-especially story wise…

22. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh the Falcon video...good golly I'm excited for this movie! Made sure not to post my opinion until I confirmed EHT posted it in the other official thread!

EHT likes this.
  23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Security is freakin tight in London, eh? Not much has been released that's official.

24. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yeah, I was really hoping for more official behind-the-scenes stuff. I guess it's still way too early to rule that out - they could have been filming/capturing stuff that they'll slowly hand to us over the next year while they're in post as we wait for the movie to arrive.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The new character name "trading cards" images have been added to the linked images thread. They're already being discussed in the official character names announcement thread.