main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why fight Grievous with lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jesse Booth, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    He isn't force sensitive, so he would be completely defenseless against force attacks. It'd be much easier to crush his rib cage in or sling him over a cliff than to fight him with a lightsaber. Any theories on why the Jedi didn't think of this?

Dak Oolron and andresfelix like this.
  2. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    It really bugs me to see force muggles using light sabers. We tolerated Han on Hoth, it was life and death, but still I think we all imagined (even 2/3 of the way through the prequels) that you HAD to be a Jedi to use a light saber. Having a useless cyborg bad guy wielding light sabers seems like a breech of protocol. It does bug me a lot.

But that's not the topic. The topic is Obi-Wan fighting Grievous with light sabers. Well, that's what Jedi do. I suppose the most efficient weapon would be an EMP or force lightning to short out his body.

I suppose with the Force it would be an efficient means to fight anybody by messing with their internal organs -- basically the road which Force Choke pioneered. I guess you could stop someone's heart or maybe using the Mind Trick they could trick autonomic brain functions to cause a heart attack, etc.

3. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Grievous with lightsabers is one of the mistakes of the prequels. For a start, it makes the Jedi less unique, and lightsabers less special - and for what? The sake of one more lightsaber duel in a film with five of them?

Secondly, when Grievous is approaching Obi-Wan with four blades, spinning around cutting through the ground, it's ridiculous that Obi-Wan could fight back. FOUR blades. All Grievous has to do is hit him with two at once, or three, and Obi-Wan can't defend himself.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    To a Jedi, I'd imagine it was quite the insult to see a cyborg using the weapon of the Jedi. The fact that Obi-Wan probably knew those fallen comrades only compounds that. Trained by Dooku or not, using lightsabers seemed like more like a psychological edge as opposed to a strategic one, since it was seen how easily Obi-Wan overwhelmed him with the Force. Still, I liked seeing his mechanical handling of the lightsabers; the saber spin was awesome. Before this, I'd never imagined a lightsaber being (mis)used in this way.

Anyways, to answer the question; Obi-Wan only needed to distract him. After the clones arrived, he had no use for him (he just Force pushed him into the ceiling). The rest of the fight centered around making Obi-Wan a more even match for Grievous; he loses his lightsaber and ends up hanging over a cliff.

We see from Revenge of the Sith that a skilled Jedi can actually take Grievous on easily when it comes to Force combat. But his unorthodox technique seems to give him an edge against those ill-prepared. The fatigued Jedi in Clone Wars were overwhelmed by him (meanwhile, Mace used the Force to make short work of him like Obi-Wan). I think The Clone Wars afterwards make Grievous seem more capable in the countless times he's stood his ground against a seasoned Jedi.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Mace did crush his chest during the kidnapping of Palpatine and Obi-wan does a Force push on Grievous. However, he was well designed to take such a beating which is why it was futile. As to his using their Lightsabers, it was intended as an insult to the Jedi. A way to try and demoralize them. Anyone can use Lightsaber, but only someone strong with the Force can use it the way the Jedi and the Sith have.

darth ladnar likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

The PT was awfully lax about enforcing that rule, but I'm sure Jedi can sense the wrongness of killing with direct application of something that "life creates it, and makes it grow."

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014

However, by not using the force to kill Grievous, the Jedi allowed millions more died over the years. I think that using the force to kill someone in this kind of situation is fairly excusable.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, Obi Wan did pretty dammned good with the lightsabers considering he totally beat GG in the short lightsaber duel they had. Then he did use the Force causing him to run off.

I would add that the Force is not an unlimited resource, or perhaps access to it is not unlimited.

9. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Hondo found that Slave 1's cannons were effective. Too bad he didn't finish the job then and there.

10. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    I imagine it would've been easy for a Jedi to troll Grievous.

G.G.: "Ahh, Master Booth. I have been expecting you."

J.B.: "Rrrrrrrrrreally? I'm so surprised! If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered with the dramatic entrance. Would've saved you a lot of droids too."

G.G.: "You must know that you will not be leaving here in one piece."

J.B.: "Well that would be intimidating if- well, if you were even slightly intimidating!"

G.G.: "Are you mocking me?!?!"

J.B.: "I don't know. Am I?" (General Grievous attacks in a fit of rage at this point)

J.B.: "Force! LOL!" (Jedi Master Booth pins Grievous to the wall with the force)

G.G.: "Damned Jedi scum! (Grievous pulls out is blaster and starts firing at Jesse)

J.B.: "Lightsaber! LOL! (Jesse reflects Grievous' bolts away from him using his lightsaber)

Dak Oolron, Darth Lurker and Thuro like this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anyone can use a saber. gg was great. he showed a callous disregard for the jedi and liked using their own weapons against them.

12. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I think only jedi's that wield blue light sabers who trained as jedi guardians would face grievous using their light sabers rather than the force.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Personally I like the idea that not everyone can use a lightsabre effectively, let alone several at a time. It's a pity Kenobi didn't just pull a pistol and shoot Grievous in the heart at some earlier stage. Preferably before he ever appeared on screen.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Hence why Grievous is unique.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Like an Ewok who shoots force lightning! :p

Jesse Booth likes this.
  16. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    TCW shows the most effective way to deal with Grievous is actually without lightsabers. The clones used cable guns on him effectively a few times, and of course the gungans took him down with spears and elecro-balls.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Personally I like the idea that not everyone can use a lightsabre effectively, let alone several at a time. It's a pity Kenobi didn't just pull a pistol and shoot Grievous in the heart at some earlier stage. Preferably before he ever appeared on screen.
    ----------

you're quickly becoming one my favourite people here

to answer the original question:

he makes a great action figure, "lightsabers sold separately" etc etc.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    While it's accepted that a lightsaber is the signature weapon of the Jedi, I don't think it's ever suggested that only Jedi use them. If I remember correctly, the original ANH novelization says (when Ben first gives Luke Ani's 'saber) that it just takes someone of superior ability to use one, not necessarily that only the highly Force-sensitive can. (For fans of the Marvel comics, see the Baron Tagge stories.)

As for fighting Grevious, yes, you could just use a pure Force attack, assuming you have enough time to clear your mind and focus while he's coming at you like a cyborg buzzsaw. And, if you miss the first time, you may not get a second chance.

If you don't go with 'sabers, better to nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

thejeditraitor and Sarge like this.
  19. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    It was until the prequels. Only Luke, Obi-Wan and former Jedi Vader used them, and the Emperor described it as a, 'Jedi weapon'.

Then when the prequels came along, Lucas needed lightsaber duels so the Sith use them as well.

Thuro likes this.
  20. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Grievous was a terrible & unneeded addition to ROTS

Theo333 likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In concept art for ANH, we see stormtroopers using them.

And in the novel, Ben says:

"At one time they were widely used. Still are, in certain galactic quarters."

He also goes on to say:

"This was the formal weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. More skill than simple sight was required for its use. An elegant weapon. It was a symbol as well. Anyone can use a blaster or a fusioncutter—but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone a cut above the ordinary."

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't have a problem with non force users using lightsabers, since it's just a high tech sword. I would have a problem though, if a non force user started deflecting blaster fire like its easy.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm not sure why everyone tries to apply that philosophy to the PT when

1. Yoda had a revelation during the duel with Palpatine that all of his philosophies were wrong, and so he changed them to give Luke the advice we hear in the OT based on what he learned from his mistakes

2. Luke "uses the Force for attack" several times throughout the OT in pretty much the same manner as people do in the PT

24. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    The Clone Wars (and RotJ to a lesser extent) establishes that you need to use the Force to even put a lightsaber together in the first place.

They are Jedi weapons. Anakin realizes Gui-Gon is a Jedi by his laser sword.

25. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not sure why everyone tries to apply that philosophy to the PT

probably because Mace says the line "we're keepers of the peace, not soldiers"

. Luke "uses the Force for attack" several times throughout the OT in pretty much the same manner as people do in the PT

totally disagree with this statement, Luke uses his lightsaber just before he is about to be thrown in the sarlaac pit, after telling Jabba to surrender more than twice. The PT Jedi would have been straight in there with lightsabers when they reached Jabba's palace as evidence every time a lightsaber is activated in the PT Which, (imo) was more times than necessary.

kubricklynch, MOC Yak Face and Sarge like this.