main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Also props to ESPN for doing at the top of their in memoriam section what FOX failed to do the entire All - Star Game, mention Tony Gwynn. Not only that, but Berman practically did an entire eulogy before the in memoriam video itself played.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    In general, Bleacher Report represents everything wrong about both sports and click-baiting crap websites.

However, they have put together a great piece on athletes and their endorsements - seen here.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

The context: after getting out of the 8th inning yesterday, Rodney did his trademark arrow gesture towards the Angels dugout... during & after Anaheim's come-from-behind win in the 9th -Rodney still pitching-, Pujols & Trout gave him his comeuppance, as you see there. LOVE IT.

Darth_Furio and heels1785 like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fernando Rodney. lol. If there's one player in the league who should never, ever, brag about anything.

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't like Frank Caliendo, not at all, he's a schtup. But this is pretty good. Morgan Freeman reading LeBron's SI letter.

This is still his best, though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 Did you see him on Olbermann the other night? I thought he was rather entertaining & informative in that appearance.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

I did - his Berman is incredible. Had no idea Keith and Berman were the same age - Keith has aged MUCH better, don't you think?

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    In many respects, but I've noticed that over the past couple of months, his hair is a wee bit thinner (and I don't think it's because of a haircut).

:p

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    True, true. He's also been open about the shingles problems he's been having. Seeing him a lot more often recently, so hopefully he's beaten it. When he's on, this is probably the best sports-related show on TV, for me.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

That's why Twitter can really be fun.

:p

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785, PRENNTACULAR

Since the question I'm about to ask/the point I'm about to make doesn't actually belong, in full, in the MLB thread...

heels, I'm a bit confused (so perhaps I'm completely misunderstanding the point, but still... :p ) about your Swaggy P-David Phelps analogy... I actually like & appreciate, even though he's quite a chucklehead, what Swaggy P brings to the Lakers.

[​IMG]

From my senior high school yearbook (class of '04!), a picture of Swaggy P with an old classmate of mine at our senior breakfast. That's right, Swaggy P is a part of my graduating class!

Now, did I personally know him? No. I knew of him, though, and my brother played ball for a bit of time with him (talk about a lame claim to fame). :p But nonetheless, having a fellow class of '04 graduate from Cleveland High playing for my beloved Lakers? Hell ******** yes.
    :D

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I was moreso saying that at least the Lakers have entertaining players. The Yankees have stiff relief pitchers making up their rotation and leading the team.

No harm intended to your classmate.

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Okay, Tunes.

What do you think, amigo.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not Tunes, but I'll answer:

Personally, it irks me that Goodell said Rice's suspension was 'consistant' with past suspensions, primarily because of the Rothlisberger stuff. If Big Ben can get popped for six games (and yes, I realize that was later reduced, but the intial punishment was six) for something that he didn't even end up being charged with (I'll leave aside for once my opinion of the incident itself and subsequent investigation of), then Rice needed to be suspended for as long, if not longer because of his 'no contest' plea. Michael Vick got an 'indefinite' suspension for dogfighting, Donte Stallworth got a year for pleading guilty to DWI manslaughter. Goodell's suspension of Rice is nowhere near 'consistant' with those other suspensions. While I'm not quite sure he should resign for it (I haven't thought about it that far, honestly), I do think Goodell definitely needs to rethink Rice's suspension.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that's a good response, Juliet.

I question as to why the Baltimore Ravens have done absolutely nothing, as an organization. While I know that the Commissioner is the law of the league, there is nothing that I know of that prohibits them from taking further action against the player - their silence is quite spineless.

I have a larger problem with them than I do with Mr. Goodell.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I can't honestly say I'm shocked at the Raven's actions. The team did the same for Ray Lewis once upon a time. Only Bill Belick didn't make Lewis go in front of the cameras.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 I very much think Keith is on-point there, and thus I agree with most of his sentiments. I felt annoyed, though, at his lumping of Rice with Mark McGwire, given the extremely different natures of their "infamous" public performances (Keith's right to deride Mark for his nonsense answers to Congress in '05, but at the very least he should have pointed out the differences of their actions, etc).

None of what Goodell/the Ravens/the broader NFL at-large has done concerning this is at all surprising, though much it remains perplexing, and the overall message it's sending to women, to anyone who's been affected by domestic violence, is rather chilling. As much as I love to watch pro-football, and very much want its presence back here in L.A. in the most meaningful of ways, there's so much to be disgusted at, issues to take with the broader culture that surrounds the NFL... this is one of those times.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Olbermann's best regular segment is Fridays with the great Tony Bruno. Brings out the best in KO, and Bruno mercilessly tries to crack him. Tonight, as he was signing off, Bruno said "Good night Keith, you're hot." KO lost his composure and said something like "Yeah, good riddance." Hilarious.

Juliet316 and Darth Tunes like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    He then named Dan Snyder as the worst person in the world that night, because when Snyder did the challenge, he named 3 people who had challenged him, but didn't name Olbermann. lol - very Olbermannish, but still love the guy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    At least they got soaked, unlike President Obama who opted to just write the check.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Amy Van Dyken has now stood and walked, just months after severing her spine in an accident.

Unbelievable. An amazing woman.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

If Jack does this, that'd be great.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003