main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Journal of Jax Pavan [DDC 2014] Complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ewok_Slayer, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I think so. I have a feeling she will be the butt of I-Five's jokes for a while.

Thanks. I think Norro will make a great addition to the team.

I would think that kid would me messed up when it comes to adjusting to the real world(s).

Thanks you. I feel sorry for Sacha. She got a lot more embarrassment than she deserved.

I was basing her eye on the Six-Million-Dollar-Man's zoom in eye except you don't have to make that weird audio sound effect while Sacha uses it.
    http://www.hark.com/clips/ywgkmvqmfg-sound-effects-for-the-eye

Thanks everybody for reading. My life has been crazy lately. I'm not too happy with some of my moronic family members and the stupidity they brought into my life...but what are you going to do...they are family. I guess I just have to grin and tolerate it for now. Anyway, sorry that this post is so late. I just had the hardest time sitting down and writing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Entry 31

Pol Haus met us at the docking bay as soon as the freighter touched down on Coruscant. He ran up the boarding ramp and pulled Sheel into his arms, giving her an amorous kiss.

He then turned to us all with tears in his eyes. “Thank you! I can never fully repay you for what you did.” He hugged every one of us including Norro who appeared embarrassed at being praised for a mission he wasn’t a part of.

“What are you going to do now?” I asked, wondering about the situation. Sheel couldn’t do public poetry shows ever again. She’s a convicted felon that’s supposed to be on a prison planet.

Pol turned to Sheel and smiled he reached out and took her hand in his. “I would like to give you a new identity as the wife of a police prefect.” He leaned in and kissed her. “If you would accept being married to a humble law enforcement officer.”

“Yes,” she gushed as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in for another kiss.

“Congratulations.” I gave Pol a brotherly slap on the shoulder and a friendly kiss on Sheel’s cheek. “So you intend on hiding her in plain sight?”

“How is that going to work?” Den asked.

Haus ran a caressing hand down one of Sheel's stripped lekku. “I know a person who can change the strip pattern of Togruta Lekku. The facial recognition software tracks these unique patterns.”

“Aren’t you worried that some trooper will recognize her without computer assistance?” Sacha asked.

Pol shook his head. “I know it may sound a bit bigoted, but the Empire is human-centric and to humans all aliens look alike. I doubt any stormtrooper will recognize her.”

“True,” I said with a nod of my head. “I wish you to the very best.” I picked up my satchel and looked to my group of friends. “We really need to get off planet soon. If Vader or an Inquisitor is anywhere nearby there is a chance of them sensing me.”

We said our goodbyes to Captain Kwon, Pol and Sheel and quickly moved down the boarding ramp and toward our ship parked in an adjacent docking bay. My eyes darted nervously around the busy spaceport. There were stormtroopers everywhere and Pol Haus’ talk about face recognition software made me nervous. I had changed the color of my hair and removed my beard, but I doubt that would be enough to fool a sophisticated program. I started walking faster until Den and I-Five asked me to slow down. I keep forgetting Den’s short stature makes it hard for him to keep up and I-Five’s Police-droid body was made for durability and not speed. I turned to Den. “I think we should split up. Our current entourage is a bit conspicuous. Go on ahead and get the ship prepped and request departure clearance.”

Den frowned. “Do you sense Vader?”

I shook my head. “I don’t dare reach out with the Force. I’m trying to keep a low profile now. It’s just every time we are on this planet Vader ends up finding me.”

“And then there is a firefight,” Den offered. “Or a lightsaber battle.”

“And my head gets separated from my torso,” I-Five added.

I chuckled. “Let’s try to keep your current head firmly attached to your body. Replacement parts are becoming costly.”

I turned to Magash, Sacha and Norro. “Let them get a little ahead of you and then follow. I will take up the rear.” I noticed Sacha blushed at my last comment. I really need to sit down and talk to her and let her know there is no need to be embarrassed about that birthmark incident. The two women and Norro nodded before wandering off at a safe distance behind I-Five and Den.

I followed taking a circuitous path. I could actually see our ship in the distance when I felt the hairs at the back of my neck raise. There was a Sith somewhere close by. My danger senses bristled as I casually gazed across the docking port trying to appear nonchalant. Eventually I saw him. A Sith Inquisitor walked out from a side corridor about two hundred meters from me. His black and red outfit made the man very noticeable. Before we could lock eyes I turned down a side street and contacted Den by comlink.

“Den, I think I’ve been spotted by an Inquisitor. I’ll try to move to the lower levels and elude him, but I need you to get everybody off planet now! Don’t wait for me. I’ll find another way to home base.”

“Jax, we won’t leave you.”

I ducked into a turbolift and moved five levels down into Coruscant’s underbelly. “For Force-sake, why doesn’t anybody ever listen to me?” I yelled into the communication device. “Get out of here and I will rendezvous with you somewhere else!”

I shut down the comlink ending further conversation. I was now completely positive that my decision to leave Whiplash and Coruscant was a good one. I only hoped that I could escape this Sith infested planet one last time.

I exited the turbolift and ran down a dingy pedestrian lane lining a cluster of grimy bars, cheap hotels, skinholo theaters, and shops selling a variety of erotic toys. “Damn, I’m on Sleaze Row.” I walked by a store window where a scantily clad Twi’lek sat in a chair trying to look alluring. Above her was a neon sign advertising ‘Private dances.’

I saw movement in the distance. It was the flicker of red and black. I didn’t wait to confirm it was an Inquisitor. I ducked into the nearest storefront only to find myself in a leather domination shop. I moved to the back of the store while scouting for an exit.

“Can I help you?” I turned to see a man in his early twenties eyeing me. He wore leather pants and was shirtless with the exception of two leather straps crossing his chest in an X pattern.

I looked to the back of the store. “Do you have a back exit?”

His brow rose in amusement. “If you mean my pants…” He turned around to reveal that they were backless chaps. He slapped his behind and grinned over his shoulder. “There is definitely an exit.”

I blushed and looked away. “I meant in this store.”

The man turned around looking disappointed. “Why? Did somebody spot you coming in here? The boss, a wife?” He gave me an appraising look. “Or a boyfriend.”

I kept looking at the front of the shop expecting the Inquisitor to walk in any minute. “A boss,” I lied.

The man gave me an apologetic look. “Sorry, there isn’t another way out. Can I sell you a mask?” He walked to a shelf and held up a full leather mask with only eyeholes. “How about this beauty to make your escape?”

“Do you have something that won’t make people stare at me in public?”

He shook his head in annoyance tussling his shoulder length blond hair. “How about this?” He held up a black latex gas mask with large transparisteel eyepieces and a single hose coming from the mouthpiece to a rebreather bag. “It is used by various species of near-humans who have trouble handling the polluted air on Coruscant. Nobody would give you a second look if you wore this.”

“Fine, fine, how much?”

He quoted me a price and I paid it. I put the mask over my face and grimaced when I breathed in the smell of sweat and body odor. I took off my jacket and reversed it so the lighter colored lining was facing out and then slipped out of the shop. I didn’t see the Inquisitor and I hoped he had walked by the shop without noticing me.

I moved down a dark alley in an effort to avoid high traffic areas. I really thought I eluded the Sith when I heard the very familiar snap hiss of a lightsaber up ahead. Around the corner came a young man—probably a teenager—in an Inquisitor outfit and carrying a red lightsaber. I reached to a side pocket and pulled out the Sith saber I carried on Despayre. When I ignited its red blade the boy hesitated. “Are you an Inquisitor?”

I saw my chance to talk my way out of this situation. “Of course I’m an Inquisitor.” I was relieved that my voice sounded deep, calm and foreboding through the mask. “Who are you? I don’t recognize you!”

The boy let the blade of his saber dip slightly. “I’m Inquisitor Apprentice Holt…I’m the rank of Plebian.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant by that, but I did know the new Imperial Academy designated freshmen students as Plebes. I assumed this indicated he was a youngling Sith recruit. I kept my saber at the guard position. “How old are you?”

“fifteen sir.”

I turned off my saber but kept it ready in my hand. “You are too young to realize your mistake. Get out of here before I inform your Master.”

He deactivated his saber and was about to turn when I heard another lightsaber activate. “Not so fast.” I turned to find another youngling Sith wannabe coming up from behind me. He was human with blond hair and the start of an adolescent fuzzy mustache. “You need to call this in, Holt. I can sense he is a Force sensitive and just because he has a red lightsaber doesn’t mean he’s Sith.” He eyed me suspiciously. "We might have a rogue Jedi."

Great,’ I thought. ‘I had to run into a Sith with a brain.’

I reactivated my saber and tried to sprint past the newcomer. He did a Force leap to block my path and brought his saber down in a sweeping arc toward my head. I countered his strike with a block and a then counterattacked. I could heard the hiss of the fifteen-year-old’s saber behind me and the sound of boots moving toward my position. Without turning I threw out my empty hand in his direction and Force shoved the youngster backwards. I heard a grunt as the boy hit something hard. The second Sith was swinging his saber wildly. They both were novice fighters and I knew I could easily dispatch the two, but I just couldn’t bring myself to kill children. I remember the deep feeling of despair and disgust that ran through my gut when I discovered all the younglings in the Temple crèche were murdered…eviscerated by a lightsaber. To think my old friend Anakin was most likely the person who committed such an atrocity made me sick. I never want to be like him. I was no child killer.

The youngling behind me must have caught his breath. He let out a wild yell and ran towards me. I could hear his approach and the hum of his saber. I blocked and parried with the second Sith until the last second. I then did a flying back flip intending on getting both boys behind me so I could make a run for it. As I completed my acrobatic maneuver I heard two screams and then the deactivation of the sabers. I landed in a crouch position, lightsaber in hand, when something rolled toward me and bumped into my boot. I looked down to see the head of the fifteen-year-old at my feet, decapitated by his friend’s blade.

I looked to the other boy and realized he was also mortally wounded. He was gasping for breath as he sat on the ground trying to hold his intestines inside his body. Blood oozed from the gash and my heart broke as I heard the boy cry. He cried like a child, not a Sith apprentice. I walked toward him cautiously and kicked his lightsaber away from his reach. I deactivated my saber and knelt down next to the boy. I was still wearing my mask and I hoped he wouldn’t be able to describe me if he survived. I searched through his pockets as he wept and found his comlink. I pushed the emergency alert and then left the boy bleeding and sobbing. The comlink should give the young man’s location. With any luck he might get medical help in time.

I ran down the street and back into a turbolift. I rode the lift back up to the docking bay level. Hopefully, I could purchase a seat on the next transport off planet. When I arrived to the dock I swore softly when I realized the Laranth hadn’t taken off yet. I would be mad if I wasn’t so happy to see the ship. It had its engines on, but his loading ramp down. I sprinted across the bay and up the ramp while taking off my mask. “Let’s get out of here!”

I collapsed on the deck more out of despondency than exhaustion. I could hear the mechanical whine as the ramp as it raised and the hum of the engines as they slowly lifted the ship to a hover before it turned and raced out of the bay and into the bright Coruscant sky.

Chyntuck, Revanfan1 and Kahara like this.
  2. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Yay! It lives! :D

Nice to see Sheel and Pol reunited. Hope the pattern-changing thing works to keep her off the Imps' radar.

Indeed. :p

Jax would be the one to wander into the leather shop. [face_laugh]

The encounter with the teenaged Inquisitors was sad -- potentially hints that they are recruiting young because they've run through so many of the older Force-sensitives. Horrible accident with them injuring each other in their inexperience. Liked that Jax tried to summon help, though I suspect his "rescued" baby Inquisitor isn't going to be happy if he survives.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Good to see Jax escape and give some help to the boy
    Nice to see Pol Haus and Sheel united and getting married

Kahara likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay for Pol and Sheel :) Whew, Jax handled both opponents very expertly but wow, they injured each other; hopefully medical help will arrive on time. LOL on the leather shop and Sacha's continued mortification. [face_mischief]

Kahara likes this.
  5. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I figure the Sith would want to train their Inquisitors as young as possible, but the fact that they are using these very young apprentices in real world situations is disturbing. I also thought the Jedi had a habit of kidnapping youngsters with Force potential, so the amount of untrained Force users is probably limited.

Thanks. I figured Jax probably should fight somebody at some time. :p

Maybe the one boy will survive, but the one without the head is probably dead...but you never know. I thought Darth Maul was dead, but TCW writers thought otherwise. :p

I am sorry that this is another very short chapter. My schedule has been crazy. I am hoping when school starts back up I will get back to a regular routine.

Entry 32

I sat on the deck for a few minutes catching my breath as I tried to come to terms with what just happened. Those Sith apprentices were so young. One was only two years older than Norro. The fact that the Emperor and his minions were recruiting children disturbed me. I suppose it was similar to the way the Jedi took children as babies and toddlers to train, but Jedi were educated to defend and protect…not to kill and subjugate.

“Are you well, Jax?” I-Five clanked up along side of me before bending over and picking up the mask I purchased. He held it up and made a sound resembling a snort. “I was unaware that your plans included shopping in the lower levels.” He turned the mask around in his mechanical hands. “Is there a reason why you purchased a faux Ruusan Reformation era latex bondage mask?”

“It’s not a bondage mask!" I shot back. "It's a common re-breather mask. I was using it as a disguise.”

I-Five looked at the mask and back to me before he turned the disguise around and put his metallic finger through a durasteel loop in the back. “First of all re-breathers are made of rubber and not latex and secondly…they usually don’t come with a leash ring at the back of the neck.”

My face flushed when I realized he was right. The bottom of the mask was actually a studded collar with a restraint loop at the rear. I grabbed the mask out of his hands and scowled. “I was in a hurry and my options were limited.”

“A hurry? You mean you didn’t purchase the matching leather dungeon dweller trousers?”

I know I-Five is just being his usual smart-mouth self, but I really wasn’t in the mood for joviality after watching two teenagers kill each other. “Knock it off!” I said a little too loud and brusquely than was actually warranted…after all, nobody on the ship knew anything other than an Inquisitor spotted me and I managed to evade him. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in the mood to explain. I instead stormed toward my quarters. I remember seeing Norro standing off to the side with Magash looking concerned. Sacha tried to talk to me as I walked past her, but I ignored the woman. I soon discovered Sacha is not a female that is easily disregarded. As I walked into my quarters she followed behind right on my heels, so close the door almost hit the back of her head as it slid shut.

I tossed the mask down on the deck and let loose a frustrated breath. “Please leave me alone.”

She crossed her arms in front of her chest and gave me a determined look. “Not until you tell me what happened. I may not be a Jedi, but I can feel pain and sadness radiating from you through the Force. What happened?”

I tried to talk but I could feel the control over my emotions faltering. I instead shook my head and turned away.

“Jax, what happened? Are we being followed? Did Vader sense you? We need to know what’s wrong.”

I heaved a sigh. Of course she was right. If my despondency stemmed from being identified we couldn’t go straight back to Toprawa. “I don’t think my specific identity was compromised…at least not yet. But after the Inquisitors find two Sith Apprentices killed by a lightsaber in the lower levels they will know a Jedi was on planet.” I walked to my small couch and dropped down heavily on the cushions. Sacha sat down next to me and grabbed my hand, giving it a comforting squeeze.

“You killed two Sith?”

I couldn’t help but hear the awe in her voice. I gave a scathing chuckle accompanied by a shake of my head. “No they killed each other.”

Her brow went up in surprise. “They killed each other? How?”

My jaw tightened and my mouth stretched to a thin grim line. “They were Sith younglings…apprentices. They were barely trained and shouldn’t have been given a lightsaber. They came at me from opposite sides and when I jumped out of the way they accidentally sliced each other.” I exhaled loudly and dropped my head onto my free hand, my elbow propped on my knee. “One was only fifteen years old. The other boy looked just as young or younger.” I turned my head so I could look her in the eyes. “They were children and had to hear one boy cry…sob like a baby as his life blood drained from his body.”

I was waiting for Sacha to tell me that it wasn’t my fault, they brought it on themselves, that it was either them or me—all of which wouldn’t make me feel one iota better—but she didn’t. She reached an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a warm reassuring hug. “I’m sorry that happened.” She gave me a gentle squeeze. “What can I do to help?”

I tentatively wrapped my arms around her and returned the embrace but soon memories of Laranth flooded my mind. Whenever I was depressed or distraught she would hold me in her arms and reassure me in the same manner. A pang of guilt gripped my heart and I quickly detangled myself from Sacha’s arms. She looked disappointed, but, after an awkward pause, she scooted away until we were no longer touching each other. She cleared her throat and stood. “If you ever want to talk about anything. I’m here for you.”

I nodded. “Thanks.” She moved to step away but I reached out and caught her hand. “Sacha, I want to thank you for helping me on Despayre. I know you are embarrassed by…what you revealed, but don’t. I don’t want anything coming between us…especially something as trivial as you accidentally seeing something unwanted.”

Her brow furrowed in confusion. “Unwanted?”

I gave her an embarrassed smile. “Seeing my backside.”

“Ohhh!” She said quickly. “Yeah, um…I don’t want your backside coming between us either.” She stopped and thought about what she said. “I don’t mean your backside coming between us…I mean seeing your embarrassing backside.” She stopped and looked completely flustered. "Not that you have an embarrassing looking backside…it looks great, but having to reveal to strangers and your friends I saw your backside…and then zoomed in…” She turned bright red and turned to depart but my hand still clutched hers. I laughed at her ramblings knowing exactly what she was doing. I stood and faced her with a wide grin on my lips.

“Sacha, I know this discombobulated soliloquy is an act aimed to cheer me up and I appreciate it.” I leaned in and gave her a platonic kiss on her cheek. “I guess we should go talk to Den about taking a circuitous route back to Toprawa and maybe changing out our transponder a few times during the journey.”

Sacha brought a hand up to where I kissed her and gazed at me slack jawed. I started to wonder if I overstepped my bounds and offended her by my friendly gesture, but she soon returned my smile and walked me to my cabin door. “I’m glad I helped you feel a little better.” She reached down and picked up the mask I discarded on the floor earlier. As she turned to me I could see a glint of humor in her eyes. “Did you want this? Or do you want me to throw it away.”

I thought about it for a moment. It may be a fake re-breather, but it did appear to fool most residents of Coruscant. I possibly could use it as a disguise again, sans the studded collar. I reached out and took it from her hand. “I’ll keep it. I may come in handy one day.”

A teasing laugh escaped her lips as she walked out the door. “Let me know if you ever need help with that.”

Now it was my turn to blush. “As a disguise.”

She chuckled as she walked to the flight deck. “I know that, Master Pavan.”

All I could do was shake my head knowing I haven't heard the last of this.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Jax is great, showing his emotions and concern at the death of the children.
    And the teasing of I-five and Sacha[face_laugh] a common rebreather mask[face_laugh]

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jax lighting into I-Five - totally understandable. Love Sacha's persistence and not showering Jax with unnecessary assurances.

A hug is just what he needed at the moment, that and the 'soliloquy' ;) and the teasing about the 'rebreather'. [face_rofl]

I know it's too soon after Laranth and it's natural that he'd be reminded of Laranth's gentle empathy ... but he certainly should keep it in mind that Sacha would make a great 'second time around.' A last, blessed chance with love. [face_love]

:D

=D=

Kahara likes this.
  8. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001

*cackle* Well, Sacha’s no longer the one with the most embarrassing recent story. :p

The conversation with Sacha and Jax was perfect. She really understands how to talk to someone going through a rotten time. Whatever the ultimate outcome, I really like the friendship between these two. They’re a good influence on each other, I think. :)

[face_laugh]

9. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Thanks. Poor Jax is always being teased about something.

I would love to see Sacha and Jax together in the profic books, but now that the novels are all Legends I am doubtful that his storyline will continue. :(

Yeah, now Jax can get some of the ribbing instead of her. Sacha knows Jax is hurting and words won't take the pain away. Sometimes a hug helps more than anything.

Thanks everybody for reading. I really appreciate it!

Entry 33

I left Sacha and Magash to help Norro into his crash webbing in the preparation for our jump to lightspeed and went to assist in the cockpit. There I found Den inputting the jump coordinates. He looked up when I entered and gave me a sheepish smile. “Sorry Jax, but we all agreed we wouldn’t leave you. If you didn’t show up when you did we were planning on sending out a search party.”

I dropped down in the copilot seat trying to look perturbed, but I knew I would have done the same for them. “That’s alright. We’re like family and a family sticks together.” I looked over to the navigation screen. “Where are we jumping to?”

He glanced over at me. “Toprawa. Why?”

I shook my head. “There was a chance that I was identified and seen entering this ship. We need a second fake transponder.”

Den blew out a frustrated breath. “False transponders are not easy to come by. I don’t think you want to talk to Black Sun, they were a little irritated with us the last time we did business with them.”

I pursed my lips in thought. “Smugglers then?”

Den’s large black eyes went even larger. “Like the Hutts? We don’t want to go into Hutt space. If you were identified they will sell us out to the Empire in a nanosecond.”

“Is there any other planet where we can find maybe a smaller independent smuggling organization?”

Den scratched the side of his head in thought. “Some of the rimworlds have small smuggling bands.”

The term rimworld got me thinking. During the brief time I knew Anakin Skywalker he would whine about his days of slavery on Tatooine. He called it a rimworld planet filled with pirates, smugglers, raiders and other unsavory people. He said he hated the desert world with all its skin irritating sand and if he never went there again it would be too soon. It’s possible we would find what we needed on Tatooine and it was probably the last place Anakin—now Darth Vader—would show up. “How about Tatooine?”

Den nodded. “I was there once doing a story during my news reporter days. I may have a few contacts there still.”

I know Tatooine is on the opposite side of the Galaxy from Toprawa, but if the Empire tries to follow our trail it is best that we move in a direction away from our hidden base. As far as I know there are no resistance groups in that area of the galaxy. Whiplash works in the galactic core and the Antarian Rangers like to confine their activities along the Perlemian Trade route. If we were tracked by the Imperials it is unlikely we would lead them to another insurgent faction.

“Good. Let’s make our first jump to Tatooine.”

ENTRY 34

It took almost four days flying time to get from Coruscant to Tatooine. During the flight I worked with Sacha and Magash on Force techniques. That is one great thing about hyperspace, we can train without worrying about Vader sensing us. Norro was fascinated with our lightsabers. He wanted a chance to spar, but I refused. I don’t need him cutting his own head off. I did let him hold and activate the saber. That got him grinning ear-to-ear.

Later I pulled him aside and discussed my belief that he had some faint Force abilities allowing him to detect a person’s intentions. “This skill can be a big asset to the Rangers. You don’t have to be a Jedi to make a difference,” I assured him. “The Antarian Rangers have been assisting Jedi for over six hundred years.”

I think I have him excited about becoming a Ranger. We still have a lot to work to do with him before that can happen though. We need to teach him how to read and write basic. We also have to show him how to use rudimentary technology, such as the food synthesizer, a comlink, or the holonet projector. He is a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Everybody is helping him assimilate, but I noticed Norro has become somewhat attached to Sacha. I don’t know if it is because she’s female. He is comfortable around Magash, but he doesn’t follow her around the ship like he does Sacha. Maybe he feels more comfortable around humans. I noticed the prison camp was self-segregated with various species clustering together in groups. Sacha is great with him. She is patient and tolerates his endless questions with such grace. If she ever marries and has children, I know she’ll make great mother.

When we landed on Tatooine I asked if Sacha would watch over Norro, while Magash, Den and I go into town to find a black marketer that dealt with transponders. I told her to have the ship prepped for a quick take off. Den also advised I-Five that he should stay aboard the ship. According to Den, “The last time I was here I discovered the locals don’t allow droids inside their establishments.” I-Five was a little irritated and declared the local population a bunch of bigoted, anti-droid, techophobes.

The first thing I felt when we lowered the boarding ramp was the heat! It was like I opened a hot oven and crawled inside. Of course Den had to make some quip about it being a ‘dry heat’.

I turned to Den. “I forgot, what’s the name of this city?”

“Mos Eisley. It’s the largest settlement on the planet. If a fake transponder can be found anywhere on this planet, it would be here.”

We walked down the boarding ramp and into the expansive docking bay filled with freighters and shuttles. Astromechs and repair droids whisked around the parked ships while sentients of just about every species imaginable milled about. Magash and I wore nondescript jumpsuits with our blasters visibly secured around our waists. Den was wearing trousers with a light tunic and a ridiculously large blaster for such a diminutive sullustan.

“This docking bay is located on a street called Spacer Row,” Den said as he wiped away perspiration from his facial dewflaps. “We should ask around at some of the local cantinas.”

That’s what we did for the next hour. We went from one grimy cantina to the next but nobody would give me any information. I was a stranger and strangers meant trouble. We were about to enter a drinking establishment called Chalmum’s Cantina when Magash put a hand on my shoulder. “Jax, with your permission I would like to do the talking…alone.”

“Why?”

“They see you as a dangerous stranger that could be an undercover Imperial. I think they will respond to me better. First of all, I am a female. Outside of Dathomir, I was told men find women somewhat disarming and second I am not human and therefore less likely to be affiliated with the Empire’s human-centric establishment.”

She was probably right. “Good idea. Den and I will be nearby in case there’s trouble.”

She gave me a nod and moved into the cantina. We waited a moment before we entered the bar. As Magash walked ahead of us, I noticed the gaze of a number of men following her moments throughout the room. She made her way to the bar and ordered a drink. Den and I wandered up to the bar and took a position four seats away from Magash. It wasn’t long before some self-assured human male plopped himself down next to her. “Hello,” he said with a leer. “Is it hot in here, or is it just you?”

I don’t think Magash understood human humor. She gave him a quizzical look before answering. “It is hot everywhere on this planet.”

The blond haired man broke out in a wide grin “I like a woman with a sense of humor.” He put up two fingers signally the bartender he needed a drink. “The usual, Zak.” The employee behind the bar nodded and poured him a light ale and placed it in front on him. “Put it on my tab.” The fact that the bartender knew what this man drank and would run him a tab told me he was a local and not one of the transient pilots using the planet as a stopover.

He turned back to Magash. “My name is Uril. Can I buy you a drink?”

She lifted her half full glass. “I am still working on the one I have. But thank you Uril.”

At that time a live band started playing some irritating tune and drowned out their conversation. After talking for a while Uril took out a small datapad from his jacket and handed it to Magash. She punched something into the device before handing it back. She smiled widely as she slipped off the barstool and moved toward the door. She turned to Uril as she walked out of the cantina and gave him a smile and a wave. We waited a few minutes before we got up and exited the bar. We found Magash outside waiting for us.

“Did you find out anything?” I asked her.

She gave me a forced smile. “Yes, three things. My mastery of the Jedi mind trick is improving, there is a merchant down the street that will sell us a transponder and Uril has some strange fascination with cranial horns. You would not believe where he wanted me to put them.”

I brought up a hand stopping her from elaborating. “I’m fairly sure I don’t want to know.”

“What did you input into his datapad?” Den asked.

Magash grinned. “I gave him a false comlink code. He wished to contact me later for dinner.”

Den grinned. “I could eat.”

She gave him a sardonic expression. “You should go talk to him, then. Perhaps his fetishes include dewflaps.”

I had to laugh when Den gave a look of disgust.

We went down the street to where the merchant was located. Magash wanted to go in alone, but I sent in Den with her. The Empire rarely employs Sullustans so he shouldn’t raise suspicions.

I waited outside, keeping an eye out for imperials. So far I haven’t seen any stormtroopers on the streets, but that didn’t mean undercover agents weren’t lurking. As I gazed down the crowded road I saw a man in a brown hooded cloak slowly walking down the street, occasionally looking into a store window, before moving on. There was something about his clothing and his gait that caught my eye. I risked reaching out with the Force and the man responded instantly. His head jerked up so fast the hood fell back exposing a bearded human male in his thirties. I recognized him immediately. It was Anakin Skywalker’s former Master—Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I started moving forward bringing my hand up in greeting when Kenobi abruptly turned and ran. I was a bit startled by his reaction, but I assumed he didn’t recognize me. I interacted with Anakin occasionally but rarely with his master. It was possible that he thought I was an Inquisitor undercover. I also knew I couldn’t give up the chance of talking to another Jedi Knight. Every resistance cell fighting the Empire could use his help.

I bolted after him pushing my way through the mid-day crowd. The dust from the streets and passing vehicles made breathing difficult, but I have always been fast on my feet and found myself gaining on the older Jedi. The street opened up into a village square filled with vender kiosks peddling everything from clothing, jewelry to what looked like edible roots and mushrooms. I momentarily lost Kenobi, but finally caught sight of him as he ducked down an alley. I jutted around various carts and stands and down a deserted alley full of trash and vermin. I stopped for a moment looking for the Jedi, but he was nowhere to be seen. I ran down the alleyway, passing a number of trash receptacles, before I was Force shoved against the side of the building… hard. Before I could react Kenobi ran out from behind a trash bin, pinned me against the wall before clamping a hand over my mouth and a blaster to my jaw.

“Who are you?” Obi-Wan demanded. When I stopped struggling he lifted his hand from my mouth allowing me to talk.

“Jax Pavan. I don’t know if you remember me, Master Kenobi. I was knighted shortly before Flame Night.”

Kenobi let me go and stepped back to look me over. “I think I remember…you look different though.”

I rubbed my hand over my jaw. “I had my facial hair permanently removed and dyed my hair black.”

“What are you doing here?”

The demanding tone of Master Kenobi’s voice told me he was not as happy to see me, as I was to see him. “I needed to purchase a fake transponder. I think my last ship identification code may have been compromised after my run in with Sith Inquisitors on Coruscant.”

Kenobi’s eyes went wide. “If you thought you were followed, why did you come here?” After he said the words his eyes closed tightly as if he realized he said something he shouldn’t have.

I shrugged. “I didn’t want to go directly to the resistance cell I am working with.” I paused for a moment. “Why wouldn’t I come here? Are the Rebels on the planet? Are you part of the resistance?”

The Jedi Master looked up and down the vacant alley nervously. “Jax, get your transponder and get out of here.”

“If you are working with the resistance we should talk. Only when these resistance groups work together can we overthrow the Emperor.”

Kenobi appeared frustrated and anxious to get rid of me. “There are no members of the resistance on Tatooine. After the Emperor ordered the destruction of the Jedi I sent out a signal from the Jedi Temple telling all Jedi to scatter and hide. That’s what I’m doing and that’s what I suggest you do also.”

My face went slack in surprise. “Hide?” I laughed and shook my head in disbelief. “I can’t believe you of all people are hiding instead of fighting the Imperials.” I took a step toward the Jedi and poked a finger into his chest angrily. “Did you know it is your former padawan who is the Emperor’s second in command? Did you know Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader!”

I could see pain in Obi-Wan’s eyes as the blood drained from his face. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed deeply. “Yes I know.”

I put my hands on his shoulders and shook him until he looked me in the eyes. “Then you know you are the best person to face Vader. You know him. You trained him. You can beat him.”

Kenobi shook his head. “No, my place is here.”

My jaw tightened in disgust. “I have fought Vader more than once to a draw. With another Jedi by my side we can defeat him. I am part of the resistance. We fight against the Imperials everyday. We need your help.”

Kenobi shrugged my hands off his shoulder and reholstered his blaster. “I intend on staying here and I would ask that you do not reveal my presence on the planet.”

I gritted my teeth at his cowardly response. “Can you at least tell me if other Jedi survived? Is Master Yoda alive?”

He paused in thought before answering. “He was alive when I left Coruscant. He also went into hiding.”

I let out a sound of disgust. “So two of the top Jedi are running like scared Endorian rabbits, while I am fighting Darth Vader and his minions. I was knighted only weeks before the Jedi purge began. If I can fight and survive, so could any trained Jedi. Why won’t you help me?”

Kenobi raised the hood of his cloak over his head and gazed at me sadly. “Jax, I commend you on your fight. But my place is here. Please respect my decision.”

With that he quickly moved down the alley and back to the street. I could only stare at him in disbelief. I realized then that I was truly the last Jedi. A Jedi fights for justice and freedom. Somebody who wants to hide and play it safe doesn’t deserve to be called a Jedi Knight. I felt sick to my stomach as I turned and jogged back to the store where Den and Magash were trying to purchase a transponder. They were exiting the building just as I came to the front of the store.

“Where have you been?” Den asked.

I frowned as I shook my head. “I thought I saw somebody I knew, but it turns out it was nobody.” I looked to the package in Magash’s hand. “Did you get a transponder?”

She held the small box up in front of her. “Yes, the transponder is from a salvaged ship that was never recorded as inoperable. The store merchant assured me the transponder would come up as the same make and model as our ship and with a clean record. I did not sense any deception from him.”

“That’s good enough for me.”

I looked around the desert world one last time and realized why Anakin hated this place so much. It was a hot, grubby dustbowl of a planet full of smugglers and other less than desirable people. I don’t blame him for never wanting to return.

I came to a sudden realization. Obi-Wan Kenobi knew Anakin much better than I ever did. Therefore he knew Vader would avoid this planet like the plague. That’s why he decided to hide on Darth Vader’s homeworld! I just couldn’t believe such a brave Jedi would give up so easily.

That was not going to happen to me. I am Jax Pavan, Jedi Knight and I wont sit idly by as the Sith destroy this galaxy. I will fight them until my dying breath. I will not give up.

I turned to my friends and smiled. Den was a bookish Sullustan and Magash a Dathomir witch. Back on the Laranth was Sacha a former Pod Racer and Norro a thirteen-year-old boy that was recently thrust into an unfamiliar galaxy. None were trained Jedi, but all were determined to fight the good fight. And the love of my life, Laranth, died fighting Darth Vader…while Kenobi hid on this rimworld planet.

I looked down the road were Kenobi disappeared. Despite my loathing, I still hoped he would have a change of heart and return…but that was not to be.

“Let’s get back to the ship.”

The three of us turned and walked back to the Laranth.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great update with him meeting Obi-Wan and the discussion he had. If he only knew who Obi-Wan was protecting.

Kahara and Ewok_Slayer like this.
  11. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I don't want to put Obi-Wan in a bad light, but in Jax's eyes he is running away from the fight. Jax knows nothing about Anakin's children and what Kenobi is doing on the planet and why the Jedi Master wants Jax off planet as soon as possible. I would think it would be very confusing for him. Especially knowing Obi-Wan was a General and seasoned warrior. Jax has to be mystified by his behavior.

I often wondered if Yoda and Obi-Wan knew that Luke and Leia were the key to stopping Palpatine? If not, then Kenobi is just hiding out and babysitting Anakin's son. I would like to think they had some vision of the future that put them on that path.

Kahara likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update. I also think that Kenobi had to know about Luke and Leia or at least to hope they were the key and that nothing could compromise that secret until it was the right time, so for everyone's safety, Jax had to leave.

Kahara and Ewok_Slayer like this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Poor Obi-Wan–of course Jax wouldn't understand, and Obi-Wan can't tell him why he's "hiding" in case Jax gets captured.

Kahara, Ewok_Slayer and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    He has no way of knowing, but it has to be a bit disappointing to Jax. I am sure Obi-Wan was a well known General and Jedi that Jax probably looked up to.

Yeah, Jax is confused at this point. It probably feels like the whole galaxy has gone mad.

True. Luke is in danger enough since he was given to relatives and is going by his father's last name (I am not sure why he isn't a Lars. I assume Obi-Wan didn't tell the Lars that Anakin became Darth Vader...probably because they would say, "What the hell! Why bring him here?! That crazy Sith will have us burned alive if he catches us with his kid!").

I have been feeling under the weather lately and just cannot get my muse to cooperate. Therefore, I did a small entry. I hope to get them on an adventure soon.

~~~~

ENTRY 35

We arrived back to Toprawa today. I gave a report of what happened on Despayre and the rescue of Sheel to the Antarian Ranger leaders, Aren Folee and Degan Cor. They were thrilled that we were able to rescue Sheel, but wary about me bringing in a stranger to the base—albeit a thirteen-year-old stranger. I convinced them that I didn’t sense any deception or danger from Norro, in fact he might grow up to be a fine Antarian Ranger (if that’s what he desires). I am sure he has some Force abilities that he uses to sense the intentions, either good or evil, of others.

After I left Degan Cor’s office I went over to the infirmary. Sacha said she was bringing Norro there right away. We are concerned about his health. Since he has been with us he has eaten, but hasn’t gained any weight.

I found Sacha sitting inside the infirmary waiting room reading a holozine. She looked up and smiled while motioning me to the empty chair next to her. “Norro is being examined by the doctor. He said he will call me in when they are done.”

I settled into the chair next to Sacha and gave her a sidelong look. “You are falling into the roll of mother fairly easily.”

She chuckled. “I’ve been on a paramilitary base consisting of seventy-five percent men, of which, at least half are under the age of twenty-five. Dealing with young men sort of goes with the territory.” She put down the holozine and gave me a sad smile. “I don’t mind mothering the boy. He lost his birth mother, he doesn’t know who his father is, when he was ten he was forced out of Sister Central and was separated from everybody he's ever known,. He survived in the men’s compound by eating rats…he’s been through more stress than most combat veterans.” She ran a hand through her dark hair and blew out a frustrated breath. “I hope he’s alright. He looks so sick.”

I could hear the worry in her voice. I reached out and clasped her hand in mine and gave it a gentle squeeze. “Don’t worry. The kid’s tough.”

She nodded her head. “I know.” She looked up to a door leading to the examination rooms. “He’s been with the doctor for almost an hour.”

I gave her hand another reassuring gentle squeeze. “I’ll be alright.” I released my grip when I realized I had held her hand far longer than most friends would find comfortable. “Sacha, one of my Force abilities is to see auras around people…it looks like ribbons of color surrounding them. I don’t see auras all the time, but when I do, it is very telling. With evil people I see black ribbons encircling them like withering snakes. Good people are intertwined with light glowing colors. It not only indicates a person’s character, but I can also sometimes see connections between people…it’s like the Force ribbons reach out for each other.” I paused to collect my thoughts and to take a breath. “Norro is a good kid. Despite his horrible childhood his aura shines and when he is around us, you, me and the rest of our group, I can see his aura reach out and try to become intertwined with ours. He is looking for a family. I know that.” I gave her a broad smile. “Maybe he can find a family here.”

Sacha’s draw dropped at my statement. “You think so?”

I grinned. “Sure, I am sure there are a lot of childless couples on the base that would love to adopt him. I know he said he wouldn’t be able to fit in with a normal family, but Antarian Rangers are not a typical family. I think anybody that can function in a paramilitary group could provide a good home to him.”

“Oh,” Sacha sounded disappointed. She picked up her holozine and started reading again. “I guess you are right. He should have a mother and a father, living together in a relationship.”

I nodded and was about to ask her why the long face when a nurse came into the waiting room. “Sacha, the doctor wants to talk to you about Norro.”

She stood and motioned me to follow. “Jax is the man who saved him from the prison planet.”

The nurse nodded. “Of course you are both welcome to see the doctor.”

We followed the nurse to an examination room down the hall. When we entered Norro was dressed and sitting on the exam table looking a little nervous. He smiled and gave us a wave as Sacha and I entered the room. A middle aged human male wearing a white lab coat was standing next to Norro as he punched information into a datapad. He looked up and smiled as he extended his hand in greeting. “I’m Doctor Raken.”

I shook his hand and asked him about Norro’s condition. I didn’t like the way the doctor pursed his lips in thought before he answered. “I ran some tests and discovered Norro is infected with a Chirgotta intestinal parasite. It has been stealing nutrients from him for years probably. I am going to put him on an anthelmintic drug that starves the worm by preventing the parasite from absorbing glucose. After two weeks on this treatment I want him on a high fiber diet to help him expel this parasite. Chirgottas are worms that can grow to a meter in length. Fortunately, when they die they have a tendency to break apart making them easier to pass.”

I looked up to Norro who was blushing bright red right about now. I can understand his embarrassment; nobody wants other people knowing they may have to evacuate a meter long parasite from their bowels.

I nodded my head. “That’s good news. Is he healthy other than that?”

The doctor sighed. “He is malnourished. I know your first thought is to feed him high calorie foods, but there is a chance he will experience something called refeeding syndrome. A patient that is severely malnourished who is starts eating normally might experience electrolyte disorders that could cause cardiac arrhythmias. He said he's eaten without complications, so there might not be a danger. But just to be safe for the next couple days I would restrict his caloric intake to milk, either Nerf or Goff-milk. If he doesn’t experience any confusion, pain or nausea you can increase his food intake. Don’t hesitate to contact me if he experiences any problems.” He looked back at Norro before he put a hand on my shoulder and guided me to the door. “Can I talk to you and Miss Swiftbird alone for a minute?” He turned back to Norro. “I’ll be right back. Just relax.”

We walked out to the hallway with Dr. Raken closing the door behind him. “Are you two going to be the boy’s guardians?”

I shook my head just as Sacha said, “Yes.”

I looked over to her surprised. “Ummm…yes," I said slowly. "Until a permanent family can be found.”

The doctor nodded. “Good. He talks about his rescuers in high regard.” He hesitated for a moment. “I would like you to bring him to Dr. Verden. He is a psychologist. From what Norro has told me he has been through multiple physiological traumas in his short life. It is not odd for somebody with that type of background to suffer from traumatic stress disorders which may manifest as depression, anxiety, or self-destructive behavior. I think individual counseling will help him and also family counseling so you can understand and recognize any emotional problems that might arise.” He looked at both of us. “Do you have any questions?”

We both shook our heads. The doctor opened the door and called out Norro and then turned back to us. “The nurse will give you the prescription and instructions. Schedule a follow up appointment in three weeks.”

Norro came out of the exam room and gave me a uneasy grin. I put an arm around his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “The doctor said you are going to be okay.”

And that’s how I became a foster parent to a thirteen-year-old boy. I never thought I would be a father, but I never thought the entire Jedi order would be decimated and the galaxy run by a Sith. Life is full of surprises.

In this case, it's a good surprise.

Chyntuck and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A great update. Jax and Sacha and Norro are now a family. I love this.[face_dancing]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The medical consequences sound plausible and the precautions seem prudent :) on the fostering :D Jax and Sacha are becoming intertwined in several ways as guardians of Norro and perhaps something else. [face_love]

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, poor Norro! Hope it's not too painful for him.

18. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Yeah...I really want a happy ending for Jax. I don't even think he is canon anymore. Bummer.

I would like to hook those two up eventually.

LOL! I don't think he is going to be very happy for the next few days.

This next post is very short. I have been busy with school and extracurricular activities. I don't have much time to write lately. I just wanted to get the second post in before the end of the month.

- - - - - - -

Entry 36

Norro is recovering well. He spends a lot of time in the ‘fresher because of the medicine and high fiber diet. The doctors are also treating him for ear mites and some type of foot fungus. He went to the dentist for the first time. That was awful. As you can imagine, his teeth are a mess. When the dentist took out the drill Norro was shaking so badly the dentist couldn’t safely work on him. He ended up having to sedate the boy. That is probably for the best. I know I can’t stand the sound of a dentist drill. It is better that he doesn’t have to be awake during the process. Norro had five cavities filled and one tooth pulled and replaced with a dental implant. Sacha and I are taking turns teaching him common things like how to brush and floss. We retained a tutor to help him learn how to read and write and also other core subjects. Eventually I will get him into a technical training course to learn a skill. He might be a good mechanic, pilot or slicer.

He has a lot to learn.

Entry 37

We got bad news today. The Empire has attacked Dantooine and is believed to have slaughter the rebel group hiding on the planet…although that has not been confirmed as yet. Degan Cor was a little surprised that the Empire sent an attack force because the rebel group was only a reconnoiter cell consisting of a dozen fighters. They went to Dantooine to recruit and train. He thought it was overkill. It is possible that the Empire was trying to make an example of them and to let others know anybody opposing the Empire will die…but Dantooine is a remote outer rim planet and it is unlikely that the story of their slaughter would make a big impact. We discovered the attack by accident. We had sent out a representative of the Antarian Rangers to meet with the small rebel group. When our man came out of hyperspace he discovered the Imperial invasion Force orbiting the planet. Before the Imperials could react he turned and ran. He did multiple hyperspace jumps to evade anybody following him and finally got the news back to Toprawa.

Degan Cor and Aren Folee wondered if the Imperials had another reason to attack the bucolic planet and asked me if I had any thoughts on the matter. All I knew about Dantooine was it was once the location of a Jedi Enclave, but it was destroyed almost four thousand years ago.

“Could the Empire be trying to recover Jedi information from the ruins?” Cor asked me.

I shook my head. “I saw what they did to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. They destroyed everything. The Temple was burned almost immediately after Imperial troops entered the facility. I doubt they had any time to recover records. It is more likely that Palpatine or Vader are making sure all traces of the Jedi are eradicated. They might have been looking for something to destroy, not save.”

Aren nodded her head in thought. “If they came to destroy all traces of the Jedi Enclave, perhaps the rebels are alive. If they survived we need to get them off planet.”

Both Aren and Degan looked at me expectantly making me heave a sigh. I guess getting called on to do exceedingly dangerous missions is my fate as a Jedi. I have to admit that I would like to see if anything remains of the old Jedi enclave.

I want to go alone on this mission, but I know the only way to do that is to sneak off Toprawa without telling my friends. The last time I did that they followed me.

I guess the next stop is Dantooine.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Norro's ordeal sounds grueling but necessary. The Dantooine mission will satisfy curiosity and perhaps become a rescue operation. [face_thinking] Yup, I think Jax is right. He'd have to sneak off to be able to go alone. :)

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    To Dantooine! :p

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Don't run into trouble Jax. He has Norro, Sacha and his friends . Great post with Norro and his trouble

22. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Thanks! While writing about Norro and his problems I thought back on a stray cat I adopted. He was really sick and had a lot of visits to the vet before he got better. The Vet wanted me to brush the cat's teeth and gave me a little toothbrush that you slip over your finger. This way it's like rubbing your finger over his teeth, but you have little bristles protruding from the rubber finger tip. Have you ever tried to brush a cat's teeth? I have...once. I am surprised I still have that finger. o_O

Off to Dantooine. I am looking up some history of that area and try to work it in. I don't know why I bother anymore since none of it is canon anymore. :(

Thanks. This is more of a buddy story than an action story...but I like it that way. It is hard to write out a long thought out plot in a diary format.

I want to thank you guys for reading and taking the time to review. That is the only thing that has kept this diary alive. The last few months have been hectic and I am so tempted to let the diary die so I can concentrate on my real life. But then I remember my real life really sucks and these fanfics are my only true source of escapism. Thanks again!!! [:D]

. . . . . . . . .

Entry 38

Dantooine and Toprawa are both outer rim planets located not too far from each other. The trip would take about forty standard hours to complete. Norro wanted to come along but I refused to bring him on a dangerous mission. He argued that Despayre was probably more treacherous than Dantooine and I have to agree, but I’m not going to risk his life because he wants to go on an adventure. I introduced him to Geri, the Rodian teenager mech-tech. It cheered Norro to see another person around his age. Geri was also an orphan, so they had something in common…albeit it’s an awful experience to share. I grew up without my parents, but at least I had the Jedi Order as my family.

Den, I-Five, Sacha, Magash and I departed Toprawa onboard the Laranth. The flight so far has been uneventful, which is exactly how I like my flights, nice and boring. I am getting a little tired of having to elude Star Destroyers, avoid Darth Vader or his Sith wannabe Inquisitors. Boring is a nice departure from the usual mayhem. Den and I spent most of the time on the flight deck while the women and I-Five lounged in the dining area going over maps of Dantooine.

As the time of our sleep cycle approached I gave the ladies my cabin and I went to bunk down with Den and I-Five in the ship’s other crew compartment. When I entered the room I was surprised to see that I-Five had Den switch his computer brain from the Police Droid chassis he was in earlier to his Human Replicate Droid body.

I gave him a curious look. “Why the switch?”

I-Five’s very human face gave a slight smirk as he attempted to shrug his shoulders…a movement that came off rather stiff and unnatural. “I have discovered that if I am in my droid chassis and I am not actively communicating with Magash or Sacha…they will sometimes forget I am sentient and not the intellectual equivalent of a food synthesizer. In other words, they will talk to each other as if I wasn’t there.”

I let out a sigh knowing this was a sore subject for I-Five. He wants to be treated as an equal. “I have to admit, I-Five,” I said somewhat sheepishly. “When you are in an Artoo chassis I have a tendency to forget. It is much easier having a conversation with you in your human-replicant body. It’ll take time for people to get used to interacting with a sentient droid. I’m sure they didn’t mean any disrespect.”

“I don’t believe they had any malice in their actions.” A wide grin crossed I-Five’s face. “And there are some benefits of being treated as a mere droid.”

“Like what?”

“I have the opportunity to listen to uninhibited female discussions.” He made a fairly good approximation of a laugh. “Their conversations are very enlightening.”

I drew in a deep breath. “I-Five, you shouldn’t be listening to private discussions.”

His brows rose. “I was one-point-two meters from their location and clearly visible.”

I let out a deep breath. “Well…you shouldn’t be repeating what you heard.”

“If you insist.” His brows rose questioningly. “Do you happen to know who Sacha is dating on Toprawa?”

That question caught me off guard. This was the first I have heard anything about Sacha dating. “No. I haven’t seen her with anybody. Why?”

I-Five crossed his arms across his chest and casually leaned against the bulkhead. “Because Magash was giving Sacha dating advice.” He chuckled. “It was extremely interesting.”

I sat down on the bunk next to Den who was grinning so furiously that I knew he has already heard the story from I-Five.

“We really shouldn’t be repeating gossip.”

Den held up both hands in a classic gesture of innocence. “Is it really gossip if he heard it from Magash and Sacha? Gossip typically involves details that are not confirmed as being true. As a reporter I would consider I-Five a reliable source. After all, his computer brain accurately records information and I am certain his description of the conversation will be entirely accurate, containing no conjecture or hyperbole.”

I looked between the two, uncertain as to what to say. I don't like talking about crew members behind their backs, but I have to admit for some strange reason I was extremely curious. “Alright, I’ll bite. What did they say?”

I-Five smiled. “I overheard Magash telling Sacha that if her intended mate is going too slow in a relationship she has to be assertive and confront the male, claiming him as her own. At that point Sacha pointed out that that might work on Dathomir, but not on Toprawa.”

I coughed in my hand trying to disguise a laugh. “I feel sorry for any guy Magash becomes interested in.”

I-Five continued with a convincing toothy grin. “You don’t know how right you are. She told Sacha that on Dathomir a woman would select a male of suitable breeding stock. She then makes her intentions known and places a symbolic rope around the chosen man’s neck. If the male does not make a formal objection to the union, she will march him to her hut where they will…indulge in a variety of carnal activities.”

Den burst out in laughter. “I can just see Sacha trying that approach with her new beau.” He turned to me grinning. “I can go out and buy her a rope and you can lend her your bondage mask and she’ll be set.”

My face burned with embarrassment. “It’s not a bondage mask. It’s a rebreather.”

He gave me an obviously false look of confusion. “Really? I thought I-Five said it was a faux Ruusan Reformation era latex bondage mask.”

“With a hook in the back for a leash,” I-Five added.

I threw my hands up in frustration. “I had an Inquisitor following me and needed a disguise. Am I going to hear about this for the rest of my life?” I stood and glared at the two.

Den looked at I-Five before turning back to me. “Probably…at least until we find something better to tease you with.”

“I am fairly certain that is what friends do.” I-Five walked over and gave me a friendly slap on the shoulder. “And since I see you as a brother, I believe that entitles me to harass you to a greater extent.”

I pointed a finger at him. “That goes both ways, I-Five.” I walked over and grabbed my ‘fresher kit off the cabin dresser. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to take a shower.”

As I walked out the door I heard Den shout out. “Make sure you hang on to that towel really tight this time.”

I gritted my teeth knowing that’s another embarrassing story I’ll probably never hear the end of.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Little does Jax know...although Magash probably doesn't either, if she was giving Sacha advice. [face_laugh]

Ewok_Slayer likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL! Nice and boring and uneventful is a refreshing change for Jax and company I'm sure. And he keeps giving his pals unintended fodder for teasing [face_mischief] :oops:

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the teasing of I-five. Romance?