main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Just announced at Comic Con. Set two weeks after A New Hope.

Written by Jason Aaron and drawn by John Cassaday. First issue coming in January 2015. It will be an ongoing series.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Here we go!

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Those characters look mildly familiar.

4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah but I can't quite place them.

blackmyron likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Of greater interest to me was this line from CBR's report:

Meanwhile, bow before the Imperial codpiece!

[​IMG]

6. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    So basically the same premise as Brian Wood's Star Wars? This is gonna feel weird.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Cassaday's artwork is great, though - Planetary benefited greatly from his stylings.

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So basically Star Woods, but hopefully with far better stories, character arcs, plotting, etc.

Honestly, if done well, it could be exciting. Not the most original, creative, or bold choice on Marvel's part, but in a sense it is them getting back to their "roots" in terms of creating the beginnings of the new Expanded Universe.

Okay, Marvel, here is your chance. Show us something different then the constant hunt for a new Rebel Base. Show us Rebel forces raiding bunkers & shipyards for weapons, show us political intrigue and efforts to secure support of worlds, give us a cool BSG-vibe as the Rebel Fleet is constantly on the run. Show us resistance groups in other sectors, show us an uneasy truce between official Alliance forces and reformed Seppies. Have stories about former Republic & Imperial senators secretly aiding the Rebellion behind the scenes. Show us the wrath of the Empire. Give us a good look at the fighting spirit of the Alliance. Mine the EU for the very best of ideas, shun those that aren't worth repeating.

DON'T go immediately to Hoth.
    DON'T go immediately to Ord Mantell.
    DON'T rehash old story lines.

Come on Marvel, I am willing to give you a shot. Surprise me. Delight me. Give me something worthy of the name STAR WARS.

--Adm. Nick

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but it also took 9 years!

Nah, it'll be that, but done right!

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess this is the only place they'd start with. But still. I hope they do something decent with it. Basically everything that Nick said.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    It'll be a "special edition" of the old Marvel comics - classic story and dialogue, all new art.

DelRiego likes this.
  13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Sounds like a perfect way to introduce Winter back into canon. [face_praying]

Abadacus, Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    If Jaxxon doesn't get at least a cameo, I'm gonna be upset.

Otherwise, I agree with Admiral Nick.

WMIRTUTSF and General Immodet like this.
  15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Who could have seen this coming?

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not a surprise they went with one of the busiest eras, though most of the older events have now been wiped from canon, here's hoping it turns out better than Star Wood did. And that Cassaday can keep to a regular schedule for the initial arc. He was with Whedon for that run of Astonishing X-men, right? I remember back then, the delays for Astonishing (and Ultimates) were legendary for how long it took.

Aaron... well, he's definitely a big name at Marvel right now, writing the current bad Marvel event (well, saying bad comic event is redundant, a good comic event is rare). Though its not quite over, but I've heard Original Sin is dragging on. His comics (Wolverine and the X-men for instance, as well as a few other X-men things, and I think there was a Spiderman and Wolverine miniseries too) tend to have humor, but also tend to have depressing/tragic moments. Not really a fan of his writing, the humor is funny but the angst gets boring after a while, so here's hoping his style doesn't clash too much with Star Wars. Not sure I'll bother buying it, I hope they don't just do the rebel base hunt again, as Nick covered in much more detail, but I'm not expecting much.

17. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Same characters all the time. It's boring. This Galaxy is too big to have books and comic books set so close to the Episodes, all the time...

18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Star Wars: Contracted Universe™

19. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    The thing that came immediately to mind is Heir to the Jedi and how it'll tie in with the comics, especially with their close release dates. I could see the comics overlap and cover what Han and Leia were up to during Luke's adventure.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope this keeps me interested since Star Wood didn't.

21. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Meanwhile, Darth Vader’s chasing after him trying to find out who’s this guy that blew up the Death Star. "

*Slaps face*

Didn't we just leave this party? Gosh. Star Wars Ongoing series seem like a frikkin sequel to Ground Hog Day.

Of course it's going to be the same. It always is.

22. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    There is something kind of sad about going from comics set thousands of years apart to having all Star Wars comics take place within a 1-month period.

23. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Well they are just restarting. I'm sure they'll spread out once they're done with this. Hopefully. The premise doesn't really have me excited. I don't think it'll be bad, but overall I feel pretty meh about it.

Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    so my question is, is Star Wood to this what DNT-LOTF-FOTJ-Crucible are for the ST?

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.

Next question.