main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Your Personal Canon

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by WriterMan, May 27, 2014.

1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Realistic clone wars comic series? Are you referring to Star Wars: Republic?

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014

Yes I am, I knew it was called republic for its run but I was referring to the clone wars part of the series. I guess I should'v just called it republic like it was originally named, sorry about that.

3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Oh no problem at all! I was just wondering. There are a lot of Clone Wars comics, and (for example) the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars would be considered realistic relative to the Clone Wars Adventures.

darth car likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Timeline A: Sith form from First Great Schism, KOTOR II, SWTOR, and Denningverse don't happen.
    Timeline B: Sith form from Second Great Schism, Palpatine born 5000 years early and named Vitiate, SWTOR marks end of this timeline.
    Timeline C: Same as Timeline A except Jacen and Vergere have very different personalities, causing Denningverse to happen instead of NJO and Legacy.

5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Pretty much everything except bits and pieces. Large chunks of the new Clone Wars series I leave out of my personal canon, and much of the Darth Plagueis story (he died way too late in my opinion). Oh, and Revan wasn't just trying to conquer the republic to help repel the true sith invasion.

6. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    OK so, somewhat belatedly, here’s my list:

KOTOR game (All of Revan and Malak’s story)
    KOTOR the comic series with Zayne Carrick and company.
    SWTOR game story and all the books from the Old Republic series, Revan, Decieved, Fatal Alliance Annihilation etc.
    The Darth Bane series of books,
    (All of the above have to be in my canon because I totally and completely love the stories!)
    Star Wars Jedi Apprentice young adult short-books about Obi-Wan’s Padawan years. – I never liked the writing in these books – I think the restricted vocabulary and lack of complex sentence structure made it stilted and awkward at times. However, I would keep the story ideas and characterisation as they were great..
    Darth Plagueis by James Lucenno – because I found it BRILLIANT.
    Episode 1 The Phantom Menace book by Terry Brooks as canon above the film because I think the story holds together better and the characterisation works better for me.
    Episode 2 The Attack of the Clones book by R A Salvatore and the film (I see the book as explaining in more detail the story which we see, in part, in the film.)
    Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover – one of my absolute favourite stories. Loved it!
    The Republic Comic series set in the clones wars and collected in the ‘Clone Wars’ TPB. (Not the comics based on the TV show but the earlier ones, which start with ‘The Defence of Kamino’.)
    Prelude to Rebellion, Outlander and Jedi Twilight TPB’s
    Episode 3 The Revenge of the Sith book by Matthew Stover and film jointly – again with the book explaining in more detail the story of the film.
    Coruscant Nights trilogy by Michael Reeves
    Dark Times Comic series with Dass Jennir.
    Crispin’s Han Solo Trilogy – I especially like this because it gives Solo some background with crusading women and puts his initial response to Leia into an understandable perspective.
    SW Empire Comic series (begins before A New Hope and ends after it).
    The Force Unleashed I – comics and game
    SW Rebels – I really love this TV series and the Jason Fry kid’s novels.
    A New Hope film
    SW comics series vol 1-4 beginning with ‘In the Shadow of Yavin’
    The Empire Strikes Back film
    The Return of the Jedi film
    SW Legacy comic series

Significant deliberate omissions:

The Clone Wars TV series. - I really enjoyed this, the animation was great and the stories were entertaining but I found the TV series’ relationship to the rest of the world of Star Wars at odds and this detracted from the stories for me (especially and particularly the whole Morriband/Korriban thing which is, for me, the single most annoying, upsetting and pointless change in the whole SW universe. While I enjoyed them, (and really massively enjoyed series 6 and the story arc in series 5 with the Droid team including WAC47), it always felt to me that the series had strayed into an alternate Star Wars universe to me and not one connected well with the PT or the OT.

The Thrawn Trilogy and the New Jedi Order. - If I’d answered this question a few months back I might have included the Thrawn Trilogy and the New Jedi Order books (plus the Invasion comics) but somehow it feels odd now Disney have dumped it. I guess, although I really enjoyed a lot of this it is an area that I’m OK with letting go. I feel a bit stunned that I actually feel like that but that’s genuinely how it is for me.
    (PS: I have not read Tarkin yet but my guess is that it will be brilliant and will become part of my personal canon very quickly.)

SlashMan likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If Cushy likes it, it's canon. I will continue to like mostly Post-RotJ EU regardless how many here tell me it's invalid/will be overwritten. Cushy doesn't care. At this point I avoid all games, only comic I like is DE, I avoid PT Era books, ignore both CW series (TCW is dull as all get out and still doesn't give me the 'good man' Ben spoke of). I will likely ignore all Mouse materials. Cushy likes most Gilad's arc (how he dies is crap) and the reference materials. :)

8. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Anyone consider some fan fiction in their own personal canon?
    Personally I have read fanfiction I'd liked better than many of the novels.

I would like Prince Xizor to be canon. If they ever did an animated between ESB and ROTJ I'd like him in there.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I do. There are two NJO book series' AU Fanfic endings that I like just as much as the true ending for that series. The continuation fins after the NJO rewrites are better than what we got with DNT?LOTF/FOTJ.

10. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Tales of the Jedi (the originals, not Golden Age of the Sith or Fall of the Sith Empire) - Sith created in First Great Schism and once ruled the galaxy
    KOTOR comics, KOTOR & KOTOR II
    Knight Errant
    Jedi vs Sith, and DB:RoT and DB:DoE (except where it contradicts JvS)
    Pretty much everything from Darth Plagueis to the NJO, with the exceptions of The Clone Wars, The Force Unleashed, and anything set during the OT with the exception of Shadows of the Empire, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, The Crystal Star and Glove of Darth Vader. Of these, Darth Plagueis, Republic comics, the Clone Wars story arc (particularly Yoda: Dark Rendezvous) Labyrinth of Evil, ROTS novelisation, Dark Empire (which should be set before the Thrawn trilogy), said Thrawn trilogy and Traitor are my favourites).

However, my personal canon includes fanfic as well. The latter half of the NJO, and all hence, is replaced with the Legacy of the Sith fanfic series by YodaKenobi. the events of Heart of the Sith by Lord Zeron replaces TOR, and Yoda's flirtation with the dark side and meeting the Sith in Souderwan's Fall of the Sith is canonical as well.

I love Legacy, and don't mind TOR, so I would like to salvage them by placing them in the New Sith Wars period, and making all the changes that are necessary for such.

Amon_Amarth and Jo B1 Kenobi like this.
  11. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I accept most work, but with some alterations and additions of my own:

1. Plagueis dies earlier than he does in the novel.
    2. The Sith Empire founded by the dark jedi exiles was created in 10000 BBY, not 6900.
    3. No "Darth Maul returns from the dead" stories.
    4. That "the force is bacteria" thing I tend to disregard too.
    5. A series of genocides conducted by Darth Caedus and many years later by Darth Krayt lead to Hutt extinction by 137 ABY.
    6. Grievous isn't as much of a weak fool in my canon

That's just some of it.

12. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm curious, why the 10,000 BBY date Meyerm?

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Most of Plagueis, most of Cloak of Deception, the movies, TCW, the Rogue Squadron games (excluding Relics of Geonosis), and the new Vader comics

14. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I don't know, just seems more fitting. The Empire from Dromund Kaas lasted about 1500 years, and the New Sith were around for a thousand years. Having the old empire be around for several millenia instead of just 900 years gives an idea of how stalwart and successful the old sith were without jedi or republic interference.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    The old Empire (prior to Vitiate's reformation) was around for 1,900 years, not 900.

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment. Prior to a certain pointlessly made retcon that shifted the Schism that birthed the Sith from the First to the Second, the longevity and success of the old Sith Empire was firmly set in stone thanks to their being around for 19,500 years.

DurararaFTW and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Oh yeah, sorry, get a little confused with the "count-down" dating system. Guess it would be 1,900, but I still like to think the Sith Empire founded by the exiles wasn't as much of an infant compared to the then-20,000 year old Republic.

17. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Agreed.

Ulicus even came up with the interesting idea that the Jedi and Republic were born out of the Sith Empire, making sense of the fact that the dark side has always supposed to have been the easier and more seductive path, with the first Jedi being a Kel'eth Ur or Darth Gravid type figure. Said idea was formed when it seemed such would never be congruous with (Legends) canon, but now that a pre-Republic Sith Empire of some breadth and influence has emerged, and we see Sith purebloods in the early Je'daii forerunners, it makes one wonder whether that idea can't work as a viable theory.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As I've always seen it, at the end of the First Great Schism, the Dark Jedi are exiled and discover the Sith species while the Republic is formed to ensure that the galaxy isn't threatened again.

19. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    That's a lovely idea! I'm quite interested in reading some fan-fiction - it seems that there's some really great stories out there. I've read loads of the EU (from Dawn of the Jedi to up to Cade Skywalker's Legacy series). Can you recommend a good fan-fic read to start with?

PS: My favourite eras are, the Old Republic and the pre-Empire Republic when Obi-Wan was a padawan.

20. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I haven't read fanfic stories in those eras, I am more of an AU OT person, but on fanfiction.net you should be able to find something, There are lots of Obi-wan stories.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    In the Old Republic era is The Power of Choice, a KOTOR AU (Alternate Universe) where Revan, unbeknownst to the Jedi, retains his identity. That's my favourite KOTOR fanfic. There's also Descent into the Dark which I think I mentioned in my above post, set about 300 years before TPM, covering Yoda's brush with the dark side. The fanfic is not an AU, but it does also serve as the (chronologically) first installment in a fantastic trilogy, with Fall of the Sith being an AU where Mace kills Palpatine, and Edge of the Darkness being an incomplete sequel to FotS.

Valairy Scot and LuvEwan have some of the best Obi-Wan-centric fics around, many of which are set when he was a Padawan, although not all of them are complete. My favourites are What the Heart Hides (set during the Clone Wars) and The Broken Cadence Rolls (TPM AU, incomplete). While straying further from what you outlined as your favourite bracket, I'd highly recommend the AU Betrayal, for its characterisation of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and a chilling, truly disturbing Darth Sidious.

My favourite fanfics overall fall mostly outside your favourite eras, but they come highly recommended nonetheless. The Shadow of Vader is probably my all-time favourite fanfic, being an AU in which Obi-Wan becomes Darth Vader, and while nowhere near as well written, Misunderstood is thoroughly memorable for its sarcastic and hilarious teenaged former-Sith-Apprentice!Anakin. Then there's the eight-book series (well, technically, a trilogy, a shorter in-betwen story and then a four-book series called Legacy of the Sith) of one YodaKenobi, a consistently brilliantly written AU where Anakin survives in the NJO. It brings in a lot of KOTOR elements as well.

Joanne2108 and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The YodaKenobi stories has Anakin Solo, not Anakin Skywalker. Just to clarify on that suggestion.

I have some of the characters, aliens, planets, technology, etc of TCW and Rebels in my EU canon but the details are different. Ashoka isn't Anakin's Padawan but a fellow Jedi, Fulcrum isn't who it is in Rebels etc.

DurararaFTW and Darth_Dreadwar like this.
  23. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Some other random stuff I forget:

1. Sith purebloods in the Dromund Kaas-era sith empire are precisely recorded and interbreeding heavily restricted to ensure the bloodline doesn't become too deluded. In other words, no billions of humans with trace sith DNA, too deluded to be distinguished from pure human, as some lore suggests.
    2. Grievous doesn't flee or lose duels as often as in TCW.
    3. Darth Krayt was apprenticed under Lumiya's sith before travelling to Korriban, so basically a dark jedi vagabond for several decades.
    4. At least a year passes between Han Solo's rescue from Jabba and Yoda's death/Battle of Endor (Always seemed rushed to me. I feel like there should have been more time Luke spent as a full jedi knight before facing Vader again and the emperor).
    5. Corporate Sector Authority didn't exist and Empire of the Hand came to being only after Palpatine's death. Too many vassal states for the Empire's ego-maniacal centralized policies.
    6. CIS holdouts completely wiped out and imperialization complete within a decade after the clone wars.

darklordoftech and DurararaFTW like this.
  24. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    THANK_YOU so much - this is brilliant!!!!!!! I'll get started then. ...

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  25. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Lots of people are saying they don't consider The Force Unleashed to be part of their personal canon. For me, I consider the novel to be canon. Not necessarily the video game. The extremely exaggerated Force powers Starkiller uses in the video game are lots of fun to see, but I don't really consider it canonical (though the cutscenes could be canon I guess. Just not the gameplay portions). The novel felt like a more realistic portrayal of what Vader's secret apprentice would really be like. I also really loved the story and how it lead up to the formation of the rebel alliance.

SlashMan and The Emotional Jedi like this.