main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, despite getting interrupted midway and having to stop and restart, I finished the first episode.

Having had a couple of hours to get over the initial "Huh?" though, I found the second half slightly better, and probably will give the next couple a go before I make my mind up. I'm not a fan of "real life" shows in general (I make an exception for Doctor Who, but even that I prefer the alien planet episodes by far), but there is something... mildly curious about the idea, so I'll see what it's like.

My principle complaint at the moment is that it feels more like a show about one woman and her lost son, and... I just have no interest in real life dramas, which is what the first episode seemed more focused on. I wanted magic and potions and goblins and all that stuff.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I hear you completely. The first few episodes are about her and the damn kid, which is why I quit halfway through the first season. When I came back, the second half proved to be irresistible as it moved away from those two characters and into the stuff we all wanted to see in the first place.

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, that's good to hear then. My first impression was pretty much that it was reminding me more of Desperate Housewives than Grimms' Fairytales. :p

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So...

A member on another forum went to see Bay's TMNT. He said it sucked a lot of Ewok ass and listed off all the reasons why, and put the entire movie in spoiler tags, which I found unnecessary if the movie sucks that much.

I never had any plans to see it, as the trailers just left me facepalming, groaning in irritation, and giving "WAT" glares to anyone who even showed the slightest interest in it.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I don't even want to see it, because I don't see how those things are the TMNT I grew up loving.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh yeah, GotG trailers:

I'm interested in Interstellar. Really interested. So says a woman who likes Nolan Batman better than Burton Batman.

TMNT: I had no idea what I was looking at, the cartoon was after my time, but I wasn't impressed.

The Hobbit looks awesome.

The rest of the trailers were apparently so un memorable that I've already forgotten them.

Kylun likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I never remember most trailers, really. They're all so formulaic. The best they usually do is manage to make me aware of a movie.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If it doesn't start with this commercial:

It's not TMNT.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Apparently it's not even "So Bad it's Good" or even that bad. From the reviews I have seen, it falls into the "So okay it's Mediocre" bland zone.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Just finished Episode 2 and, rather unexpectedly, the setting is actually growing on me-- even the kid and his mother.

I'm enjoying that it's actually not the real world (at least, so far...) as I haven't seen any actual "connection" to the real world (they mention Boston, but whatever), as it seems more like it's just this self-contained town, which I didn't realise in the first episode, and actually don't mind quite so much.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In that case then, you have nothing to worry about!

Speaking of which, I have some time to sneak in an ep before this party I have to go to...

13. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    But... but... practically every film, tv show and game that has had fairy tales a topic in the last decade has been a 'darker and grittier' retelling. The original fairly tales themselves tend to be pretty damn grimm. It's not as if its an original concept.

Frankly, at this point I would love some classic Disney style takes on some of the lesser told tales.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like fairy tales.

*ducks*

Most of the classic ones either objectify women or are creepy as hell. Or both.

Newer Disney movies are good because they get away from some of that.

Never watched Once Upon a Time, never really had an interest, although I'm pretty sure it's popped up in my Netflix suggestions.

GrandAdmiralJello and Vthuil like this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I like classic Disney movies... D:

And a Pokeshaming meme on my junk blog just broke 200 notes. I wish my sketch cards and paintings would get that kind of attention. You know, stuff that I put actual effort into.

Thuro and Gamiel like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I agree a_g. My favorite Disney films -- aside from the one everybody knows -- are the Renaussance ones where they got rid of the pervasive sexism. Frankly, the old ones are distressfully boring. I understand that they were revolutionary for the time, but films like a Snow White just feel so damn retrograde.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I like Snow White because I'm a film historian at heart and love seeing the first feature-length cartoon and imagine the story meetings with Walt where he first said "We're making a movie". I also like the Fleischer brothers' version of Gulliver's Travels, the second feature length American animated feature ever made, for the same reason.

But then again, you know who thought Snow White was the best film of all time? Hitler. He even (purportedly) drew fan art.

Gamiel, Revanfan1 and Starkeiller like this.
  18. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't buy it.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I only like one of them... though given that it is from 85, it might not be counted as one of the classics.

Gamiel and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So I made it to Episode 5 last night.

You were definitely right about how after the first couple of episodes, it started to get a lot more focused on the original fairytale world side of things. Oh, but Rumpelstilkskin is vile, utterly, utterly vile-- so, of course, I love him!

I'm still torn on whether I genuinely enjoy the show or not, but will try and get through the first season. I got a little uneasy that the girl's able to leave the town-- I hope that doesn't happen regularly-- as I preferred the "disconnect" of imagining it just looks like our world, but in reality is more of a little pocket dimension, so... I'll wait and see where that conflict goes.

Apart from that, the only main complaint I have really is the acting, which isn't stellar from some of them. The main characters all seem fairly decent, but I found Cinderella a bit lame, for example. It wasn't a deal breaker though, just a minor disappointment that they aren't all as interesting as Mr Gold.

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So it's faithful to the source material then.

I have seen some clips of the show when it has happened to be on TV but I haven't been interested enough to track down the first episodes. But I know that Mr Widmore from Lost is in it, who does he play?

22. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    These could be forgeries (Hitler's art does not sell too cheap), but Hitler would certainly have appreciated Snow White, which is quite an operatic film.

That probably means Snow White is evil, huh? Guilt by association, all art is evil!

TrakNar and Zorrixor like this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You know what else is evil? Oxygen. Hitler breathed that. Hitler.
    I've never seen Lost so don't know who the actor is I'm afraid. (I did try Google, but found there's more than one actor listed for Widmore?)

Rogue Five likes this.
  24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I guess it's about Alan Dale? Who's apparently playing "King George"?

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Screw that, did you know that Hitler existed? Everything is Nazi, destroy everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.