main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Cynically Reliving the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The end scene in Krytos Trap were Rogue Squadron quits is awesome.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I started to suspect Erisi was the spy after the aforementioned seduction scene in WG. I was very glad to have been vindicated. Borsk was such a jerk in those scenes and I loved the Rogues quitting–and Luke practically giving his seal of approval, too.

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Was good seeing Borsk again though. Complete pain in the neck as usual but still a breath of fresh air after the Post NJO mess.
    I don't even remember what I thought about who the spy was the first time I read the series. Probably was after other stuff so I knew it couldn't be him.
    Asyr and Gavin rock!

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Asyr telling Borsk that she was a Rogue first and a Bothan second was great, especially after the way he tried to play her Bothan loyalty as a trump card earlier in the book.

5. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I didn't really, as getting into the heads of the psychotic Jedi, there were still more Jedi than psychotic, and Jedi don't kill if they don't have to.

As for who came up with it, it does sound like an Allston thing. But it really could have been anyone in the create process, as it's based on a real mental illness (Capgras delusion).

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    From what I understand, Fate of the Jedi was fairly unstructured like Legacy of the Force, so if something first appears in an author's novel, that author likely created it, e.g. Allston with the Imperial conspiracy (he was pretty much the only one that used it). Christie Golden created Vestara and the idea of her being a love interest for Ben, for instance.

It really wouldn't surprise me if there was no series outline at all, and when an author is outlining a particular book, that is when the ideas in that book are created. I doubt they even had any idea Abeloth was responsible for the psychosis -- and Luceno's Millennium Falcon definitely implies that he thought it was something completely different -- and even after introducing Abeloth they had no clue what she was. I know for a fact that the Mortis connection wasn't made until Denning was writing Apocalypse.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    In the lead up to FOTJ I remember them saying that FOTJ was supposed to be low-key and nothing galaxy-shaking as LOTF was and see how that turned out at the end. Am I remembering this wrong?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    no

Millennium Falcon heavily implied that the Force psychosis would tie into Jacen Solo, and frankly that wouldn't surprise me if that was the intent when Allston (or rather, Luceno, though I'm sure he was going off of what Allston had planned) introduced it. Allana thought that Seff was actually Jacen when she sensed him through the Force, and all he did was throw a bunch of blaster rifles into a wall or something so it's not like he was doing some esoteric technique that only Jacen knew.

Then in Outcast and Omen, the Horns did two techniques that only Jacen knew although I forget what Valin did.

Then Denning had Bazel do the phase technique which I guess Jacen didn't know and that immediately proved that the connection to Jacen was a red herring!

I'm pretty sure that both series were done in the same vein as Chinese Whispers or whatever the PC and non-offensive name of it is, where the authors just ad libbed based on what the prior author did, and given what Luceno, Allston, and Golden wrote, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the Force psychosis was some sort of horcrux/essence transfer for Jacen and then Denning changed it and the authors were bound by what Denning did. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was going to like a_g's post until she ended it with a Mothma quote. Yeah, that's not happening. :p

I am still unsure why people think that Isard is a great villain. She's a bigger moron than Daala. Yeah, giving the Rebels a poisoned pill is unexpected and all... but it's also the galactic capital! I mean, good grief. The Empire basically starts RS as the ruling galactic power with a warlord and Rebel problem and it departs WG as a splintering and collapsing remnant of it's former glory.

Pellaeon envies Isard in the amount of damage she did to the Empire. At least Old Fuss and Failure would've had the good grace to fight for a millisecond before retreating!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have not had the privilege (LOL) of being introduced to Daala so I won't comment there. :p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd suggest that you read the JAT next, but I don't actually want to expose you to that much misery. :p

(Tbh if you imagine the KJA books as written for kids rather than adults, they become much more tolerable)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  12. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Just read Darksaber. It shows you Daala in all her glory .... and what happens when you use cheap labor to build a Death Star knock off.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like JAT is her essential foundation. It basically gets the ground work for her philosophy of "if at first you don't succeed, genocide!"

She's Tarkin if you sucked out all the charisma and middling competence.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    JAT is YA fiction marketed as a regular novel trilogy.

Sniper_Wolf likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I read a segment of KJA worshipping musing on Mara and needed a fluoride rinse. I can't imagine the rest of it.

16. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I think that's quite unfair to actually good YA. :)

Riv_Shiel, Sarge, Cynical_Ben and 2 others like this.
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To give the devil his due, JAT actually has some good basic outline ideas such as:
    Luke re-building the Jedi order
    Seeing Kessel for the first time
    Female villain and a Sith Ghost as opposed to a Jedi Ghost.

It's just you need somone with a bit more skill than KJA to work on them

Vialco, Sarge and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wait till you read book 4 the Bacta War and the worship of Talon Karrade by Stackpole.

19. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I hardly think Stackpole evinces "worship" of Karrde. If anything, he uses Karrde to show how much more awesome Booster Terrik is. :)

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm actually about to start it. (I'm at the pool, I always read at the pool. :p )

I thought Stackpole had used his character-worship quota on Corran.

But more Booster Terrik is good.

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Indeed. I want Booster to be in more stuff. I want him to take Hondo's place in Rebels as the arrogant and charming pirate/mercenary leader, only his arrogance is actually justified because Booster is legitimately that awesome.

TKT, Abadacus, Viperlord and 4 others like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Bacta War:

"We've quit the New Republic, can we have our ships back now?" LOL.

Nice Tatooine scene and introduction to Booster Terrick. Corran, you dumbass, how does your foot taste now? Mirax in the cantina using her family-name influence made me laugh. Definitely want to see more Booster.

Talon Karrde--is he handsome? The book gave me absolutely no indication whatsoever. [face_whistling]

I enjoyed the Corran/Mirax romance. One more that Star Wars has done well. There aren't many.

And Tom Kasansky Bror Jace lives! :D

Now I know why a couple of you said that Isard wasn't a credible villain. She was anywhere from weak to bat**** insane in this book, with nearly everyone who had once sided with her deciding, Oh hell, we need to get the **** out of here before she implodes.

I enjoyed Corran killing her but I actually thought Corran chasing down and killing Erisi was a better scene. And wow, she didn't hit below the belt, did she? 'You should learn from your father that it's not good to die alone'?

The Lusankya proved hard to take down, which was good. And wow, is Drysso an overconfident idiot. He made Tarkin look mild.

The ending was good; I liked Wedge's speech, although if his lacrimal glands kept working, I was going to think Karen Miller had taken over. (Nah, really, I didn't mind it, thought it was sweet, I was just surprised.)

Ok, favorite lines:

"Both of them had duties that kept them occupied and apart, and would continue to do so more often than not for the foreseeable future, yet the fact that each knew that the other was out there somehow staunched what would otherwise have been a hideous emotional wound."

"He watched the capsule until it vanished in a swirl of debris. 'Rest easy. I miss you all.' He punched up the power on his IFF beacon and pulsed its transmission out in one grand confirmation of his vow, then shut it down, turned the X-Wing around, and started the long trek back to Yag'Dhul and the war against Ysanne Isard."

And Wedge's "Here's to the Rogue Squadron, past, present and future" speech.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Should say that if you do ever read IJedi, there is actually a really good Booster scene in that.

You haven't read Isards Revenge yet then I see [face_whistling]

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I take it she escaped? Oh hell. [face_laugh]

Should've known. It is Star Wars. Nobody dies. :p

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    See the end of Isard's Revenge for a refutation of this.