main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would you like Star Wars EU books/comics made for mature audiences?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I am pretty sure we have that already, but I certainly wouldn't mind if we got more adult oriented comics, books, etc. However, as others have mentioned, nudity and gore seem out of place in SW to me (I haven't read Red Harvest and Death Troopers, but from what I gather they have a lot of gore, right?). There are comics that are definitely not intended for kids or even teens. Dark Times (my personal favorite) have some pretty shocking moments for SW standards; IIRC Agent of the Empire has some nudity; Legacy, DOTJ and Republic have characters that are very sexualised (that's the artistic style of Jan Duursema I guess), i. e. not something that would be drawn in a kids or family oriented only book. I'm sure there are more examples.

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    For me sex as a theme isn't really adult, it's more like teenager. There have also been some very gritty things in SW books, even ones for children (the illustrations in Jedi Prince books come into mind).

But I agree with Terry Pratchett in that a book is not dark if the heroes have to go into a dark wood. It's dark if they don't get out. In Shatterpoint Mace Windu is in really bad place, injured, people die all around, horrible things happen, but then he says "I don't have weeks or months to spare, this war ends today" and it's not that dark after all.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Is that too much to ask?

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just reboots in general.

Vthuil, Orman Tagge and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Han shooting first was gritty we're going the other way.

6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Usually 'mature' media means something more in the line of what teenagers think as 'fun stuff for grown ups': sex, swearing, violence, drugs. So it's really just exploitation of those themes.

I'd say no, because exploitation does not contribute to moving stories forward, which is what I'm interested in, it's just filling. Heck I'm usually not interested in characters themselves, just on what they do, what happens and how does the conflict progresses.

7. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I would like less Star Wars material made specifically for "children", so yes, I suppose I would like more "mature" Star Wars material, by default.

8. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Garth Ennis doing a HITMAN style story with Stormtroopers or bounty hunters would be acceptable.

His remit should be exactly what Grant Morrison told him to do when HITMAN was roped into the DC 1 MILLION event; "Garth, take the piss."

I'm sure an Ennis and Kilian Plunket (sp? Was it Plunket that was going to do the Preacher spin-off with him?) Star Was Sex Detectives book would amuse some...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can handle some nudity, but I don't want to see more blood and violence then in the movies.

10. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

You got nudity in my blood and violence!

You got blood and violence in my nudity!!

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    1313 would potentially added a more grounded, dire, and unforgiving look at the state of the Coruscant underlevels. A crying shame it was cancelled.

Still, I don't want Star Wars to turn into A Song of Ice and Fire. Especially now that Luke and Leia are back. Ugh.

It's not like such themes are absent,, though, in the EU and even TCW. We have brutality, death, child soldiers, slavery, exploitation, (near) nudity, subtle references to rape, and even eating of child sentients (as close to outright cannibalism as I think you will get, in SW). These things don't have to be as blatant as a HBO show to get across to the watcher/reader.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Only until Lucas got his hands on it from the look of it.

I will miss you Dark Horse :_|

spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Yes and no...

I wouldn't mind seeing a Traitor/Shatterpoint, or a Band of Brothers type mini-series (with toned gore/language), set in the Clone Wars/Galactic Civil War. Also we already have quite a few drug references in Star Wars, so we don't really need more of those. But they can keep obsessive gore/violence and overtly sexual themes out. With swearing, if they used in universe swear words, I won't mind, but I would want f-bombs or anything in Star Wars (I find swearing in general quite tacky).

mes520 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Yes, if by mature you mean good stories with sensible plots, where the protagonists don't act like morons (and lets face it, the NR-leadership for the better part of the NJO acted like that, so despite their grittyness I wouldn't call those books "mature").

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

That was part of the plot and it has been known to happen ;)

16. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    As an on and off project i'm actually building up a list and images collection of what Star Wars has snuck by the censors over the years, because I find it interesting.

The thing is, Dark Horse certainly added to things, but it was hardly the only 'offender' so to speak.

Remember the scene in I, Jedi where Corran saves the family from pirates? And the lead pirate had been... interested in in the daughter? Sure, they were mouse people, but still people. There were also far too many references to Corran being aroused in that book. And Jedi apprentices of the OJO in general almost fit the bill of child soldiers at times, especially in the Clone Wars. Even if you disagree, young Boba Fett. TCW also has things like creepily frozen corpses staring at the viewer, Hondo's creeper moment as he caresses Ahsoka's lip after rendering her unconscious, Ahsoka taking off the heads of the Mandos, the weequay serving woman being groped and slapping the pirate, and then Ventress and her kiss-and-impale of the ARC trooper. I actually reckon TCW might beat Dark Horse in just what it managed to get past the radar.

Overall... yeah. Star Wars in recent years has not pulled its punches all that much.

If it makes you feel better, I seem to recall a lot of the superhero comics I used to read from Marvel having some eyebrow raising moments.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Young Boba Fett has all kinds of wtf scenes, especially for a kids series. Though I still think nothing will ever top these from Dark Times, when it comes to what is clearly going on, well aside from Agent of the Empire which was pretty open about what it was doing ;).

[​IMG][​IMG]

spicer and Alixen like this.
  18. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    "Just thought I'd drop in, hope I'm not intruding?"

So much potential terrible dialog wasted. But yes, Dark Times did corner the market on this stuff, and in fact is where I drew 'eating of child sentient'. It's been a while since i read, and I actually only own the first (few?) volumes.

But, yes, definitely the comics made for a 'more mature audience'. They aren't amongst the comics I let my little brother read.

spicer likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Repeating what a couple of people have said in that I think we already have those novels and comics.

I just ran through a list in my head of Star Wars books that I will not put on my 9-year-old's Kindle any time soon. He's read material as dark as the last Harry Potter book, but Shatterpoint, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, the NJO...yeah, that will wait.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gorefiend likes this.
  21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Nope.

Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    I stand corrected. Oh dear...

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Didn't death troopers have some Imperials that pulled a Barney and saw all the zombies, shrugged and thought "when in Rome"?

24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    In Legacy I they also swear a lot. It's just not your grampa's swearing; this is the real deal

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah, also they were apparently not the brightest lot, as there should be emergency rations a plenty all over the shuttle they had hauled up in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.