main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Defending Anakin and the Tusken

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by andresfelix, Aug 7, 2014.

1. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    Proof that the Tuskens are evil:
    1. They kidnapped an innocent woman who was doing nothing more than picking mushrooms off vaporators on her own property.
    2. They took her back to their encampment, where they strung her up to a post crucifixion-style.
    3. They took turns beating her with gaffi sticks, leaving her with broken bones and internal hemorrhaging.
    4. They did this, day in and day out, for a period of a month.
    5. A search party went after them, a search party of 30 people--the Tuskens killed 26 of those 30, and chopped Cliegg's leg off.

The Tusken Raiders were brutal savages and probably did the same to others. Anakin did everyone a favor by wiping them out.

2. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    1. Did all the Tuskens do that collectively so they all deserved to die? Even the dog and children?
    5. They could have been defending their territory. And in a life or death situation, would the search party have possibly killed the entire encampment like Anakin would do? In other words they would be justified in their violent response because the humans did eventually treat them brutally.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I'm gonna do everyone a favor by going back in time and wiping out our brutal savage ancestors.

By why bother going back in time? Kidnapping, torture, territorial war? Let's do everyone a favor and wipe ourselves out.

4. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I think I'll bring the old phrase two wrongs don't make a right into this. Yes, the actions of the Tuskens were deplorable. No, Anakin should not have unilaterally and indiscriminately killed them all. The correct thing to have done would have been to report the incident to the relevant authority.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh boy, it's been a long time since we had one of these debates:

You had me until your last point.

I think the horrific nature of what the Tuskens did to Shmi is often lost in this debate.

BUT...it still doesn't justify Anakin wiping out the entire camp. Even Anakin knew that. Not everyone there was guilty, and Anakin was not concerned with who was and who wasn't. He just went ape****.

And going by EU sources, he didn't really do the Mos Eisley/Anchorhead area any favors.

In Tatooine Ghost, the Tuskens continued to kidnap settlers and sacrifice them to the "angry ghost."

In Kenobi, the Tuskens were pretty spooked by Anakin but the Tusken/settler conflict was not solved either.

I'm not about to defend what the Tusken men did to Shmi. It was disgusting. And if I were on a jury trying Anakin, I would convict him for second-degree murder or manslaughter, not premeditated murder, given the circumstances.

But saying that Anakin "did everyone a favor" or that the entire race deserved to be wiped out is over the top.

6. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree with you that Anakin shouldn't have killed the Tuskens.

However, I don't think he had the option to report the incicent to the relevant authority. Tatooine is a lawless planet, there is no legal judicial system. It's law of the jungle, pure anarchy. Even if there was some kind of law, there is still no authority to enforce it. Law that can't be enfored is useless, think about "international law". There was no chance for Anakin to bring them to justice in a lawful way. Just like Jabba the Hutt couldn't ask "Tatooine police" to confiscate Han Solo's assets. It's a "system" where the stronger individual wins. The Tuskens were stronger than Shmi and her people, Anakin was stronger than the Tuskens. Han Solo was stronger than Greedo.

Of course, Anakin shouldn't have killed them from our moral system's POV.
    That said, for better or worse and emotions aside, he "only" followed the planet's barbarous "rules".

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, there really was no authority and no good options, because it was Tatooine.

Only bad options and really bad options, and he went with really bad.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "And not just the men. But the women and the children too."

Even Anakin knows he killed innocent beings, hence the differentiation. I'm not sure what's left to defend.

Not to mention that he's a Jedi.

9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In a perfect scenario, Anakin would retrieve his mother and defend himself against any Tusken aggression. The only thing is, the sight of his dying mother made him lose his mind; he was no longer acting in self-defense, but revenge and aggression (definitely not the Jedi way). While many were murderers, Lucas put in the 'women and children' part to make the distinction that Anakin was not justified in the massacre. We can understand his motivations, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It reminded me a little of the David Gemmell novel The Sword in The Storm, when the hero pretty much does the same thing - to the home village of the people who killed his wife. It was published a bit before AoTC as I recall.

And a point is made of how child-killing is never acceptable - and that those killings will haunt him forever.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I agree with SlashMan , even if the tuskens were murders, Anakin took revenge on the tuskens including women and children which is certainly not the Jedi way.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is one of the things Palpatine takes advantage of, when he's gotten Anakin to kill Dooku - comparing the killing of Dooku to the killing of the Tuskens:

"It's only natural - he cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge. It wasn't the first time, after all..."

Or, as the novel puts it "Have you ever thought that the Jedi way might not be the right way?"

Darth Maaliss likes this.
  13. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I disagree with you Anakin should kill the tuskens they are animals, they cant bring shmi back to life so why not kill them???
    If that was your mother would you just forgive them or slaughter them for what they did.

Remember everyone lives once, anakin can never speak to his mother again the person he loved and missed for all them years.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Why is no one allowed to hate the tuskens? I would defend the women and children but there is no reason to they all grow up to be vicious monsters.

1. They sacrifice each other to the sarlacc (their god in the EU)

2. They snipe innocent podracers

3. They kidnap Shmi for no apparent reasons and torture and do unspeakable things to her.

4.They attack Luke and 3-P0 for no reason.

5. countless other EU atrocities.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course people are allowed to blindly hate every single Tusken as if they all participated in Shmi's torture and murder.

Genocide has, historically, been a fantastic means of eliminating every member of a group when a few in the group do something monstrous. Genocide should be used more often.

White settlers in the US certainly did well to try to wipe out all Native Americans after a few settlers got scalped. Too bad they didn't try harder. I'm sure Native American kids grew up to be scalpers too.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Ok, I'll bite:

Even if that was true (which it isn't), what kind of logic is that? Are you implying that animals should be killed because of their nature?

Seriously? Ethics aside, does killing them bring Shmi back to life? No.

Neither. Who's even asking for forgiveness?

So...?

18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    *Bitting my tounge so hard its bleeding*

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hate leads to suffering, bro.

Do you even Star Wars?

Bor Mullet, V-2, Iron_lord and 8 others like this.
  20. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you, I don't understand why some people back up the tuskens for when they done nothing good but torture and kill innocents for no reason.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Bad acts don't justify equal bad acts. Mercy is powerful. What Anakin did isn't just.

22. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    Why do the majority seem to assume that the Tusken women are innocent? In some tribal cultures, torture of prisoners is specifically a female responsibility.

I'm never comfortable with Anakin's line, because a Jedi should know better than to assign people to different categories of compassion/worth/responsibility based on biology. Now, it's possible what Anakin meant was that the male Tuskans attacked him directly because in their culture it's their job to engage enemies and the females do not; therefore, he was drawing a distinction between those he killed in defence/combat and those he just attacked even if they weren't fighting him - still potentially problematic in terms of his ethical evaluation but fair enough - but still, the "women and children" line is not one I like. Not in reality and not from a Jedi.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The main warrior Tusken in that novel was a woman.

Regardless...the bottom line is that Anakin did not only kill the Tuskens responsible for his mother's death. And he knew he didn't.

Iron_lord and Darth Maaliss like this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Anakin hates sand, it gets everywhere.

Thuro, Messi and Lord Chazza like this.
  25. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    So its okay for the tuskens to kill everyone else on Tatooine. But not for the tatooine settlers or hell even the native jawas to kill tuskens? In addition to them murdering and torturing Anakins mother, people on tatooine generally despise the tuskens anyways (RAIDERS RAIDERS RAIDERS.) They murder, pilage, salvage, and possibly do something inappropriate to mention on this site to female tatooine settlers. (But that's a discussion for another time) I never see anyone crying for Jango, jabbas henchmen, the sepratist leaders, or the innocent imperial personel on both death stars... so yea I'm not crying for these nasty salvages or their women and children.