main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What is your pre-Episode VII reading to-do list?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dak Oolron, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Hello all,

I hope this isn't a redundant thread. I tried searching for it, and the best I could find was "What is your Star Wars novel reading to do list for 2011?" (That thread was locked, anyway.)

I guess this is pretty self-explanatory. Here's mine, in order:

The Phantom Menace (done)
    Attack of the Clones
    Shatterpoint
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Revenge of the Sith
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    Star Wars/A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    Return of the Jedi
    Episode VII novelization (will start after I've seen the movie, see "The Novelization of Episode VII" thread in 7SA)

Oh, and a quick shoutout to Trebor Sabreon for sending me to the Literature forum ;)

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Mine is Cloak of Deception (done)
    Darth Maul Shadow Hunter (done)
    Phantom Menace Novelization (done)
    Pre Clone Wars issues of Republic (done)
    Jango Fett Open Seasons (done)
    Rogue Planet (done)
    Outbound Flight (done)
    Approaching Storm (done)
    Attack of the Clones Novelization (done)
    Republic Commando Hard Contact (done)
    Shatterpoint (done)
    Cestus Deception (done)
    Repulic Commando Triple Zero (done)
    Clone Wars Omnibus Volume 1 (done)
    Clone Wars Omnibus Volume 2 (done)
    Republic Commando True Colors (done)
    Medstar Battle Surgeons (done)
    Medstar Jedi Healer (in progress)
    Yoda Dark Rendezvous
    Clone Wars Omnibus Volume 3
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Revenge of the Sith Novelization
    Order 66 A Republic Commando Novel
    Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader
    Dark Times
    Empire and Rebellion comic series
    Razor's Edge
    X-Wing comics (at least the second omnibus; I'm unsure about rereading the first and third despite them being really good)
    X-Wing Series books 1-7
    Thrawn Trilogy
    X-Wing Isard's Revenge
    Dark Empire
    I, Jedi
    The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology
    The NJO

Originally this list included Jedi Trial, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and Darksaber, but decided I didn't have enough free time to spend it rereading books I dislike. It also included Shadows of the Empire, but despite enjoying, I didn't feel like giving it a second read through. Lastly, I removed the Han Solo Trilogy in order to save some time, even though it's one of my favorite set of Star Wars books (this one could be added back in).

The Clone Wars Omnibuses weren't read as they are shown on this list. I looked up the dates for each issue and put them between the books in chronological order.

Somewhere on this list I'll be reading A New Dawn, the other new novels and the comics, but I don't know where I'll be in my other list. For this reason I left them out and will read them whenever I get them.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Good thread idea. Although, I don't know how much I'll read, simply because I'll just be disappointed when it's all steam-rolled over anyway by the movie. I'll definitely do like a six-movie marathon over a couple days before it comes out though.

In terms of books to read in general before then, I've still got Kenobi. And any of the NEU books that are out in paperback before then. But any others, especially post-Jedi ones? Nah.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm glad to see you decided to give Lit a shot, Dak. :) I don't spend as much time here as I'd like, but the folks are nice and, of course, quite knowledgeable.

Anyway, in addition to the reading list, over in the 7SA thread Mr. Oolron references, he had shared that he was beginning to work his way through the film novelizations for the first time, and asked the members if they had any other SW book recommendations:

"By the way, as I read through the novelizations, are there any other Star Wars must-reads I should include as I progress chronologically? (Mainly looking for books that fall between Episodes I and VI.)"

As I can see from his 'to do' list, he's added some good choices, but I recommended that he try asking everyone here in Lit.

Because, well, when you've questions about the SW written word, this is the place to ask.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Just a head's up that Shatterpoint is not canon with Episode VII. Supposedly one of the upcoming novels makes that clear.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If you're talking about "Depa died saving her Padawan, Kanan" - referenced in the TV forum - that doesn't preclude some of the events of Shatterpoint happening. Especially since the ROTS novelization references them.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    That's quite a list, JediKnight75! Virtually all of my reading so far (besides Outbound Flight and Mercy Kill) has been between RotJ and Vision of the Future, chronologically. I figured it was time for me to fill in the middle of the saga, as Trebor Sabreon alluded to.

Rogue Five: That reminds me of my birthday a few years ago when I spent the whole day watching the six movies straight through. Afterwards, I was glad I did it once, but I don't want to do it again, haha. Now that a new trilogy is on its way, it will be much more difficult to watch the entire saga in one day than it was before.

Thanks for clarifying. I could care less about the TV shows, anyway, despite their status as canon.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Reading Into the Void currently, tho nearly finished.

Beyond that, I have quite a few of the newer books on my desk still to read (Scoundrels, Kenobi, the last Lost Tribe parts, that TOR novel about Satele's kid, Scourge, all the EAR novels, and... maybe one or two others, I forget).

My free time for reading has (self-evidently) been severely limited the last couple of years, and won't be improving for a while, so whether I get through my backlog in time, I dunno.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Well I'm currently doing a big 'ol fashioned read-through of most of the EU (through the NJO, although it's not entirely inclusive) I will likely read all of the novelizations and related novels fairly close to Episode VII's release. So that, to me, looks like this:
    -Maybe start it off with some Jedi Apprentice...we shall see.
    -Cloak of Deception
    -Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    -Episode 1
    -Probably Rogue Planet
    -Maybe some Jedi Quest
    -The Approaching Storm
    -Episode 2
    (Not exactly sure what I want to include for Clone Wars stuff. There's so much material. At the very least, I'll do Shatterpoint, Cestus Deception, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous).
    -Labyrinth of Evil
    -Episode 3
    -Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader
    -Kenobi
    -Lando Calrissian Adventures, Han Solo Adventures, Han Solo Trilogy
    At this point, I might do some of the LEU novels if reviews are good, and if they don't contradict everything I've read so far. That'd include Tarkin and the Vader/Palps buddy cop novel. Otherwise, I'll probably read Death Star as a lead in.
    -Episode 4
    -Splinter of the Mind's Eye; not the best, I know, but it's the original sequel to Ep. 4, and the interim between Episodes 4 and 5 is so bloated that I'd rather keep it simple anyways.
    -Maybe Scoundrels
    -Episode 5
    -Shadows of the Empire
    -Episode 6

Phew! I also have a watch list, to be started about the week before Ep. 7 comes out. It's...thorough. I'll probably do this once, and then again with just the Saga films and micro series, if I'm being honest with myself.

The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Clone Wars (2003) Micro-Series
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Star Wars Holiday Special
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Caravan of Courage
    Battle for Endor
    (I'll probably watch some of the Ewoks cartoon and read Shadows of Endor also)
    Return of the Jedi

Should be fun :cool:

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Finish Legacy 2.0

Maybe finish Scoundrels, The Last Jedi and Kenobi.

The end.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Scoundrels
    The Han Solo Adventures
    The Lando Calrissian Adventures
    Into the Void
    The X-Wing Series, including Mercy Kill
    Maul: Lockdown
    Honor Among Thieves
    Razor's Edge
    Choices of One
    Kenobi
    Scourge
    Allegiance
    Shadow Games
    Red Harvest
    Death Troopers
    Tatooine Ghost
    Cloak of Deception
    Outbound Flight

In short i'm mostly trying to read what I haven't already read, as well as read a few favorites again along the way.The first of the new novels is scheduled to drop September 1st or 2nd I believe (A New Dawn) so i'll be sure to pick that up as well.

EDIT: Revan as well, there's also some comics, mostly in omnibus format. Hardest thing will be juggling it all, as i'm reading like 4 or 5 other book series right now as well.

yaxley and Dak Oolron like this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Honestly what Episode 7 and the whole EU reset make me want to read is the Hand of Thrawn books again, since when they came out, I remember wondering what was going to come next. Not only did they end seemingly sending the GFFA into a completely new chapter by closing the events set up by the OT, but at the same time the prequels were right around the corner and there was no telling the impact that was going to have, and the Del Rey purchase of the license was also about to happen, and for a time there were all sorts of rumors of it being a similar sort of EU reset that we just got. (And I think they even admitted that Vector Prime was originally supposed to mark a sort of soft-reboot, but that was already abandoned by the time of the final release.)

So really, I guess in terms of my Star Wars fandom, I'm feeling now like I did back in 1998 (though honestly, I was more optimistic back then).

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Everything I have yet to read I'm planning on reading before Episode VII comes out.

This includes

Death Star (currently reading, 83% done)
    Shadow Games
    Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
    Scoundrels
    Allegiance
    Choices of One
    Honor Among Thieves
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    The Mandalorian Armor
    Slave Ship
    Hard Merchandise
    Tales from the Empire
    Tales from the New Republic
    Tales from Jabba's Palace
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of Twilight
    The Crystal Star
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test
    The New Rebellion
    The Corellian Trilogy: Ambush at Corellia
    The Corellian Trilogy: Assault on Selonia
    The Corellian Trilogy: Showdown at Centerpoint
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Scourge
    X-Wing: Mercy Kill

I'm averaging at about a book and a half per week, should definitely finish by Episode VII, I might start on the comics I haven't read then.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    A much more rigorous schedule than I can commit to! I think my list equates to one book every 1-2 months. ;)

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    If I'm into a book, I can read it in about a week. However, sometimes books will drag a bit. Those can take up to a month for me.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Haha that's so far. When I get to Ruins of Dantooine and The Crystal Star we'll see how my pace does :p

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm just reading as much books as I can that I haven't read yet.

I'm currently reading Shield of Lies and my reading pile in the order I'll read them in is

Tyrant's Test
    Medstar 1: Battle Surgeons
    Medstar 2: Jedi Healer
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Attack of the Clones novel

I have been doing a lot of Star Wars reading recently. Over the last 2 weeks I've read I' Jedi, The Paradise Snare and Rebel Dawn(already read The Hutt Gambit a while ago) and earlier I finished reading Showdown at Centerpoint. Before Episode 7 comes out I'm hoping to have read in no particular order

Hard Merchandise
    Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina
    Tales From the Empire
    Tales From the New Republic
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    Knight Errant
    Revenge of the Sith novel
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    The Han and Lando Adventures
    Scoundrels
    Choices of One

There's still other books I need to get but those are the main ones I'm wanting.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I read Eichmann in Jerusalem the other week, and that had been on my list for a long time; I can cross that off, and hit up something else.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Couldn't this easily be construed as Depa being cured of her insanity after Shatterpoint, given that her fate afterward is completely up in the air?

I guess my reading list is probably just Traitor x 3 or something I dunno.

Shadow Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No.

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    :(

22. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Guys, nothing is canon with episode 7. Don't give yourself a headache trying to explain how Depa Billaba was conscious and trusted with a Padawan at the time of Order 66, because it's not meant to fit in the same continuity as Shatterpoint or any other EU novels. You don't have to pretend that Shatterpoint doesn't exist just because it's legends canon instead of new canon.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

Yea. Shaterpoint is still a cool book but trying to fit it into canon would be like trying to make the Tim Burton Batman and Chris Nolan Batman films fit into the same timeline/canon.

24. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

(It's just difficult, when what's canon is gungans imprisoning Grievous, and what isn't is...everything else)

25. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Using that episode to represent TCW is a bit like using The Crystal Star to represent the entire EU. :p

Vthuil likes this.