main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Grymestone, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Pretty sure Yavin yielded the best saber crystals in the game though?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Quite possible; I only bothered with it on my first playthrough.

3. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

The Mantle of the Force and the Heart of the Guardian are the best saber crystals in the game; on top of having some nice effects of their own they shake up the properties of the other crystals in the saber. Right now I have the Mantle installed in the right saber with the Solari crystal and an opila crystal (Damage 6-27, +2-12 vs. Dark Side, Critical Threat 19-20x2 +2-12, +6 Attack); the Heart is installed in the left saber with a sigil crystal and an opila crystal (Damage 7-31, Critical Threat 19-20x2 +2-12, +6 Attack). I have Dominator gauntlets (+5 STR) and a CNS strength enhancer (+2 STR) equipped. Right now with all my base stats and feats that gives me a damage of 15-36 with my right saber and 16-40 with my left, with an attack of 30 in both. Let me just say that the results of a Jedi Guardian with that kind of punch are nothing short of devastating. Who needs Sneak Attack when you're killing most opponents in one strike?

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is that factoring in a -6/-10 to hit for offhand under 3.0 D&D rules?

(Which is the basis of WOTC's 2nd ED d20 SWRPG, which is the basis for KOTOR)

I can't remember if dual fighting feats are available, it's been >10 years since I last played, but worth considering.

5. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    My character has the Master Two-Weapon Fighting feat, which drops that penalty to -2/-2 unless using a "balanced" weapon such as a short lightsaber or vibroblade in the off hand, in which case the penalty drops to 0 for the main hand and -2 for the off hand only. I judged the extra damage of having a second full-size saber was worth a -2 penalty to my main hand's attacks.

Just took down Malak to end the game; I got taken down to 50% health the one time he caught up to me while I was trying to destroy the stasis pods. In return I took out his health and forced him to drain another pod, which bought me enough time to heal up to about 75-80%, run away, and take out the last two pods. I'd say he took my health down to about 40% in the last fight, but I took his down faster and that was the end of that. I had Master Force Speed active, opened up with a Master Critical Strike, and then just kept unloading Master Flurry until he dropped.

6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I feel rather beguiled by Bioware. They have bereft me of those crystals because they were made for the PC. :(

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

As well they should; console gamers are inferior and should be reminded of this constantly.

Zer0 and Evil_King_Wiggins like this.
  8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Belittling console gamers and using demeaning rhetoric is not the answer. I understand that PC gamers get longevity, but it comes at a price. For us console gamers the security of at least five years and consistent quality games is best for our budget. I would opt for PC if I had the money to modify mine on a frequent basis.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You took me seriously. Mistake.

10. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Actually Yavin Station was on the X-Box version as DLC (I believe). But that was back when the original Live was up, so if you didn't get it back then...well, you're stuck with the PC version.

Which I really need to get now that I know the Station is on it :p

11. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    There are a few other toys on Yavin Station that are nice, but not essential. There's also a line of Baragwin weapons (heavy repeater, light repeater, ion rifle, and disruptor rifle, vibrosword) that are the outstanding best in their classes and have upgrade slots, along with some nice medium and light armors that work well for Canderous, Carth, and Mission (heavy and light exoskeleton, Baragwin Shadow Armor). Yavin Station also sells the strongest droid armor in the game (defense of 13, which makes HK-47 or T3 pretty resilient in a scrap) as well as infinite-use versions of the base-level droid shield, flamethrower, shield disruptor, and stun ray.

There are also some useful non-combat goodies. My personal favorites are the Advanced Agent Interface (+7 to Awareness, Computer Use, Demolitions, Repair, and Security) and a similarly overpowered droid interface. The former turned my PC into a veritable MacGyver on Lehon.

However, the most useful thing? Suvam Tan pays the most for anything you sell back to him. He'll buy computer spikes (which, with a lot of patience, you get get T3 to make over a hundred of) for about 65 credits a pop. If you hit up his shop a few times (remember though, on the fourth visit you'll have to fight a bunch of Trandoshans who can mudstomp you even at pretty high levels), you will have a lot of credits over the course of the game. Tan also restocks between visits, although he also adds items and his best stuff isn't available until after you fight the Trandoshans.

VictoryClassWoman and Kato Sai like this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    KOTOR II question: I'd like to play the game again after a looong time, and I've heard that there is a restored content mode that improves the game a lot. Where can I find the mod?

13. Darth Vesta

Darth Vesta Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2014
    You can find the mod in several places such as Mod DB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

spicer likes this.
  14. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I need to give these one last playthrough as a student, but I want to actually bother learning more about the mechanics beyond 'this has a high damage number, let's use this' and just dumping points into charisma and wisdom.

On my last playthrough I got away from the terrible habit of just spamming force lightning at everything so, you know, baby steps.

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

Thanks!