main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dark Times: Gallery Edition - the last DHC SW Book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, for a book of this type, $99.99 is actually quite reasonable - they could have charged $125-150!

[​IMG]

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I normally don't bother with things like this...

But. I feel sorry for Dark Horse losing the licence, and think I'll get it to make the point that this stuff was valued and that reprints are worth keeping in circulation.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Should have been called Star Wars: Dark Times: Suck It, Marvel!

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm going to buy it, not only because I like it, but because man I'm telling you after this dark horse has a problem. If you look at the top 300 comics, there not selling. I would have thought that there Mass Effect and Halo comics would do good, but I guess Master Chief is almost done and the Sentinels aren't good enough to spike sales. When Dark Horse loses the license they are going to hurt.

Doug Wheatley likes this.
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, if my general understanding of the publishing industry is at all correct, I think Dark Horse will be able to exist as a scaled-back publishing house without any danger of going out of business... but a lot of people are going to lose their jobs.

They've either gotta go full-force with special imprinted titles like the Hyrule History book that got so much buzz a while back (tough, because it involves convincing franchises with complete control of their properties to make big releases), or they've gotta branch out and stop acquiring all these franchise licenses and instead release some original IP to get some critical acclaim like Image.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Normally that would be a bit too much for me, as while I like the first Dark Times arc a bit, usually not that much. But for Dark Horse's last book, I'll make an exception and try to pick this up. I'm sure going to miss Dark Horse Star Wars comics, only another half a year for their books.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah Dark Times is not my favorite line (and I still blame it for the loss of Invasion and AotE) but... as DH's last SW product and as an interesting concept, I think this is worth looking into for the reasons others have mentioned.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    IF monthly comics was the sole revenue stream for them, perhaps but it isn't.

You can't not consider the effect of trade sales and manga - both of those mean DHC are likely to be just fine due to the mix of other product lines they have.

Changing tack, for a better idea of how the book is likely to be have a look at this article on the IDW Artists Edition of Daredevil: Born Again:
    http://www.tcj.com/some-thoughts-on-david-mazzucchellis-daredevil-born-again-artists-edition/

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ben, something your thread title made me wonder: if this is the "last book", are we still going to see any trades for the final Legacy arc, etc, before this Dark Times volume, or... are those not happening?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Covered in DHC's August solicits Zorr!

The last trades are due Oct-Nov

Orman Tagge and Zorrixor like this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Credit. Credit it for the loss of Invasion.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Careful Havac Kaye Galfridian will come and smack you around for saying something like that.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Galfridians were wearisome but I really liked seeing the Solo babies before they were all dead. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I really have little interest in the actual book. But the part of me that loves the last 36 years of Star Wars wants to get it simply for completeness and to thank Dark Horse for all they did with the license.

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    while it may be PR i thought i heard something about them saying that star wars made up only 6 percent of their revenue?

another poster said master chief is ending... I don't follow halo comics but there is a halo collection coming this fall and halo 5 next year. I believe Halo hype is going up because of this.

as for dark horse focusing more on their own properties, I believe they should try balancing that while also increasing the scale of their current licenses.

Perhaps try bugging whedon to make more firefly/serenity books. Expand Dragon age, the last airbender more, halo, etc.

I really hope losing star wars doesnt ruin them.

Edit: while normally I'd buy this in a heartbeat since this is their last book, by the time this comes out I will have spent so much on their star wars line that I don't think I can justify spending 100 bucks on this.

I'll just have to wait for your impressions/

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think I'm going to dress up as the Dark Horse logo for CVII and carry this book around. I'll haunt the Marvel stands and silently hold the book open to key pages when people pass by. I should probably bring one of those Panel to Panels too. Be the creepy mime Dark Horseman.

17. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Do it while riding a black horse to complete the effect.
    Also, I now want to see someone dress up as the dark horse logo.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm that oddball who never liked Dark Times, but I really want to buy this just as a sort of farewell thing.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    And she would be a mighty hero.

Ugh. Worst comic.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    They really missed the boat by not having Frank Miller actually finish those new 300 and Sin City comics he's been talking about for years, to coincide with the new movie releases.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They likely tried, but Frank properly ate the people they send, or worse he forced them to watch the Spirit movie.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, they just got monologued.

A really bad one.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Uh, yeah, this has my attention- how did I miss this announcement?

The Path to Nowhere may not be the peak of the Dark Times series (obviously that would be Blue Harvest) but it was asolid start, but that's not really important here- the key thing is we're getting full-sized Wheatley art! That's major! There's a reason it convinced the company to massively delay publication of issues just to maintain that level of art throughout the majority of the series. The detail the guy put into his stuff (especially the earlier arcs) was incredible on the regular page, so it'll be very interesting to see what other details pop at full-scale.

24. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
  25. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I apologize if this is the wrong place for discussion, but did anyone think that Dark Times had it's strongest Wheatley art at the beginning (Into the Unknown/Path to Nowhere) and ended with lackluster art (for Wheatley) in A spark remains?

A Spark Remains art just seemed slightly off and less vibrant compared to Wheatley's previous works.