main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Human heritage" (The ancient conflict between the dark side & the light side of the Force)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Sep 6, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful -- =D= =D= Soaked all the details up like a sponge, especially liked the description of Gri's essence becoming 'pink healthy' again.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    With the promise to her grandmother that I will keep her safe, I leave the villa with Grianán light in my arms. Sorrow and agony radiate from her.

A chaaaange of heeaaaaarrrrrt (kind of) [/singing]

It's pretty adorable that he prayes for her too.

At least the creature looks like an ash-blond girl, but she struggles and kicks like some monkey haunted by a swarm of jungle bees.

1. hahaha creature
    2. Oh gosh, Dana. *headdesk* Talk about one annoying witch.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    :_|

So much pain and sorrow. But at least things are going wellish.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Good to see him using his healing forces. he can be gentle

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Excellent updates, Azure! =D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nyota's Heart, my father-in-law is deeply into Reiki & Waldorf pedagogics. So I do listen... at times.

@SWpants: I am glad that there is no book version of this story. For I can see you kicking it through the room... and guiltily picking it up again later. :p

@Lady_Misty: It is very important for me to show the dark side as a choice. A choice of feeling bad. A choice doing the wrong things over and over again...

@earlybird-obi-wan: Lucien wanted to be a healer right from the start, but then life and a lot of bad things happened. Before he started making bad choices.

@Hazel: You are welcome to the next update. [:D]

The morning holds the promise of a bright day. Through the large office windows I see gulls circle in the sky. The ash cloud has almost cleared over the past five days, but it still winds itself around my heart and soul like a snake. It always will.

My pencil moves slowly over the paper, while I softly curse. This is my fiftieth attempt to sketch the twins since last night. Each time I've managed Phrēn and Tāchys look too static, too frozen, too dead!

Stubbornly I go on, while the paper basket flows over and the pencil gets smaller. My eraser is barely existent now. I wished I was better with portraits. My memories of their adorable faces are still fresh and detailed. I am afraid that they will slide away if I do not fix them on paper.

A yawn escapes me. Perhaps it is time to go to bed, but dawn is already upon me. I bet Narthex is up already and his granddaughter Grianán too. Soon, I have to join them for breakfast. Sleep won't come anyway. Not that I tried for it all that much. My paper waste speaks a language of its own.But then I recall that the sad reason for my effort was my own doing.

I smile cynically to myself.

With the death of my children, all my good intentions for family life start to crumble. I am aware that I fall back into the old, unhealthy mental habits that I dropped the day I heard that I was going to be a father.

“Luçien?”

A child's voice comes from the door, but it is not one of the voices that my heart longs for.

“What now?” I ask sharply and put away my pencil.

“You are not okay,” the blond little creature in the door frame says and marches towards my desk. A small warrior on a crusade of happiness. I wish she could leave me be, but being her father's daughter she will not. That will be her demise one fine day. I am certain of it.

“I cannot see how this could be of any concern to you, Grianán.”

As I rise from my office chair her grey eyes widen for a heartbeat. Then fear and uncertainly get replaced with genuine concern once more. “I lost family. I am sad,” she babbles. “You are sad. But you hide. You hurt. All the time.”

This child is too perceptive and clever for her own good. I grant her a weary smile for her efforts to get through to me.

After a challenging duel of words and wit – Grianán is a firework of linguistic surprises despite her young age – I send her off to dress properly. In her culture there is no strict dress code. Telepaths look more at the inner values of a being.

I lean back in my office chair, thinking hard on what to do next.

The halva for the twins is still in the drawer where I put it after my last visit to the market place. I attach a quick note to it. Then I pull the bell rope for Tonnerre, who is busy in the kitchen at this time of day.

“I am wondering if you can come back in the late afternoon to prepare dinner for Narthex and his granddaughter,” I request when he enters.

“It will be no problem. Would you like me to make anything special, milord?”

“Grianán seems to be very fond of apricot tagine.

Tonnerre bows. “Will that be all, milord?”

I stand up, the packed halva in my hand. “Could you add that to the lunch parcel today? I am off to the main hospital. They need healers there.”

“May the Force be with you.” Tonnerre sounds cheerful. I can see his eyes smiling through the slit in his headdress.

Helping the injured at the main hospital drains me, but also gives me a feeling that I have done something unselfish and kind for the community. A community that collapsed due to my bad choices.

When I arrive at the archiepiscopal palace, I am dizzy and drained. Sionnach is rolled up in bed and more lethargic than ever. My words do not reach her. She does not even feel my healing touch.

“Has she been this way the entire morning?”

Éibhear nods, unable to put his answer in words. I see the dark rings under his eyes. I should stop pitying myself; his sorrow is as great as mine.

I gently squeeze his shoulders, “Why don't we ask one of the clerics to keep an eye on your mother?”

His gaze flickers nervously. “I...”

“If even Parhelion and I cannot make a difference, then you should not feel guilty that you cannot wake your mother from her stupor.”

Éibhear begins to shiver. It costs him a lot to hold back his tears. My poor son. His name is Elfin for ´granite´, but right now he is only a frightened child full of worries, hurt and uncertainty.

“Amhantar,” I move on, using his soul name to calm him. “You need some fresh air and sunlight. We will have breakfast somewhere in town, just me and you. When I know that you are fully fed, I will bring you to bed. We can also arrange for somebody to take your place at your mother's side. Why not ask your uncle, the archbishop?”

Reason comes slowly to his almond eyes. But then he asks a question that I had not counted on. “When do you sleep?”

I cannot lie to him. To his mother, yes, but not to him. “I don't,” I reply calmly.

“If you do not sleep, why should I?” he snaps.

“Because I am your father and you would make me very happy if you would show more reason than me or your mother can right now.” My words are terse and do not reflect any type of happiness.

Éibhear intends to shout that I am not his real father. Just the person who raised him as his own, but then he breaks down as only an overtaxed child can. I scoop him into my arms.

“I miss them,” he sobs.

“Of course you do,” I assure him gently.

That brings forth new tears. “I wish I was gone and not them.”

“Bad things happen in life. Things nobody can be blamed for.” Saying that aloud takes every bit of self-control that I have. But the boy needs to hear it. “I am glad that I am allowed to be your father. It would pain me very much if anything ever happened to you.”

It is late in the evening when I check on Grianán. She is already in bed, but not asleep. Narthex is nowhere to be seen. I am upset and need to vent, so I tell her the story that my grandfather shared with me on the day of my initiation as a witch hunter's apprentice. It is a clear warning against the usage of black magic.

Grianán's tearful reaction haunts me throughout the next day. A knot has solidly lodged in my throat. I am like my grandfather, a cold tyrant with no regards for others.

When Narthex takes his grandchild to the harbour, I follow them. I hide behind a gantry crane and keep watching the unlikely pair. They take off their sandals, sit down at the quay, put their feet into the water and hold hands.

After a while, Grianán starts singing. The ocean wind carries her voice to me. I recognize a popular chant from the river valley.

Solid as a rock
    Safe within the harbour
    Ancient as a stone
    Strong as the sea
    Solid as a rock
    Safe deep within the Mother
    And water that flows 'round me.

It is evident that the child has seen heartbreak, violence and sorrow. So far I have only detected the benevolence of her heart, the sweetness of her temper and, most astonishing for one so young, the endowment of her mind. I start to believe that she is not evil and am moved to show her kindness and understanding.

When I stand in front of Grianán's bed that night, I do my best to make her happy. I let her pick a story herself and I give her all the gentleness she needs. She has no need for more atrocities in her life.

DarthUncle likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    My memories of their adorable faces are still fresh and detailed. I am afraid that they will slide away if I do not fix them on paper.
    Awwwwww! :(

Grianan is definitely perceptive, clever, and a bastion of light and sweetness. [face_love]

Helping the injured at the main hospital drains me, but also gives me a feeling that I have done something unselfish and kind for the community. A community that collapsed due to my bad choices.
    Super insight here. @};-

Lucien with Éibhear -- =D= and heart-touching!

[:D] for this terrific update that runs the gamut of emotions.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Lucien does need to rest.

It is interesting how people can experience horrible things but some people don't give in to despair or anger and hatred.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Grianan and Eibhear are sweet and Lucien should be like them

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I've only thrown one book across the room.
    If I hadn't beta'd this or read anything else from it, I wouldn't feel guilty. Lucien is a jerk. :p

The morning holds the promise of a bright day. Through the large office windows I see gulls circle in the sky. The ash cloud has almost cleared over the past five days, but it still winds itself around my heart and soul like a snake. It always will.

This is my fiftieth attempt to sketch the twins since last night. Each time I've managed Phrēn and Tāchys look too static, too frozen, too dead!

:(

Then fear and uncertainly get replaced with genuine concern once more. “I lost family. I am sad,” she babbles. “You are sad. But you hide. You hurt. All the time.”

That is such an 8-year-old.
    Which he's not. I find their relationship pedophilial and creepy.

Helping the injured at the main hospital drains me, but also gives me a feeling that I have done something unselfish and kind for the community.

Oh yay, he's actually doin something good.

“Because I am your father and you would make me very happy if you would show more reason than me or your mother can right now.”

*chuckles* fair enough.

Gri is a good listener and a good friend.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    What a beautiful relationship Lucien has with Grianán :)

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Phew, I am still alive. It has been a bit stressful at work lately with all the paper work the Senate of Berlin City forces on us kindergarten teachers. But I luckily did fill in all what needed to be filled in & met all the deadlines. Yeah!

[face_party]

In two weeks time I hope to be able to be on-line again to give you more of Lucien AND my other story.

But right now I need a break from it all. I rather roam a city that can turn into an oven in summer time than sit on my balcony.

@Nyota's Heart: I fear there is more for you. (Had a child named after your favourite STAR TREK character sleeping on her leg for more than 30 minutes and then had severe trouble getting up again... for the leg felt asleep)

@SWpants: a) Lucien is NOT easy, never was and never will be. b) About Daná... it is only her heart speaking ;)

@Lady_Misty: It is, isn´t it. My mother is truly marked from WW2 and her experiences as a refugee child, just being 3 years old.

@earlybird-obi-wan: He should, but reality is different.

@Hazel: Let me treat you with the next one now.

Before you all are out of "food" while I am gone completely from the on-line world for an entire week again, let me give you THIS:

Chapter 15: Time to say good-bye

Parhelion, dressed very plain and in moaning, dutifully informs me about an unexpected change when he visits me the next morning.

“Sionnach roams the streets at night?” I echo, appalled.

“Not to seek customers. Did you listen at all, Luçien? I just said that Sionnach helps out in the hospital. As a Force healer.”

“I do not think it is a good idea.” I fold my arms in front of my chest. My resolve is steely. “Sionnach needs all her energy for herself and her own healing process. She cannot be allowed to lose it to others.”

“Just leave her be. If sharing her skills helps her to get whole again, I will support her cause openly and fully.”

“She is my responsibility,” I remind Parhelion sourly. “Mine alone.”

Sionnach hardly looks up when I come to stand before her in the ER. “I am here just in case the twins are brought here,” she explains hastily.

My heart tightens, but I do not correct her hopeful assumption. “Do not make it too late, my little fox,” I say. “I can pick you up later.”

Sionnach nods without really looking back at me. Instead she focuses her attention back on the broken leg of an elderly woman. Under her soft touch, the splintered bones heal inch by inch.

I feel like an intruder and walk off.

There is so much pain and sorrow around me. Families lie in pieces just as their homes do. I should be here in the hospital more often, offering my skills as a healer. All contract killings and political dances can wait.

Suddenly, a hand comes to rest on my shoulder and a deep voice booms, “Oh, my lost child.”

Warmth races through my entire body with one exception: my heart. “I do not wish to be healed by you, Skywalker.”

I feel my father breathe against my neck. “The city is destroyed, and your family is torn apart. I am so sorry.”

I turn around to face him, but he is already gone, as usual. His healing powers linger on though, unwanted. I march back to the Embassy, cursing him and the entire universe.

The moment I enter my office, something coils around my knees. I startle slightly in surprise.

“I did more paintings for you!” Grianán exclaims happily.

I want to yell at her, but then my eyes take in the amount of work she has put on my desk. Tears form in my eyes. “That is all for me?”

“Of course. You are so unhappy that I thought it would be good to paint as much as I can.”

Slowly, I sink down, until I am eye-to-eye with her smiling face. “You know what? I am done with my chores for today. Might you do me the honour of explaining your art to me?”

Her eyes widen and then she starts cheering.

Narthex rushes into the office, startled and curious. “Milord, is Grianán bothering you?”

“No,” I laugh. “Not in the least. She is the only pleasure that I was allowed to experience today.”

The master valet gives me a satisfied look. “But you would tell me if she is a nuisance.”

[​IMG]

“Of course,” I offer. “But for now I would prefer to have her sitting on my lap showing me her wonderful paintings.”

“I will inform Tonnerre that you are back. He and I can prepare dinner together while you keep Grianán company.”

“Actually it is the other way around, my dear Narthex. Your wonderful grandchild keeps me company. And I am very, very grateful for it.”

Grianán looks at me in adoration. We sit together on my office chair. Once I ask her the first question about a baby rancor that hangs at its mother's large back, there is no way for me to return to gloominess. The child brings forth a flood of explanations, interrupted by giggles. I am charmed by the enthusiasm and skill, my worries forgotten for the moment.

The Holy Scriptures claim that the Force sends angels to protect us from harm. Until now I was failed over and over again. There was never anybody who stopped my grandfather from torturing me for hours and hours. The pain I suffered back then is nothing against the anguish that I have felt since the twins were killed. But Grianán for some reason eases all the hurt inside me.

When the little princess appears in my office the next day, I am glad to see her. Nicely, she requests some art materials. I am more than happy to assist. The twins will never use their crayons again. When they died, all that I ever had of them – their toys, their paintings and other memorabilia – vanished into the Force storm with them. I should have considered hanging up some of their art in my office before.

While I watch, my special visitor makes herself comfortable next to my desk, lying on her belly with the drawing pad in front of her. It makes me happy and relaxed.

There is no bitterness in Grianán, no cynicism. She is but full of smiles, giggles and hugs. I will do my best to keep her in the light. She will not vanish in the abyss of the dark side like her mother Arcānā if I can stop prevent her fall.

After the service I return Sionnach and Éibhear to the archiepiscopal palace. Then I hurry to the Embassy just to find a note from Agathos.

Her Ladyship is back. It is for the better that your sister never knows that we were with you. I fear she would not understand.

We all will return to Draconis as soon as possible. Friends of mine will smuggle us out of the city. We can take a private flight from Chelonia.

I thank you for your hospitality and kindness towards my grandchild.

Yours sincerely, Narthex Kyrene

PS: Please destroy this message after reading.

With the letter clutched in my hands, I march into the empty bedroom. On one of the mattresses, I find a child painting. It shows the ocean and a breathtaking sunset. Grianán has forgiven me my bad temper earlier on today. I do not deserve her friendship.

Tonnerre comes to stand behind me. “Mistress Erythyr called.”

That name gets me out of my stupor. I wonder what the headmistress of the pre-school wants from me.

By the end of the week she would like to continue with the lessons again,” my secretary explains. “Twenty students are among the victims. She wants to get a child psychologist and a priest to help the young ones with the loss of their friends. There will also be workshops and other activities to remember those that are gone.”

I cannot take my eyes of Grianán, who has not stopped painting. “Anything else?” I ask Tonnerre.

Mistress Erythrocyte inquired if you raise Éibhear by the traditions of the Lidérc when it comes to...” He swallows nervously before going on, “... mentioning the dead.”

I am positively surprised about the vision of the head mistress. “Did you give her an answer?”

“I did not dare and told her that you will call her back about it.”

“I will do better than that.” A weak smile spreads across my face. “I will walk over to her.”

The school building looks like a lonely island in a sea of debris and ruins. For some reason, the Force storm spared it. I walk inside, unveiling myself immediately. Mistress Erythyr, a chubby human in her mid-forties, comes to greet me. I assume that she has watched me from her office window all along.

We shake hands with one another like old friends. Our respect is mutual. I consider her to be a very able woman, concerned for the benefit and development of her wards. She is well liked in this area of town, now more than ever.

“May I offer you my heartfelt condolences?” she asks, her voice calm, but her eyes watering a bit.

I nod wordlessly.

She lightly touches my arm and says, “How is Éibhear coping?”

My shoulders shrug helplessly. “He tries to be brave and not to cry, but when I check on him at night his cheeks are wet.”

She begins to study my features thoughtfully. “Would you like him to have sessions with the new child therapist?”

“I am thinking about leaving town with the remains of my family. My father Alezan will appoint another consul to run the Embassy.”

Sadness and understanding shine in her brown eyes. “Would you mind telling me where you will go?”

“To Draconis. Sionnach has family and friends there who will find ways to lighten her heart. She is not coping with the twins ' death well.” My voice slightly shakes. “She believes them to be alive and desperate to return to her at any moment.”

Mistress Erythrocyte looks deeply disturbed now. Her lips start to quiver.

“This is my main reason for leaving the city.” My gaze glides over the happy child paintings that hang at the wall next to me. “Narthex Kyrene advised me to take Sionnach and Éibhear to the Mountains.”

Of course she knows the master valet. “You talked to Narthex?” she says excited.

I lower my voice, even though it is not necessary. It is just us in this empty school building, but I feel better doing so. “One of the royal princesses was too sick to leave the planet until recently. He felt it was his duty to stay behind with the little girl. I sheltered them in my Embassy.”

“You are a courageous man, milord.”A weary smile spreads over her lips. “Not many would dare to oppose Senator Kairos Aletheia in such a way.”

If Mistress Erythyr only knew the truth, she would throw me out of the building and lock the door behind her. But instead she puts a parcel into my hands.

I collected all the assignments of the twins for you when I heard that your house was burned down to the ground, milord. I am fully aware that this can only give little comfort to you, but...”

I appreciate this very much,” I interrupt her, fighting my tears successfully.

Mistress Erythrocyte also gives me a good-bye present for Éibhear. “Will you home-school him from now on?” she asks.

I was considering that, yes.” Seeing the disappointment in her eyes, I add, “A dear friend of Sionnach is a widow with five lively children. All of them are of Elfin blood like Éibhear.”

Her face lights up again. “And that friend of your wife, what is her profession, if I may ask?”

I smile. “A midwife, well loved by the local community of mountain farmers. Sionnach has worked with her before.”

Your wife will flourish in such a place. I am sure it is the best choice under the circumstances. She is not really cut out for serail intrigues among a bored pride of huntresses.”

I intend to speak with Éibhear about my decision immediately after the usual good-night blessing, but I first let the boy tell me how his day was. I learn that he has been helping out in the hospital. That leads me to an essential question.

“Would you like to become a Force healer, too, like your mother?”

He flushes. “Papa, would you be very angry if I want to be a lumberjack? Today was a bit much for me, to be honest.”

I raise my eyebrows. “If that is what you desire and feel is your future, we can see how to make it happen.” After a pause, I add, “Perhaps we should move to Draconis then, where they have enough trees for you to practise. Would you like that?”

His eyes glow with pleasure. “Can we live near Draíocht and her clan again? That would be great!”

I promise to call later that night, and Éibhear excitedly talks about life on Draconis. When he has calmed down enough to let me leave, I first make a holonet call to Alezan to inform him of my costly errors. It is the first time since the catastrophe that I contact him. I was good at finding excuses until now.

When his veiled head appears on the screen, guilt spreads into every corner of my consciousness. “Papa,” I say softly and force my eyes to stay dry.

There is no reproach whatsoever left in him. I only detect relief and deep love. “I knew you would get back to me sooner or later.”

I do not deserve his trust. Blushing behind my own veil I state, “I fear I have to lie down my charge as consul. Sionnach is half mad with sorrow and Éibhear needs me as his father more than ever.”

Alezan nods solemnly and I love him even more for his understanding. “Have you picked a dignified successor yet?”

“Tonnerre will fit in nicely, but he needs a bit of help from the Brotherhood. Perhaps you can even find him a wife. Somebody with charm and wit.”

“Consider it done,” promised Alezan, even though his contacts with the Brotherhood are scarce. “What else can I do to help you?”

Under his friendly glance, I cannot hold my bitter confessions back.

When I am finished speaking, I hang my head and await my sentence.

Alezan does not answer at once. But when he does his words amaze and startle me. “You have a threefold life debt with Agathos to settle. He lost two of his children and his wife due to you.”

I am almost afraid to speak and nod my agreement.

“This is what you will do, my son. You will stay at his side until he dies and try to make up with him. His heart is forgiving, but he will need time to trust you again. Forgive yourself, but work hard to mend what can be mended.”

Éibhear is grateful when I allow him to have a good-bye party at the pre-school. At one of the street vendors, I allow him to pick out friendship bracelets. He is very particular about what he wants and for whom. Some of the kids he is not even friends with, but they had been dear to the twins.

I am also asked to bake three orange cakes and dozens of sesame cookies. Parhelion's minions give me queer looks when I roam the palace kitchen, but they know better than to ask me to leave.

We decide not to tell Sionnach about the party. She is still looking for the twins each day. Her voluntary duties in the hospital distract her, but not as much as I would hope. I am deeply worried about her. A war of acknowledgement and denial goes on inside her, and her utter exhaustion is evident in the dark circles under her eyes and thinning figure. Sooner or later she must face the death of Tāchys and Phrēn. Just as Éibhear did. Just as I did.

But there is something that concerns me even more: her loss of time. It's getting worse and is more than the actual shock she is under.

When Arcānā created Sionnach, she was in a hurry, desperate to atone for the murder of her older sister Adamah. Therefore she ordered her scientists to speed up the clone's growth process. Not even I can tell how long the childhood of my Force disciple was, whether it was a few weeks or if it stretched over many months.

Once thing for certain though is that her mental health is fragile. The dark side will have her if I do not reunite her with Draíocht Mössa soon.

On the day we leave the planet, I take Sionnach to one of the three daily services that are held in the city temple. The seats are packed due to the devastation that wrecked the city.

When Parhelion steps out of the vestry, he is surprised to notice us among the congregation.

During the sermon I study Sionnach intensely. She may be here in person, but her mind is elsewhere. Focusing is difficult for her unless she is at the hospital, helping others.

My half-brother's voice carries on. He speaks about hope. About the light of the Force.

“Can we go home now?” Sionnach blurts out with unexpected frustration. “They will wonder where we are.”

Tenderly, I support her with my arm. Seeing her distress, I do not care what the social protocol of my people demands. All that matters is her health. “Come!” I allow.

Sionnach gets up from the bench, her gaze inwards as we walk out.I squint as the sun hits us, but glance at Sionnach when she shivers as a breeze sweeps by. I take off my cloak and wrap it around her. We walk to the space port through the near-deserted streets. Those not praying for hope are trying to recover in the comfort of their homes.

I steer Sionnach towards the port. As a consul, I have a private hanger bay there. I even own a space cruiser that is well cared for all around the clock, just in case I need it.

“They will never find us here,” she exclaims in sudden panic, looking around in a frenzy.

One of my men hurries towards me. I do my best to stay calm and in control of myself. It would not help Sionnach if I had my own anxiety attack over her.

”Prepare my shuttle,” I tell Pochoir Vannes. “I will return in half an hour.”

I hardly hear his answer, because Sionnach shrieks, “Where do you want to fly to? Are the children coming with us?”

Her words do me more harm than my grandfather's torture instruments ever did. I am so worried for her. Somehow I find the strength to remark, “Let us start with getting Éibhear first.”

There is a flood of complaints. I listen to every single one of them, punishing myself instead of sending Sionnach into a Force trance.

(To be continued!)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I have missed you. A week feels more like two! :p [face_worried] very much for Sionnach's fragile state and am not surprised at the cause. :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Some children are resilient and looks like Lucien might finally be healing.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Suddenly I had a flash of Lucien force-choking Sionnach. :p
    Never mind!

Great chapter!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    “Sionnach roams the streets at night?” I echo, appalled.

She’s a big girl and doesn’t need you eing a jerk about things?

There is so much pain and sorrow around me. Families lie in pieces just as their homes do. I should be here in the hospital more often, offering my skills as a healer.

:( And yes he totally should. Those poor people need his help, despite how much of a jerk he is.

Might you do me the honour of explaining your art to me?”

That would be cute if I didn’t know how much of a creeper he is. creeeeeeppeerrrr

Narthex rushes into the office, startled and curious. “Milord, is Grianán bothering you?”

Seriously? Don’t you think that if she was an annoyance he would have left? Geez.

I should have considered hanging up some of their art in my office before.

Hindsight sometimes sucks. :(

Grianán has forgiven me my bad temper earlier on today. I do not deserve her friendship.

Yeah no, you don’t.

Éibhear does need a therapist, the poor guy.

The teacher is a good woman.

“I collected all the assignments of the twins for you when I heard that your house was burned down to the ground, milord.

A very good person <3

Today was a bit much for me, to be honest.”

I don’t blame him in the slightest. Again – poor guy.

he will need time to trust you again. Forgive yourself, but work hard to mend what can be mended.”

It is good advice.

Once thing for certain though is that her mental health is fragile. The dark side will have her if I do not reunite her with Draíocht Mössa soon.

One of the rare times I completely agree with him. Poor, poor Sionnach.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nyota´s Heart: Now I am fully back, still have 2 weeks of holidays, but I will spend them in Germany´s capital for there is much to see & to do. Besides, there are always friends to be seen.

Writing goes painfully slow these days, but I was busy with other things such as meeting @Cem_Fel/ Shawnkyr in her home...

@Lady_Misty: As a kindergarten teacher I can tell you most children are indeed resilient... The German term for it is "Überlebenskünstler".

@earlybird-obi-wan: Lulu should discover that, but being a Skywalker he is sloooow...

@Hazel: Nay, he would never do something like THAT! He rather would force-choke Gri.

@SWpants: I enjoy your mostly spicy, always thoughtful and fun comments.

Okay, I am back from my holidays and saw my elder brother´s "not so classified" home (but his work is...) and watched a lot of movies with his long-term girl-friend.

I spend time with my husband DarthUncle and his family, including roaming the heathland of Drenthe/NL madly looking for Heathcliff... ;) , sneaking inside an artificial "Hunenbed", being among dwarves & trolls in "Kabouterland Exloo", gazing at the paintings of Saint Michaelis in Hildesheim/ Germany, cheering at a wedding of a dear study pal and being with @Cem_Fel/ Shawnkyr as already said.

Now I have a Monday update instead of a Wednesday one. I hope nobody minds that.

After a hearty good-bye from Parhelion and after several hours of flight, my captain lands the space cruiser on a large meadow. At its edge a typical Udaler langhús stands a silent guard. Thick conifer trunks form a building like a ship' s overturned hull. I smile to myself when I notice the Elfin ornaments running all over the façade. Two cultures are merged perfectly here.

The front door opens and a tall Elfin woman steps outside. Under her turquoise headscarf her blazing red hair glows like a pulsar.

I stand aside silently, watching how Sionnach and Mistress Mössa embrace one another. Tears of joy flow like rain.

After allowing some time for the greeting, I send the remains of my family off for a walk. I have important matters to discuss with our hostess.

Inside the langhús is divided into several rooms. Two rows of posts run down its length, supporting the beams of the roof. The ornamented columns divide each room into three long aisles. As a result of the weight distribution, the outer walls support very little weight. So they gracefully bow out at the centre of the building, making it wider there.

I spot well calculated smoke holes in the roof. Each one provides both illumination and ventilation. The light is let in this way and the smoke goes out.

Despite the large swarm of children that inhabits it, the house is neat and clean. It radiates a homely comfort that appeals very much to me.

The beds are inside delightful alcoves. Winged doors and very bright, almost cheerful curtains frame them.

An open hearth dominates the interiour of the house. There is a washing line that is filled with dry herbs and smoked meat.

In the far end of the hall I can hear the occasional shuffle of animal hooves.

Mistress Mössa leads me to a round table that is surrounded by chairs. “Tell me, why is it that you think that I can help Sionnach to get better?” Her Elfin eyes glow in the semi-dark. “I used to be that what you despise most in life.”

My hands cramp into one another in my lap. “You did her good in the past.” Even softer I add, “And I believe you to be a wonderful mother. Just as the recently deceased god queen was for her children.”

I can feel her burning gaze resting on me. Therefore I keep my eyelids lowered, not able to meet her eyes.

“You speak of Arcānā in a rather personal way,” my hostess considers, interest swinging in her dark, rich voice. “Why is that?”

“We had no affair, if it is that what you mean.” My cheekbones feel tense. “But we have history with one another. That is for sure.”

Not much later a mug with steaming tea is put down in front of me. I leave it alone for now, even though it smells delicious.

“Tension tamer,” Mistress Mössa explains. “My own blend of local plants. It calms the inner dragon.”

Curious, I start drinking from my own mug. There is eleuthero, peppermint, cinnamon, ginger and chamomile. But I also detect lemon grass and licorice. There is the possibility of catnip and hops, too.

I lean back with a satisfied grin. Sionnach has come to the right place and will be the healer she deserves to be. I have nothing to teach her any longer.

“The Force never does anything without reason, milord,” my hostess says matter-of-factly. “It is good that you took Sionnach in when she was but a wandering child in distress. In your care she grew into a young woman. But she does not interest you, even though you officially made her your maîtresse-en-titre. I cannot help to wonder what your true motives are.”

I might as well tell her. But I choose an altered version. One that points more into Isabeau's direction. Nobody outside the serail must ever know about Lisiére. “Sionnach reminds me of my step-sister, whom I lost to House Tjiehennet forever more.”

Mistress Mössa runs a slender pointer finger around the edge of her mug. “It must cost you a lot of strength to let go of her like this.”

“Being overprotective with Sionnach right now would achieve nothing,” I sigh.

“Yet she is legally bound to you in ways that she does not fully understand,” my hostess gives me to consider. “Even if you let her live under my roof, she will be never free from the ducal pride. And you never told her.”

“There is no reason for frightening her about it now.” I take off my veil. “The politics of the serail are complicated. I am not even sure if I understand them all the time.”

“What if she ever finds love in the arms of another man?”

I feel my face twitch. “Laird Dian O'Gradaigh burned that urge out of her when he took her against her will.”

“I am speaking about true love and not about the urges of the body.”

Broodingly, I stare into my tea. “Believe me when I tell you that there are just two real interests in Sionnach's life: Éibhear and being a Force healer.”

“So she shall not know anger? Nor hatred? Nor love?”

“You exaggerate. Our Sionnach is a teenage mom still, when we consider her real age. I would feel more than obliged when you keep her out of further trouble.”

“The trouble that you will get her into?” There is a cynical smile on her lips while she says so.

[​IMG]

I decide to camp in my desert tent. It would be more than wrong to be at Sionnach's side night and day. She needs detachment from me. I want her to heal on her own account. Legally, she will always depend on me. That is bad enough for the two of us as it is.

Éibhear chooses a nice spot for us to erect the tent. It is a very spacey clearing with a little stream nearby.

“Why not build a house here?” he suggests, while I get the tent stakes into the soft forest grounds.

“I do not intend to live here permanently,” I assure him.

“But it is beautiful.” Hopefully, he adds. “And it is close to me.”

As dawn falls upon us, we light our camp-fire.

The forest around me still seems but a peaceful, enchanted place. There is no danger lurking in its dense undergrowth.

I put more wood into the flames, feeling relaxed and free. Draconis agrees with me.

Later, I give the boy a huge piece of parchment and a pencil. “Would you like to draw my new house?”

It takes him just an hour to make a construction drawing that is rather charming.

“That is a little palace, my son,” I tease him. “There is no way that I can build it on my own.”

“There are masons and craftsman in the Brotherhood,” he reminds me with a sneaky grin. “And they would all be happy to help you out.”

I turn the drawing around in my hands. “What about the inside of the house?”

He grins at me. “I want my own bedroom for all the times I will stay here.”

It takes an entire week before Alezan gets my letter, but he reacts on it immediately. One morning, a large space cruiser lands on the clearing. The twelve veiled men who step out are well known to me. We greet one another with the secret sign of our Brotherhood. Not much later six tents are put down next to mine.

As the wheel of summer turns slowly into autumn my new home has not only developed a mighty wooden spine. It also has solid walls and two floors. I am pleased with what has been achieved so far. The craftsman also turned me into a skilled wood crafter.

Just before the weather turns grey and rainy we finish the roof. I have glass highlights from Amnion installed, which are self-cleaning.

With the temperatures getting a chilly edge, we are all happy to be able to sleep inside the building.

Alezan has visited me several times and so has Éibhear. His mother has not even the slightest idea that I am a stone throw away from her. Draíocht made her believe that I am on a kind of pilgrimage. To be honest, I rather have Sionnach think that I abandoned her than having her cling to me in unhealthy ways. She must heal in her own way. I cannot be the means for it. But if she needs me, I will be there. As usual.

One day, when my men and I are working in the bathroom upstairs, an unexpected visitor arrives. He takes off the hood of his travel cloak and looks around with great ease. His black curls have more grey highlights since I saw him last. I also notice that his olive skin is more wrinkled. He has aged drastically since the drama of Polysýndeton.

“Narthex!” I call out.

The master valet gazes at me neutrally, his face an enigma as usual. “I have an invitation for you, milord.”

I think about a court trial for all my recent crimes and I waver slightly.

“Nothing of great consequence, milord.” There is the shadow of a smile. “My master would like to have tea with his new neighbour.”

I blink.

“It is about two hours on horseback and just twenty minutes in flight,” Narthex suggests lightly.

I step from one foot to the other, feeling like a teenager and not like a grown-up man of twenty-five. To ask the following question is not easy for me. “Does Agathos really want to see me after all what has happened?”

Narthex lifts a quizzical brow. “Would I be here otherwise?”

“But Isabeau...” I start and break off again.

“Agathos would like to hear from your own lips what has happened between you and her. Come around before the feast of Samhain. Once Her Ladyship is at the castle, it might be very difficult to talk.”

DarthUncle and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nicely compelling conversation about Sionnach's future and Lucien's reaction to her finding true love. [face_thinking] Cool that he is having a lovely retreat built and it's so close to Agathos. :D Looking forward, as usual, to Agathos' appearance.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    For some reason the description of the area reminds me of the area that I live in.

Another nice and fitting addition of the Jedi beliefs/code.

DarthUncle likes this.
  21. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    I do worry about him dismissing the possibility so quickly, that can only mean trouble if it does happen. Or maybe he just doesn't want to think about it just now, it is great that he lets her find her own place, for now.

I had to chuckle at the easy way the house got there: well done, giving Lucien and the brotherhood something non-violent but creative to do might provide a bit of healing for them too - just a lumberjack, Eibher you are crafty already :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nyota´s Heart: Well, it is always nice having Agathos & Narthex around even though they age considerably having strong darksiders all around them. The original characters are a bow towards the P.G. Woodhouse stories of "Jeeves and Wooster" plus the BBC series "Downtown Abby".

[​IMG]

@Lady_Misty: When Stephen Fry made his brilliant documentary about a journey through America, I was thrilled by the Adirondacks Mountains in the State of NY. So, I was desperate writing Lucien a true retreat after the drama on Amnion.

@DarthUncle: Thanks for doing all the cooking today! I sort of forgot the time in front of the computer, tralala! As was to be expected after our common holidays, which were internet-free... and we were somehow in the stone age and inside a fairytale.

DarthUncle and Nyota's Heart like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    lovely new update with the house he has built. And close to Agathos and that will lead to more

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    A positive evolution in Lucien's life and story. Great update!

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Despite the large swarm of children that inhabits it, the house is neat and clean.

*laughs* Yeah, that’s a shock ;)

“We had no affair, if it is that what you mean.” My cheekbones feel tense. “But we have history with one another. That is for sure.”

Not that he was accused of an affair, but it’s good he cleared it up so quickly.

“Yet she is legally bound to you in ways that she does not fully understand,” my hostess gives me to consider. “Even if you let her live under my roof, she will be never free from the ducal pride. And you never told her.”

She’ll never get rid of him and that’s because he’s a JERK.

He grins at me. “I want my own bedroom for all the times I will stay here.”

:D I don’t blame him!

She must heal in her own way. I cannot be the means for it. But if she needs me, I will be there

Yeah but you abandoned her, you JERK. That doesn’t help her and doesn’t make her think you’re there.

AzureAngel2 likes this.