main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What's your favorite small detail from the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 23, 2013.

1. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm dying [face_laugh]

I'm not sure if this really counts as a detail, but these two conversations seem to fit together so nicely. They make Return of the Jedi so, so touching. Were it not for these two conversations, Return of the Jedi wouldn't have as much finality as it does. These quotes were lifted from IMDB.

Conversation 1:
    Luke: Search your feelings, Father, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
    Darth Vader: It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
    Luke: Then my father is truly dead.

I bolded that line because it has always held so much weight for me. It reveals the humanity that still lives in Vader. Everyone always complains about how the PT made Vader a tragic hero instead of an epic villain, but in my opinion it was subtly established here. The delivery of the line by James Earl Jones coupled with the body language by David Prowse make this line come to life. Now we can see that Vader isn't necessarily proud of where he is. He almost sounds regretful. He can't turn back, even if he wanted to. Or so he thinks...

Conversation 2:
    Darth Vader: Luke... help me take this mask off.
    Luke: But you'll die.
    Darth Vader: Nothing... can stop that now. Just for once... let me... look on you with my *own* eyes.
    [Luke takes off Darth Vader's mask one piece at a time. Underneath, Luke sees the face of a pale, scarred, bald-headed, old man - his father, Anakin. Anakin sadly looks at Luke]
    Anakin: Now... go, my son. Leave me.
    Luke: No. You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
    Anakin: You already... have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.
    [Anakin slumps down in death]
    Luke: Father... I won't leave you.

Vader is saying that Luke was right about the good still being within him. The conflict that Luke was referencing was truly there, and his father redeemed himself (and saved the galaxy in the process). The delivery of those lines are so touching. Vader's final lines could not have been better.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I like when Han tries to assuage the Ewoks by telling them that Threepio is an old friend of his. It's nice to hear Han acknowledge that he and Threepio are friends, even if slightly sardonically.

DowClimber, WriterMan and Iron_lord like this.
  3. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    When 3PO is boarding the Falcon in ANH and he walks past Han and cheerfully says "Hello, sir." Followed by the world's biggest eye roll from Han.

4. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    Going along with this, the music that plays as Vader dies is a really soft, piano version of the Imperial march.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    Another subtle musical cue: the space battle in ROTJ. As the rebel pilots report in and Wedge says "lock s-foils in attack position," the main theme is heard very subtly while the ships prepare for battle. It's like the calm before the storm but also a call-back to ANH, like "here we go one last time."

Right after 1:20 in the video

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Han covering Threepio's faceplate in ESB to get him to shut up is fairly genius.

7. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I love those too, especially how Bail clenches his left hand spasmodically, almost fearfully/guiltily, as though he's just had a flash of premonition of the dark future into which this war is going to lead his beloved Republic, and feels responsible for having been complicit in it.

8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I'm not sure if my memory is faulty (I actually haven't seen the full films in years now, ack!), but I think I'm fondly remembering a moment that was cut from ANH. Anyhoo, if it was indeed trimmed out, I would have liked that little moment where Luke is about to put the restraining bolt back on C-3PO, but instead decides not to. It's a nice, subtle hint to how trusting he is, and how he's already starting to consider the droids as more than just droids, which is a start to how he treats them as friends later on in the saga.

9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Palps cackling when he's fighting Yoda. He either really digs fighting Yoda or loves the sound of his own laugh. Either way that fight wouldn't have been as good without all that sinister cackling.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

You're right - it was cut out of the film (apparently it was shot, it's just never been publicly seen), but it appears in the novel, that's probably where you remember it from.

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Ahh, okay then, thanks for clearing that up. Maybe stills of it have wound up online or something too, because I thought I remembered actually seeing it somehow. Oh well!

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

You might have seen a 'still' of it in a SW Insider issue which covered the 'Lost Cut' from 1976. The still itself wouldn't have looked much different to the rest of the scene, Luke is repairing Threepio's arm anyway, so if you read it anywhere which described the scene which was accompanied by a shot of Luke & Threepio, there you go.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Who is the third biggest villain? I can't decide between Dooku and Tarkin.

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    PT/OT. You don't have to decide. Both.

15. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hey, there's somebody else that thinks so! In my opinion, it just looks so much better than a hyper-realistic door.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When Vader walks up to the Imperial Tie-Fighter pilots and says "Several fighters have broken off from the main group. Come with me." and they walk off to their fighters. The music and the sirens (I think they were going off) make this scene pretty memorable imo.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. Brewmeister Smith

Brewmeister Smith Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    -There's a deleted scene in Empire of Leia and Luke discussing Han's carbon freeze and Luke wryly remarks "poor Han" as though he really wasn't that surprised to hear his friend getting into so much trouble.

-On the Sail Barge in RoTJ when Luke says "I've taken care of everything" and Han is still incredulous about it: "Oh, great."

-I noticed this after the previous scene when I was watching RoTJ: Before Jabba tries to have Luke, Han and Chewie executed, R2 is seen moving inconspicuously to the top deck of the Sail Barge. Boba Fett turns his head towards R2's suspicious movements. Obviously he knew Luke wasn't going into the Sarlaac without a battle, and this was going to be his chance to confront him. It reminds the audience that his loyalty was to himself rather than Jabba or the Empire.

-When Han says "Hey, it's me" to Luke and Leia on Endor and they look at each other sarcastically. It's the whole camaraderie of the characters who undoubtedly have each other's backs in all these impossible situations.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, I LOLed at that too. :p

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I love how it rains ashes on Mygeeto. It's a truly creative concept.

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    The floor of the room that Anakin is being operated and turned into Vader is the Imperial Crest. Love that detail.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    When the Ewoks start worshipping C-3PO, Luke is chuckling in the background.

I also liked when non-Jedi characters say "May the Force Be With You/Us." It makes the Force more exclusive and not just for the use of the genetically lucky.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Republic symbol becoming the Imperial symbol. I love the irony that the Empire was once the Republic.

23. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    • The languages! Not everyone speaks Basic, and yet we can understand them thanks to context. Also like how Nien Nunb's language is an actual Earth language. How cool is that?
    • When the Stormtrooper hits his head on the door. Yeah, can't see much outta those eyeholes can ya, bud? [face_laugh]
    • Covering 3PO's speaker makes him shut up?? 1. speakers don't work that way, but 2. why doesn't someone do that more often? :D
    • Corpsey the Ewok. Not all the good guys win. :(
    • Seeing Moff Tarkin (don't think he's "Grand Moff, yet) in ROTS. Such an amazing double!
    • "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't, doesn't count." Having a bit of trouble, trouble speaking? Even very powerful Jedi aren't perfect!
    • Aurra Sing in TPM. Don't know why I like that... just interesting.
    • And, finally, Robot Chicken and Family Guy doing their thing with the movies. LOVE that. Yeah, it's not in the actual Saga, but related. So sue me. :)

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Really? I always thought his head was painfully fake-looking.

Although interestingly, he was apparently played by Wayne "Scorpius" Pygram, who wouldn't be a bad Young Tarkin.

25. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Isn't there a harp in there?