main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Star Wars Saga Eps I-VI for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Could you provide an explanation in which way Lucas "tried to push Luke, Han and Leia aside or pervert their characters to be only tools"? Seriously? Maybe I've missed the newest version for which Lucas cut out most of the scenes with Luke/Han/Leia and replaced them with new Vader scenes or you only got this all wrong...

You don't have to feel bad for anyone, not for me at least. Perhaps, yet, we're a bit alike since I feel sorry for people who desperately cling to the past, trying to recreate and conservate that past forever. Luckily that's not the rule for mankind, otherwise we'd still be living in caves...

Your opinion is certainly yours, but I'd rather think with Episode VII it will be even more nonsensical to mess up an order which is perfectly fine.....

:oops:How enlightening, anectodal evidence again ... 1,428571428571429e-10 % of human population is definitely a good enough sample to determine what's "simply a better film" that "connects more with the audience" :rolleyes: Where is the correlation between a "better film" and "connection" with the audience, btw?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh, please. That's not why he did that. The fact is that as he went along developing the prequels, he saw that the story would be centered more around Anakin than Luke. That doesn't mean that he has issues with Luke, but that when looking at the six films, Anakin is the character who has the most going on with Luke coming in second. That's why he described it as two trilogies tied together as one experience. We follow Anakin for a while, then the first part of the story ends in ROTS. Then the second part begins with Luke and following him on his journey of self discovery, while we see Vader going through his whole ordeal. Then the stories start to converge in ROTJ, where Luke now knows what is going on and has taken it upon himself to save his father. The two stories reach their climax with Vader becoming Anakin and saving Luke, while Luke has resisted the pull of the dark side and become a Jedi Knight. Then you have the ending where we see Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda are reunited and watching the celebration, while we see the current generation of heroes in one last shot together as the film ends.

Abrams story, which came from Lucas, is a new chapter. Now it is about a new generation of heroes trying to deal with the fall out from all that's transpired following the Battle of Endor. Luke is still part of that story, but the main focus will be on the new trio of characters and at least one in particular. Think of it like "The Godfather". The first two films told the main story of the novel, but the third film tells another chapter. It isn't required to enjoy the other two films, but it doesn't hurt either.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Actually, if Abrams and Rian Johnson successfully tell the story about how the Republic is rebuilt, and at the end of IX the new government is successfully installed, I think the new trilogy will certainly be a part of the main storyline that 1-6 told.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, it is part of the main story. But what I was referring to is that there is one book, which is the story that Lucas told with the help of others, but it was largely the story that he wanted to tell. Then there's a second story which carries on where the first story ended in ROTJ. That doesn't mean that the second story isn't part of the lore, but it is a different storyline within the same universe. Like how the old EU was divided into multiple stories across thousands of years. From "Dawn Of The Jedi" to "Legacy". Part of that universe was about the Skywalker bloodline, but the other part was about other characters in other eras.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't you mean that George Lucas is? The announcement that SW is now the story of the Skywalkers was made before a director for Ep VII was even confirmed

6. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Lucas is irrelevant now.

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Considering that the ST is based on his story outline and he's still working as a creative consultant for Ep VII, I'd say that he's still relevant
    You know, that plus he created SW. That's a little relevant. A bit

8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I remember when this thread used to be about people who watched SW for the first time as 1-6. Sigh. Those were the days...

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Maybe someday it'll be about people who watch SW 1-9 for the first time ;)

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I was gong to post an old thread from like 4 years ago (hey I was green at the time and the website was quite addictive when I first started), there was a podcast about one guy who made one woman who was a star wars "virgin" watch the saga from one to six. It was really interesting, but unfortunately the link to the podcast broke :( (luckily I downloaded because I must have been busy that day). Anyway to cut a long story short, she loved the whole experience and ranked TPM her favourite with ANH a her least favourite, but overall she loved the whole story.

11. Phoenix267

Phoenix267 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    I remember watching A New Hope for the first time, as well re-watching The Phantom Menace last year. When The Phantom Menace was released I was invited to go; only hearing spoilers about Star Wars beforehand, and I enjoyed. But I forgot everything that happened in the movie. So, I got all six films, watch Episode 1 and Episode 4 then watched the remainder of the six Star Wars films. For me I loved Episodes 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Now, I don't hate Attack of the Clones. However, the story was just awful in my opinion. It felt rushed and could have been written much better. Still the battle scenes were awesome.

Characters like Qui Gon Jinn are awesome. For me he's one my favorite characters. He's down to earth but mythical, respectful, rash, serious and easy going, and wise through experience. I would have loved to see Count Dooku in Episode 1. They didn't have to explain that Dooku was Qui Gon Jinn's Jedi master. But show they had a very good relationship, and as a result of Jinn's death, turned him to the dark side. In Attack of the Clones it would be reveled he was Jinn's former Jedi Master. That would have been awesome!

12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I just saw all the films in ordr (1 to 6), the first time I've seen them in three years. I still love each film and love how the saga works.

One of the little things that I thought while watching it solves one of the "continuity mistakes" from both trilogies: if Luke was supposed to be hidden from his father on Tatooine, why was he called "Skywalker"?
    Well, what if Luke wasn't actually called Skywalker while he was on Tatooine? After all, his last name is never stated in the first half of the movie. Then, as he learns about his father, meets Kenobi and leaves Tatooine for good, he takes his fathers name and calls himself "Luke Skywalker" for the first time when presenting to Leia.

Jedi Princess and Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn like this.
  13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Skywalker is a common name in the GFFA

14. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    How do we know that? No other character is called Skywalker in the movies, and Vader seems to know "Skywalker" is his son in Empire.

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I've done that 3 times. Its awesome!

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I feel bad for your kids. They'll have to miss out on some of the best parts of the Saga because of your prejudice. Oh well. I hope they sneak a Prequel viewing in when you're not looking.

17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] No seriously, you crack me up

18. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Too bad parents feel it's necessary to force their beliefs onto their children instead of giving them advice and then letting them find their own path. This is done with everything from world view, religion, politics, and even what Star Wars films they can watch.8-}

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Because George said that in an interview

as you do for me xD

EternalHero and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Or, Vader wouldn't go to Tatooine because he has no reason to. And no one on Tatooine knows that Vader is Anakin.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014

That was actually considered. After taking off Darth Vader's helmet, Luke was going to put it on himself and take his place. The only reason that didn't happen is because George Lucas decided it was too dark for a movie for kids.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It was actually because the helmet was the wrong size for Mark Hamill's head.

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    LOL yes. My bad.
    What I meant was: "They'll have to miss out on THE best parts of the Saga because of your prejudice"
    Fixed.

24. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, because it's very logical that, having defeated the Emperor and the Dark Side, and redeemed his father, Luke would feel the strong urge to put on the mask to see how it looked on him... right?
    Come on, "the only reason that didn't happen" is... that it has no logic at all, it's only a cool cheap cliffhanger twist that comes out of nowhere. Kasdan only semi-jokingly suggested it in the story sessions and it was NEVER even taken seriously.

25. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    o_O