main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would you like Star Wars EU books/comics made for mature audiences?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    I think that would be pretty cool. I mean, Dr. Who attempted it with its spin-off TV series "Torchwood" and that was strictly for adults.

Also, Marvel (who, may I remind you, is also owned by Disney) and DC have their line of comic books made just for mature audiences as well.

Would it work for Star Wars, you think?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Define 'mature' - if all that's meant by it is swearing, shagging and gore, is that really 'mature' ?

(Torchwood was crap. Series 3 was OK, 4 didn't grab me. Nor is Marvel's MAX line exactly flowering.)

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You came in that thing?

Look at the size of that thing!

Sorry about the mess.

Rise my friend.

What are you talking about? It's already mature. And in ROTJ, there was a booby.

spicer and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  4. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    You mean like a series featuring an senior lawyer with traditional values and a strong moral code fighting the good fight to put those young Coruscanti punks in jail where they belong? Sure, i'm up for that!

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd like EU books that dare to break from formula and try new literary techniques like nested stories.

It baffles me that of over a hundred SW novels only one has been published, with another imminent, that is in first person.

There's absolutely no ambition on the publisher's part when it comes to Star Wars, at least not anymore.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What Ben said.

I'm all for more books like the horror ones-- I'm one of the few who probably enjoyed Red Harvest-- but I agree with Ben that swearing and shagging isn't what I enjoy (and why Torchwood underwhelmed me). I can, though, see the advantage in some less kiddy stories, as I don't want to see Star Wars become purely a children's oriented franchise, as there have been lots of deeper and more complex storylines over the years that I'd like us to continue to have more of.

Take Traitor. That's not a kids book. The first page alone makes that apparent with the torture of the Embrace of Pain. If that's what we mean by mature, then I definitely am happy to get more Traitors with more creative language and deeper stories, and so I'd definitely get behind some more... for lack of a better word, "literary" creativity beyond the same old generic dross.
    So wrong. :p

Riv_Shiel, Iron_lord and DelRiego like this.
  7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, that depends how mature they're willing to go. I can handle some blood and violence, but no nudity thank you.

Revanfan1 and DelRiego like this.
  8. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm not really a big fan of "mature stuff" generally it seems like it just means screwing or screwed up.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think Star Wars would lose a good portion of it's potential audience if they made it to mature and adult oriented. I like Game of Thrones and I like The Walking Dead because it encompasses everything that real world scenarios like that would encompass. Although they are very fictitious programs they still hold true to how people caught up in those situations would likely act.

However I do know there are a lot of people who want to escape all that brutal reality and I think that is a major thing that draws many people to Star Wars. Star Wars is like a King Arthur and Knights of the Roundtable type of story and it is a 'safe' movie going experience and it is a 'safe' fantasy world that you can wrap yourself in.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah I think if you want to read erotic fiction involving Twi'leks, you should basically sink to the level of fan-fic where you belong.

But, if you want them to take risks by exploring the SW universe with new characters and new locations whilst retaining the spirit of Star Wars? You're going to miss out. No, it's vital we insert Boba and the Solos and Skywalkers into everything. If they're not in the story, even at age 90, it's not possible that audiences will read it. Sure, stories have invented new characters and told stories with them. But who likes Dark Forces, or the X-Wing books, or KOTOR? Nobody! They want more Solowalkers!

Really, I would like books that aren't pure excrement; that aren't stupid attempts to shoehorn two genres together - much like Homer Simpson and his "Gum and Nuts", horror/military sci-fi and space opera don't mix - and aren't featuring senior citizens saving the galaxy with their trousers up near their armpits, as seniors are wont to do.

DurararaFTW and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    but... but Shatterpoint... Death Troopers... 80% of video games are SW meets something [face_worried]

[​IMG]

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    SW novels are content being McDonalds hamburgers, but is it really absurd to ask for the occasional filet mignon?

And just to make it clear, I'm not asking for Star Wars novels to be War and Peace or Ulysses or something. More like Foundation. Or Shatterpoint or Traitor.

13. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Heh. Dark Forces, Kotor, and X-wing are my three favorite pieces of Star Wars media, right alongside the Original Trilogy.

On topic, yes? I think? If by mature you mean, like Stover's novels, mature in themes, and not mindless rofl sex and violence.

But there's already been some fairly mature Star Wats books, anyway. The zombie books, that latest Maul book...And I recall Kemp's books getting rather dark and disturbing too. Star Wars 1313 was going to be rated M. Mature seemed to be what they were shooting for pre-Disney. Now...who knows?

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Nope nope nope nope nope.

NOOOOOOO

Gamiel and Ender Sai like this.
  15. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    I can handle nudity, gore, swearing all day long and definitely enjoy many movies, TV shows, and games that are riddled with it. It has it's place in media and enjoy it in the right place and time. But some things just have a certain charm to them. Star Wars is one of them. I just can't imagine a Star Wars movie, book, comic or what ever with a full on sex scene or someone getting blown up into a million pieces in great detail. Star Wars has a certain magic that lets it elevate above the need to be graphic and for mature audiences only to have it be taken seriously by adults who can't find the inner child inside themselves. Star Wars has something for everyone and that's one of its greatest appeals and keeps me coming back year after year. For young people is all about the flashes and battles and funny bits. As an adult, I still appreciate those things, but the underlining story, the emotions, the complexities of the characters, and deepness of the universe has given a sort of second wind for Star Wars after I grew up to be an adult.

TL/DR - No, the magic that makes Star Wars so special would be lost if it was riddled with sex and excessive gore and swearing.

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'd like Troy Denning's next book to be written in the style of House of Leaves.

17. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Also have to ask you to define "mature". If that simply means more descriptive gorey scenes, and sex then I don't think it's necessary. One thing I enjoy about Star Wars, and many other books for that matter, is that it's able to appeal to people of all ages, without those things. If we're talking more philosophical type works similar to Traitor or Shadows of Mindor, books that can make readers sit back and think on what they're reading beyond just the story, then i'm all for it.

18. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    This is what I would call mature. The scene wasn't overly gory but the meaning behind the scene blew people away.

And here is the second part a few shots later.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Doesn't matter. Whatever serves the story. Angling one way or the other just isn't good writing practice.

That said, Xizor got in the bone zone, and it. was. awkward.

20. Hunter of Bounties

Hunter of Bounties Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2014
    Star Wars could stand to become more brutal, the word "war" is in the name of the franchise, and what is war? War is hell. I'm fine with "reading with Jar-Jar" type stuff for the kiddos, but keep it out of the canon. For the love of God, keep it out of the canon.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No.

22. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    No. I would rather see Star Wars revert to the silliness of its Marvel/Ewok movies/Holiday Special/Droids and Ewoks cartoon days then see it get "mature" and dark.

I think Dark Horse and a few of the best authors (Zahn, Luceno, Stackpole) did get the ideal mixture of seriousness and wonder for Star Wars, and while they may have leaned towards the more mature side of things, any more would be excessive.

Star Wars is not the place for a gritty reboot.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want gritty horror/military/relationship stuff, and Mass Effect doesn't do it for, I suggest you buy a word processor and a shoehorn and write fan fic.

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I feel like it's been getting more mature for some time. The NJO did a pretty good job of showing the brutal nature of war, the toll death takes on people, not to mention the philosophical stuff in Traitor, and splitting the difference between that and the lighter optimism of the OT era. The heroes still get to overcome impossible odds and restore freedom to the galaxy - they just really, really, really have to earn the happy ending.

Yeah, they can go "mature," but they can only go so far. Not really into watching Star Wars getting a Watchmen/Game Of Thrones style Gritty Deconstruction. (Though in a "what if?..." style alternate universe, it might be fun).

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I'd like it - assuming these new stories would be well written and not just have added nudity - but I can see why other people wouldn't like it.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.