main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i scrolled down to the video of BHL, lol'd and closed the page, sated

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    No that would be atrocious and anyone who would do such a thing should be eliminated with extreme prejudice by a cruise missile or black ops team blindfolding them and putting a bullet in the back of their head before dumping them in a shallow grave. It doesn't matter what gods or beliefs they have, no one has the right to force someone to accept a belief they do not choose freely.
    I don't know why you think I would somehow be happy with such actions. It's disgusting and appalling no matter who does it.

As to why people are noticing it more now... there is a difference between persecution and genocide.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol he says with no sense of irony.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, and technically tomatoes are fruits. Yes, any support of something or someone is by definition to prop it up, but in general when one uses the expression of propping up dictatorships, the negative connotation of helping a tyrant against his own people is implied. In this case, it would be helping said dictatorship deal with an external threat that is bothering ordinary people as much as itself.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Except Malaki is a tyrant oppressing his own people: sunni iraqis.

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Are you saying that the corrupt government in Baghdad is as bad as the IS, and that it makes no difference as a whole who is in charge, only the color (figuratively) of the people oppressed? Because it seems like that's what you're arguing.

GenAntilles likes this.
  7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Nope. I'm all for coexisting with all people, when some people refuse to coexist peacefully you are unfortunately with one option. If you have a better idea please share it.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I know all about your desire for disproportionate revenge, GenAntilles. That's why I laughed at you.

The better idea is the way we actually do things.

Point Given likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Disproportionate? Wow your idea of what is proportional use of force must be insane. Like do they have to kill a few billion before launching a missile a group of them is equal?

So you propose to stop ISIS without using military means... or swap out surgical missile strikes or black ops raids for more mass bombings or other messier means?

We can't do anything. Only suggesting what those with the power should do to stop it.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    okay but what if they actually WERE devil worshippers? what then?

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We're not doing the Genocide Olympics; sorry to disappoint you. You know full well I'm not saying that Malaki is as bad as ISIS and to ask that is a cowardly way of diverting attention from the fact that your argument is all over the place and backed by incorrect thinking.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Let them live in peace and treat them with respect and love as you would treat anyone else? Like any decent human being should do?

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What if they were Communist Devil Worshipers?

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Why would that matter?

15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    My argument is all over the place? All I'm saying is that for once, you can get involved in something for the right reason: preventing a possible genocide.

GenAntilles likes this.
  16. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
  17. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999

If only our involvement indicated we were serious about preventing the genocide. The way you prevent this particular possible genocide is not a few pinprick strikes. The Islamic State has metastasized to about 20,000 fighters, which is about two divisions worth of troops. This is a terrorist group that is trying to carve out its own state and a safe haven for multiple terrorist organizations. At this point, the Islamic State is absorbing al-Qaeda.

These pinprick strikes are not going to do the job. If we are serious about stopping the genocide, then we need to be serious about defeating the Islamic State. It's going to take a substantial air campaign, and it will probably take boots on the ground (Special Operations forces at a minimum - but more likely the 82nd Airborne as well) as well to roll them back, at least in Iraq.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I don't think crippling the Islamic State militarily would be a problem for the US. However, I think we should be more concerned about what happens afterward---what's our ultimate objective with the intervention?

The fact that ISIS was able to take so much territory so quickly is a symptom of the dysfunctional Iraqi government and increasing sectarian tensions in the region as a whole. Until those issues are "fixed", there will be continued instability and the potential for more ISIS-like actors to rise to power.

Problem is, those aren't things that America can "fix". Or, one might argue, those aren't things that America should "fix"...

Valairy Scot and Point Given like this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

oh hey look someone made a gif of senate-posting

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How do you come to this conclusion? It seems to me that they logically only want to commit genocide against certain groups. So if we can keep them from penetrating into the area where those groups are, they can't really carry out a genocide. That's a much smaller task than trying to serve up a permanent military defeat to the group that decisively obliterates them.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Peter Mansoor on KQED's Forum radio show this morning:

"the US public will just have to get used to the idea that we need to militarily intervene in Iraq"

"no one besides nutjob leftists protest US bombings in these Arab countries"

I didn't know NPR had Mr44 on.

23. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I make the rounds.

Which opinion is mine? The "get used to the idea we need the military in Iraq" one or the "nutjob leftist protestors?"

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Man it's like there's a bat signal anytime anyone says your name. Also both opinions.

EDIT: He just said the 2003 Iraq war was a mistake. Guess he's not you after all. false alarm, folks.

EDIT 2: Now he's saying Iraq wasn't a creation after WW1. What is this guy.

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I thought that Al-Nusra was at war with the Islamic state.

Always glad to help. I think that so far, that is my favorite conspiracy theory of the year. I also recent heard the "Michelle Obama is a transsexual" one, and while amusing, it's not nearly as good as this.