main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT why did obi wan not use force speed to catch up to qui gon

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 31, 2014.

1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Remember the beginning of TPM when obiwan and qui gon used force speed to esccape from the droidkeas, when obiwan got seperated why didn't obi wan just use force speed to pass the laser shield and catch up to qui gon so they could both take on darth maul.

Most star wars characters don't use their brain on the most obvious situations.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    More like GL didn't use his brain & forgot what he had written earlier

3. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    That is so true, GL needs to remember what he put so he dont make some of the starwars characters look stupid.

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because he wanted Qui-Gon to die, and for Obi-Wan to be isolated somehow so that's what he did. Honestly, I would've just had Maul Force Throw Obi-Wan into a wall to knock him out then on with the fight.

deadly jp likes this.
  5. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    I agree with you that makes more sense than obi wan running to qui gon when he could of used force speed.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Nice [face_laugh]

8. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    Lucas forgot

most likely Lucas thought it looked cool at the beginning, then he forgot he had just gave jedi that ability

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Is it really them who don't use it? If you pay attention, you'll realize that on the first scenario, he's calm and collected. On the latter, he was already tired due to the battle and seconds before he had just used the Force to make an huge jump in order to reach the same catwalk where Qui-Gon and Maul were fighting.

10. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    How do you know he didn't? In intense moments like this, a second lasts forever. So it could've been slo-mo force speed.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The most logical explanation is that the combat and his huge Force Jump had exhausted him. To put it in video game terms, he had run out of Force Points

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he was exhausted. he super jumped just before.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    If you watch closely, the initial burst of speed at the beginning of the film, against the droidekas, is more of a dodge. Luke does a similar thing when he gets out of the carbon freezing pit while Vader's back is turned.

I see it more as a perceptual trick. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan perform a quick lateral evasion against droids, while Luke goes vertical and surprises a half-droid man.

It probably wasn't possible -- let alone wise -- for Obi-Wan to try something similar at or near the laser gates. Maybe errant bursts of the Force even triggered the gate mechanism?

Very strange those gates. They evoke the alienness and discombobulation felt when watching a "samurai" movie. Some things the viewer just isn't meant to understand. The characters participate in strange rituals and know more than we do. Obi and Qui might know exactly the obstacle they're up against; but we have no clue.

I'll add that, secondary to Obi-Wan being pooped as a solid answer in and of itself, he was earlier working with Qui-Gon, and perhaps the speed maneuver was something they perfected together. In other words, he can't utilize the technique on his own, or he'd have to be 100% to do it, or whatever.

Or it's just "bad writing".

14. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    Because like R2 having the ability to fly, screw consistency?

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It isn't a lack of consistency, but your comparison does make me think that these are indeed two similar scenarios. It's easy to assume that R2 was modified over the years and his rockets were either damaged or removed, which I suppose is like a droid counterpart to a Jedi being exhausted and temporarily unable to use the Force

AshiusX likes this.
  16. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I remember reading that Industrial Automaton placed a warranty on the flying capability, hence the reason he doesn't fly in the OT.

17. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, yeah. This. Never took it to be anything else myself. In the Blu-ray version it was further augmented to something more of a blurring effect, so as to make for difficult blaster bolt targets, perhaps especially concerning droids. In short, it's a momentary, slight edge enhancement of immediate physical evasion. But it's not as if the Jedi are like the Flash.

18. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Exactly. Per the original film, a lot of the Jedi's powers are based on mind games, stealth, and trickery. Right after conning men in plastic, Obi-Wan tells Luke (and the audience) outright: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded". Even Vader appears to use the power of suggestion to make Motti think he is choking. TPM takes a similar tack with its symbolic language of decoys, garbled transmissions, double dealings, cave imagery, and things not being as they seem. The title is an outright deification of the same shadowy, Machiavellian theme.

19. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Motti WAS choking. Force Choke is not a perception, but a literal choke.

Also, why couldn't Obi-Wan have still used the force to help Qui-Gon? You know, distracting Maul with Force Pushes and whatnot. Would that gate block the force usage at all?

20. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't think he was. The original film makes a point of grounding the Force in something rooted more in the mind; or something outside of conditioned, rational understanding. This feature of the original, I think, is even more strongly the case after the prequels, if the saga is watched in "episode" order.

In this way, Motti takes the sensation of being choked literally, despite maligning Vader for attempting to frighten them with his "sorcerer's ways". His limited, technocratic thinking allows Vader to overpower his senses -- thus proving Vader's point (or subliminal prediction) that reliance on "technological terror" (faith in the simplistic products of overt rationality) may signal the Empire's downfall.

Of course, this issue, in and of itself, also comes down to perception. In the case of poor ol' Motti: you say he was, I say he wasn't. Toe-may-tah, toe-mah-toe. Both are true; and neither.

I don't know. Sorta strikes me, though, that both combatants -- Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon -- would have to be working together (per the film's symbiosis theme) in order for anything like a "Force push" to be efficacious once one or the other is engaged in a duel.

I mean, maybe it isn't even possible, in any sense Obi-Wan knows, for him to interrupt the fight at a distance, or swing things in Qui-Gon's favour. Maul and Qui-Gon are perhaps fighting outside of Obi-Wan's frame; and if Obi-Wan is outside of their frame, he can't interfere by using the Force (because whatever he does would be out-of-sync with their engagement in that present moment). They're going at a different pace.

And the gates might block conventional Force use. That's a whole other topic, but they could be hugely protective of whatever that room is used for, disallowing or otherwise limiting even the more exorbitant powers of folk like the Jedi/the Sith. Perhaps they're just too much for a neophyte like Obi-Wan to overcome.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    No, it was a physical choke. Vader used that same ability against Ozzel in ESB, and Ozzel died from asphyxiation. We know that Force-users can manipulate physical objects, and there are several examples in ESB of this. Using the Force to squeeze a throat shut is no different than using it to levitate a rock.

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Reprise:

23. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    In The Phantom Menace script, Lucas comes up with loads of new Force abilities which he never showed onscreen, with the exception of Force speed - and he abandoned that one.

One of the cool ones was that Obi-Wan and Maul vibrate so fast they disappear.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I would guess something like that would make one tired, and therefore only used as a last resort when fighting is no longer an option. I'm sure Obi-Wan needed all the energy that he had, especially after being kicked off a catwalk and plummeting down fifty feet or so. Besides, it wasn't like Qui-Gon was losing the battle, anyway. Although people insist that Lucas screwed up here, I wouldn't consider this a mistake.

25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    His Magicka hadn't regenerated yet.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.