main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    The ever-expanding research. It must be rationed or the writing will never be done. [face_sigh]But when you do not do the research, later you will find out that what you did was all wrong. Possibly no one will notice. Doesn't matter. You'll always know.

*whimper*

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That's what revisions are for. Trust me, it might not be as difficult as it first seems to fix a story to account for new information.

3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh, there will always be revisions... lots and lots and lots...

:D

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    When you get inspired to add onto another fanfics writer's work with a sequel with permission of course ;)

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    ...when you are doing research for a fanfic online and you start thinking, "Damn, I hope the NSA doesn't show up on my doorstep asking me why I Googled 'How to break into a safe, biological/Chemical bombs, and how to hide evidence from CSI investigators'."

6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    There does seem to be a huge overlap between "things necessary for fiction research" and "things that make you sound like an aspiring supervillain."

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    *LOLspew* [face_laugh]

UGH, YES. Especially frunnoying (that's frustrating and annoying together) when you realize that a big chunk of that research turns out to be unnecessary because you're going to cut or revise that part. *headdesk* I started a bookmark folder on my browser for future-tech and medical research articles along with Wookieepedia pages, links to thread posts here, insights from Tumblr and SW essays on other sites, other fanfics, etc., and it's now turned into the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. [face_plain]

Kahara likes this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see, what's currently on my shelf? Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries, Forensics: A Guide for Writers, and On Writing Horror. I've read all three in public and their subtitles are tiny, so it can be a bit unnerving when the quiet nerd with the Arkham Asylum Inmate t-shirt is sitting in some lonely corner reading books with titles like BODY TRAUMA and FORENSICS.

Writing notes while reading those certainly doesn't help my case. :p

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have a Forensic book that I nicknamed, "The Big Book of Dead People".

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just need to add Grey's Anatomy to my library and I'd be set.

Kahara likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    ...you buy a coke because it had the name of your favorite OC on it.

[​IMG]

12. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Or your favorite SW actor.

<_< >_>

*scurries away*

:D

13. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    ...when you constantly fret over how you'll find time to write and prepare for classes, write lecture notes, grade papers, etc. Being a first time teacher and fic writer is harrrrrd!

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    True, but I rarely think of Luke as Mark Hamill. To me Luke Skywalker is the gorgeous guy that is too hot to be a widower...and in my mind he doesn't exactly look like Mark Hamill anymore. Luke Skywalker aged better. ;)

I have had people commenting on my OC mentioning Mark and Luke in the Bible and if I meant it that way...which is not the reason. Or they thought I named him after Mark Hamill, which is also not true.

In the story Mara thad mentioned he was her biggest mark...meaning assassination target. Being a clone he had no name and therefore decided he wanted to be Mara's Mark. I know that is corny. :p

Kahara likes this.
  15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I'd forgotten about that. Maybe corny, but it's a cute corny. :p

16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Oh, I know, I know, I was just joshing. That was actually directed at ME instead of you, lol, but I phrased it in second-person narrative in keeping with the title of this thread. Yeah, it kinda messes up the humor...

The funny thing is, I don't actually consider Luke to be gorgeous at any age for his character - cute when young, sure. Decent and distinguished when older. But not [Zoolander] really really ridiculously good-looking [/Zoolander]. :p And I dig that. I like the idea of a hero who isn't traditionally handsome, but a bit more average-looking - it's his personality and character arc that make him awesome for me.

An actor is never exactly the same as any of their characters, otherwise it wouldn't be called acting, but now that SW has been around for all these years, and we know about the other casting possibilities that Lucas tossed around back then, I can't even imagine anyone else having played the character of Luke Skywalker and made him so endearing and enduring. Somehow Mark was perfect for it. Yep, he's gotten old just like everybody else does eventually (and, um, gah, the Scruff is strong with this one now, LOL). But I'm really glad that he was the one picked for the role, and I love what he did to define Luke. In that way, the two are separate for me as well, yet...not.

But I digress. Excuse me, my fangirl is showing. [face_blush]

Jedi_Lover and Kahara like this.
  17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you seriously consider mentioning "writing SW fan fiction" as one of your spare time activities in the work bio you're drafting. :eek:

Also when, given the unhappy state of the houseplant you've named after one of your OCs, you wish could use that OC's healing abilities to make it all better again. :(

TrakNar and Kahara like this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...when you decide to draft up the most bare-bones of a character for the sake of joining a roleplay, but now you're considering writing up vignettes for that character to better flesh it out.

I recently joined a Tumblr RP, as one of the blogs I'm following is an RP blog (all my RP posts go on my junk blog), so I quickly threw together a character based on a single sketch. Now I've since completed my Speedy Hypno Breeding Program and named the offspring after the character. Since the character is so underdeveloped with only the most basic of a personality, I'm considering writing a few vignettes to flesh it out.

Admiral Volshe and Kahara like this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    ...you try to find some Earth-based gaming reference to describe a given situation and, having failed to do so after a cursory search of Wikipedia, spend several minutes thinking up a semi-original game to serve as a crude metaphor. In this case, combining five-card draw poker with sabacc to form a card game I like to call shavit.

gracesonnet likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    ...you see a weird guy with a tail and spikes at Castlefest in Lisse (the Netherlands) and are thinking about what kind of species he can be

pronker and TrakNar like this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, reminds me of the people I see at the Faerie Festival.

YKYAFFWW...

...you start talking about fanfics with your niece in an attempt to get her into writing fanfics so you two can write fanfics together and bounce ideas off one another.

gracesonnet and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    YKYAFFWW...

...typos are just another opportunity to help craft character names.

Lady_Misty, pronker and Goodwood like this.
  23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    ^^^This^^^

24. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Sometimes having a job in data entry is really worthwhile. ;)

No kidding, I've filled a bunch of sticky notes with names by now.

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I had a job in data entry once. They decided they didn't like me.