main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They can be the idiots who tried to infantry charge at an AT-AT :p

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, they'll be in the speeders, but not Luke.

I do remember back in WEG game the GM got quite annoyed that we fired our last concussion missile from our YT2400 at an AT-AT. Turns out AT-AT + starship weaponry = incompatible.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Seriously, no Battle of Liinade III maneuvers?

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nah, we were privateers for the NR. But I think the GM planned we'd join and lead ground forces in trying to capture one - there's a great and iconic image in the WEG books of a silhouetted figure in a trenchcoat leaping atop an ATAT, rifle held above his head. That inspired him, I think, so when my Brash Pilot reminded everyone of the torpedo we boarded our ship and took the AT-AT down.

Incidentally the FFG system is much better for dealing with stuff for when the PCs go off the reservation like that.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey guys, just a little way into the latest Order 66 Podcast and they are talking about canon and how to deal with it in campaigns. They have Zoe Robinson from FFG as a guest to the discussion. Recommend checking this one out.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  7. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    AT-PT! (More or less.)

Rogue_Follower and Zorrixor like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The text does mention it:

For example, the Hunchback construction strider is a lightweight utility walker designed for construction and civil engineering work. Similar to the Republic’s AT-PT, the Hunchback is a bipedal walker with a slab-sided rectangular command pod perched atop a pair of powerful reverse-articulated legs. The Hunchback arm’s carry a wide array of tools such as plasma cutters, saws, welders, drills, compressed air guns, and small, dextrous manipulators for fine work.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Why, is that a HWK that I spy?

I love you, FFG.

Zorrixor, Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'd be keen to see the game stats. The HWK is a pretty weak ship in the game, and exists purely as a support ship (as Moldy Crow and with Kyle, your output is basically sharing focus tokens to other ships, preferably ones with better attack values) that can also support a turret.

What does that mean for the RPG? I'd say the HWK will serve as a highly moddable (hardpoints, in game speak) small freighter that suits, say, a team of infiltrator, commando, saboteur etc. Which suits me just fine... :D

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Come on, give it up for players just wanting it for the "cool" factor... :p

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I was more or less saying that :p

"I'm a commando... um.... party's duty exceeds 100, can has plz HWK?"

blackmyron likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    you need it if you are running a rpg-canon version of the death star plan heist

Riv_Shiel and Ender Sai like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I've still yet to trudge down to a store to page through AoR, though it turns out that I know someone who had the beta rulebook. As I expected, there are only like 2 pages on the Empire (are there more in the final version, or is it just as brief?). I wasn't much inclined to read it since it's mostly game mechanics mumbo-jumbo, but I did read those pages at least... and came across a gem.

The section on Imperial advisors reads:
    "Extremely powerful and influential bureaucrats, there have historically been roughly one hundred or so Imperial advisors at a time, each asked not only with overseeing details of the Empire's administration, but also conducting covert surveillance on the home systems of other advisors and high-ranking Imperial officials."

Rather short for flavor text, as seems to be the norm in this beta version (again: is there more in the final version?) but it actually adds something that the EU never exactly pinned down: the number of Imperial advisors. Now we know!

Also, their equipment list amused me: "Equipment: Lavish robes, extensive credentials, personal staff."

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, FFG has been busy. They have just announced Star Wars: Armada, a tactical fleet battle game.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    If this is a pre-boxed game with limited expansions, I'm in. I can't afford the minis line, paying for RPG books every month like I am.

17. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Wow, FFG isn't karking around. ^:)^ This type of game is way too involved for my attention span, but this level of detail in the mechanics speaks volumes about their commitment to the product that's apparent in the fluff and the art, which I do care about.

Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005

Where is that Victory-class keeping the Imperial-class imprisoned? How does an EU ship get released first before its more familiar cousin? :eek:

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ooh, Star Destroyer model, and a Victory-clas at that. Too bad I'm not quite into collecting models like that (and I mainly only buy for the "fluff" lore information), but still, very tempted. Wonder how long until they add in a Mon Calamari Star Cruiser. It probably helps that a Victory doesn't outgun Rebel ships as much as an Impstar would.

I'm suddenly reminded of an old Star Trek Armada game. That was fun back in the day, but guess every space navy setting will use the word armada sooner or later.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Very cool, but call me when the Mon Cal cruisers are released. :p

--Adm. Nick

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, hush. It's a freaking VSD. We've gotten your lumpy pickle ships in the films -- this is EU we're talking!

22. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Can't wait for this. I'm going to get it just for the ships.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ugh, fine. But if we can only celebrate LEU ships, then they better make an MC40 light cruiser or and MC80B heavy cruiser!

--Adm. Nick

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This may not be the Rebels thread, but I suddenly so want to see some VSDs in Rebels.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, crap. I'm only now starting to catch up on X-Wing releases, and they add a Capship game? FFG and GW are money vampires I say!