main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm about halfway through and enjoying it so far. As someone who had zero interest in watching Rebels whatsoever, it is making me curious as to how the show will turn out. Without spoilers, the tone of the book is definitely a good bit darker than what (admittedly little) we've seen of the show. I suppose that's to be expected with the difference in genre, but it may be a bit of a disconnect once the show starts if they are really different...

I also have a super-newb question. How do you add in the hidden spoiler tag/tab?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [ spoiler ] text here [ /spoiler ]

Take out the spaces.

my kind of scum likes this.
  3. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    Thank you.

They didn't waste any time throwing female stormtroopers into the mix...

4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    The sample was adequate. Felt like old EU to me. Kind of disappointed but will read for JJM. He tends to start off wobbly and gain momentum in his prose stuff.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just posted to the Del Ray Facebook page:
    Emphasis mine. *sits back to watch fireworks.*

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No need for fireworks, Shelly covered this the other day:
    The fact Legends are no longer a part of official history means they were before, so there you go. Fireworks averted :p

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ye gods, what a frelling mess.

JJM doesn't deserve this!

Valin__Kenobi and Zorrixor like this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    lol facebook

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You say fireworks, you meant:

[​IMG]

General response to that fool Facebook page:

[​IMG]

Random Comments likes this.
  10. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    Finished it last night.

Liked it, though it became pretty predictable and a bit drawn out by the end, in my opinion. Some rather spoilery thoughts: -
    -It's odd to me that Hera is shown as the leader-character, quite obviously. Kanan seems to be in charge in the show clips, but he's clearly subservient to her in the book.
    -The book is quite violent. There's a scene where someone is dissolved in acid, thrashing to get out while the villain holds them down in it. The villain then kills her husband when he tries to take revenge. I'm kind of surprised at the level of adult content in a book designed to set up a Disney XD series.
    -They apparently end up on Lothal (though it's unnamed) at the end of the book though it is still only Hera and Kanan.
    -Hera doesn't know Kanan has a lightsaber - I assume that will be a big "surprise" moment in the show.
    -Every named alien race retains their old EU species name. (Off the top of my head: Ithorians, Besalisks, Devaronians, Twi'leks, Sullustans...) Very little other EU lore is mentioned that I recognized.
    -There are several loose ends character-wise left open. I imagine we may see some of these folks reappear in the series.

Overall, the book made me more likely to give the show a shot. It didn't make me uncontrollably excited for it, though.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [face_relieved]

12. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Thank God. I figured they'd be called Hammerheads from now on.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Nooooooo, I was so hoping they'd be renamed Space Sharks! :_|

DelRiego likes this.
  14. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    For some reason, I now have the 15 seconds of looping Ithorian dialogue used for every single conversation with an Ithorian in KOTOR repeating in my mind.

Vthuil, cdgodin, Starkeiller and 8 others like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished the book. Took lots of continuity notes and the like.

Sample:

-- female Imperials everywhere. Not just Captain Sloane, but also female stormtroopers. Somebody mentioned them before, but I'll add a detail: a squad of four stormtroopers only had a single male, and he wasn't the one in charge! There's also Lt. Deltic, the female science officer of the ship as well as a random unnamed female Comms officer. As to Sloane, when she mulls the prospect of eventual promotion to admiral, she only considers her inexperience and youth, not her sex, as the obstacle. I think Imperial sexism is well and truly dead.

-- Core, Inner Rim, and Colonies all still a thing

-- The Imperial Court is canon, as is the inner circle of advisors. Aristocratic intrigue still a thing.

-- Corulag is still a thing. Sullustans still love underground.

-- His Imperial Majesty is used. The Emperor is called Emperor Palpatine, not Sidious

-- references to elevators and restrooms instead of turbo lifts and refreshers

-- Also, Sloane is officially my favorite character in the NEU so far. A female Imperial who reaches her rank through competence, who is regal and commanding, who is dutiful and loyal -- the polar opposite of the dark days of Bantam and its Isards, Daalas, and Taviras. Thank you JJM!

More thoughts on the Empire/implications for the show and continuity notes later, along with a review on ETE at some point soon. But all in all -- it's made me feel a lot better about the NEU.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Did not see that one coming.

Riv_Shiel, cdgodin, Zer0 and 4 others like this.
  17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Requiescat in pace. @};-

cdgodin, Zer0, JackG and 3 others like this.
  18. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    "Imperial sexism is well and truly dead"

[face_party] [face_party] [face_party] [face_party]

Well hey, so far the NEU sounds okay to me then.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    At least I hope so. We'll find out if Tarkin goes the other way, but hopefully the SG keeps things consistent. All the females might just be JJM randomly being awesome, but I hope it's actually an intentional change.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    ewwwww right?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Keep in mind that this is an uncorrected proof though -- it may have been unintentional. And the old terms may have been used elsewhere and entirely skipped my notice because they're familiar.

Generally the feel was that it reads like a good old EU book, with things like datapads and all the rest. So that could've been an explicit change, a choice of words for new readers since these is the first NEU book with old terms still synonymous, or even an accident.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Welp, that's it. I'm out. You can keep your new continuity, Lucasfilm. [face_not_talking]

[​IMG]

23. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Sounds like a good question for an upcoming interview, GrandAdmiral... :)

cdgodin, vstarvan, Gorefiend and 9 others like this.
  24. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    Great, JJM. You pop into the thread and I feel instantly terrible for the negative thing I said about the book. ;)

As it is somewhat related (both being Rebels and all) and I didn't see it having its own thread, I received Ezra's Gamble - the young reader's novel from Ryder Wyndham. In the first two chapters, it
    quotes imperial propaganda from Brian Daley's radio drama (that was awesome and unexpected) and reintroduces Houks and Feeorins to the new continuity. (It also name drops more races from the films - Trandoshans, Xexto, Balosars... Not too surprising after A New Dawn, though.)
    I'm definitely feeling like the vast amount of world building is going to stay in place and I am definitely happy about that.

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Don't sweat it! :) I only check in once in a while to see if there's a question that I'll want to address either in an interview, my behind the scenes page, or right away. (I always stay out of the official review threads over here -- it's a good policy for writers in general, everywhere!)