main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Imperial HoloNet News

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Cevan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    A link to this was posted in the Rebels discussion thread last night, however I'm not sure how many people actually saw it since we received new info, two new clips, and a new trailer, so it probably got overlooked by most people.

Anyways, an official HoloNet News site was put up last night by Disney/LucasFilm. So far, it has three videos of Imperial news reports, some Aurebesh, and the logo.

HoloNet News

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Imperial 212th Attack Battalion? Interesting...

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like Steve Blum's voice. Now that'd be awesome if they kept him around to keep doing more and more of these. :D

4. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I don't know, maybe if Steve Blum is hanging around in the studio for some reason they can get him to record some, but I don't know if he'll be in there very often.

;)

More seriously, we know from the newest trailer that Steve does that reporter voice in-show, so I'm sure we'll get more. These things are less that a minute long, Steve can do them between recording sessions or something.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Hopefully we'll get videos of Palpatine making speeches. Empires have Emperors.

6. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I wonder if he'd still be Tim Curry. (And despite the joke I made in the caption thread, I don't think his Emperor/Sidious voice is bad. It's the Chancellor Palpatine voice that sounds weird.)

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Isn't that Commander Cody's Battalion?

On another note, I really like these little news feeds. It makes me wonder who they'll have show up in them, or who they will mention. I hope that Vader has an appearance in one.

8. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Yep. That's why it's interesting. I hope we get the one that the rebels were watching in the trailer about a certain unexpected character.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Cool IU bonus videos, I hope they keep this up throughout the series unlike some of the web extras they started in early TCW and just stopped.

Cevan likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also want to know about public perception of Vader. Where do they think he came from and do they have any clue what "Darth" means?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    In another thread, I described in-universe conceits such as these as "delicious," and I stand by that. :)

I can't help it. I just love it.

I loved the HoloNet News (CoCo Edition) website leading up to Episode II.

The Star Wars Insider: Core Editions of the news?

The HoloNet News - A Galaxy Divided podcasts? Those videos? Classic!

All terrific, every one. If you're not familiar with any of these, I beseech you to check them out when you have the chance.

Yeah, I just adore the whole thing. I'm awfully glad to see it's return, and I hope this time they update the site indefinitely.

I don't know if anyone else is with me on this, but I say let us enjoy a continual, in-universe source of news, not only set during the Imperial Period of Rebels, but later, during the time of Episode VII and the ST, and also during any other timelines the franchise begins to address as it branches out into other uncharted places with the upcoming standalone films, novels, video games... what have you.

One of the effects of the recent EU announcement is that, for me, suddenly the galaxy feels a much smaller place than it was before. Quick little stories like these, which highlight different beings, aspects and events that would otherwise fall between the cracks (but which are 'newsworthy,' nonetheless), really help to grow the GFFA and sell the 'reality' of the experience.

Come on, let's really take advantage of this one, Lucasfilm!

"...with the only news you need...

the HoloNet News."

I ask, how can a fan not love that?!? :D

12. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    As others have already said, I really hope this goes on throughout the show. It'll be especially interesting if the rebels go on the offensive a bit more, and seeing how the HoloNet News alters the details and makes the Empire look like the "good guys."

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd love to see some kind of pirated Rebel holofeed eventually show up.

I'd love it even more if it's not entirely accurate, any more than the Imperial one is. The Empire are the bad guys, but it'd be fun seeing propaganda from both sides.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    One of the things I very much look forward to in Rebels is seeing how the series opts to address the matter of the Emperor's public persona.

Assuming we don't get the shut-in Emperor who mostly withdraws from matters of state to focus his attention more fully on the dark side (and I think it's possible that we may), but instead, a leader with a much more public face, then I have to say, I LOVE this idea. This would be a fantastic way to make use of the HoloNet.

Fantastic.

Also, it occurs to me that, depending on how the public views Vader (because, again, we just don't know yet how he will be seen by the citizenry), then perhaps he can be seen addressing the public on the Holonet, as well?

15. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Hmm...doesn't really seem like Vader's style to me.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That's a great idea, too!

Maybe a rebel 'Net of their own could be funded by wealthy former Separatists who still carry the flag?

17. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Hondo paid for it. He gets ad revenue. :p

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I hear you! :D

I do know what you mean, but I'm rather on the fence about that. And I'll tell you why.

Recall back when Bin Laden was targeted, we saw this:

[​IMG]

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, the mastermind of some of the most devastating attacks on the Galactic Empire and the most hunted man in the galaxy, was killed in a firefight with Imperial forces near Alderaan, Darth Vader announced on Sunday."

And in spite of the obvious satire, it actually got me to thinking that, hey, who knows, the Empire just may have made announcements like these from the grounds of the Imperial Palace during its reign and, although I generally see Vader as the muscle standing astride the Emperor during the Imperial Period (or even a secret entity altogether), who knows?

If Vader takes on prominent roles like Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces by the time of Episode V (which I could maybe see requiring a public face), maybe he does have a visible role to play even before that, too?

After all, though it may not be to Vader's liking, if it's pleasing to the Emperor, and suits his needs, I imagine Vader would be up there at that podium. I think it all comes down to how the Emperor decides to use his resources to his best advantage and how much he wants the public to know.

Cevan and darklordoftech like this.
  19. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Nah, I think the Empire can afford a Press Secretary. They can get Jay Carney to do the voice work. He's looking for a job now anyways.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Makes you wonder what public perception of the Separatists is at this point.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  21. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Tools of the evil Jedi plot to take over the galaxy.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yep. And I think that if the new series had picked up, say, five years after ROTS, rather than five years before ANH, I feel we'd almost have been assured of seeing that explored. As is stands now, I don't know whether Rebels will pursue this angle, or not.

But I will say that, whether they be ex-officers of the CIS military, former leading members of the Separatist Parliament, or just a common man or woman who was a true believer back in the day, I'd love to see some old Seppie's show up in the series. I think that would be just great (and, as with Luminara Unduli, another neat form of connective tissue between the PT/TCW era, and the new show).

I remember in another thread someone mentioning the likes of Mar Tuuk or Trench joining up with a rebel cell and maybe even sacrificing themselves for the cause.

Something like that could certainly put a different spin on characters like these. I'd welcome it.

Cevan, Kablob and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, so maybe I'm the only one who can see Vader making not so thinly-veiled public threats to the citizenry. :D

I suppose just his presence alone would be enough to get the point across to most folks.

But really, what about Palpatine? Do you expect him to keep up a lifestyle replete with public political addresses, and the like?

Or do you see his reign as Emperor as more closed-off and secretive, with his minions the ones assigned to maintaining the everyday duties of office?

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The first one. The second one goes against what's shown in the PT and stated in the OT.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  25. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah, I'd love if we got a CIS character from TCW to join the rebellion and be one of it's founding members. Loathsom could be a pretty good candidate for this.

It'd certainly be interesting seeing a Separatist fighting alongside someone like Kanan, considering the Seps fought against the Jedi during the Clone Wars. It'd show how times have changed and they needed to band together to restore order to the galaxy. Besides, the main reason the Seps left the Republic was because they thought it was becoming corrupt, which it obviously did. Both the Seps and Jedi were hunted down by the Empire, victims of Sidious' deception. Seeing them team up to take on the Empire would be great. Plus, if the Empire goes with the story that the Jedi and Seps were working together to take over the galaxy like it was said in the EU, it'd make for some interesting HoloNet reports, as it'd just make it look like the Empire was right along.