main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I'll Come With You

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThreadSketch, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    [Preface removed.]

2. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
  3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Ohhh. Oh this one's going to hurt, I think. :( Fabulously evocative, though. Looking forward to it.

4. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    The pain isn't permanent, that much I can assure you, although there's generous amounts of it on the way. Overall, though, this fic is not meant to be dark. Serious, cerebral, poignant - yes. But also funny, quirky, and quietly meandering.

5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great beginning, looking forward to more!

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Loving the title and the premise and the promised blend of poignant, quirky, snarky, and mushy. LOL This already has a superb heart-tugging feel. =D= Putting this on 'watch.' @};- [:D]

7. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I like well-writed angst.Tag me in please!

8. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, the title was an easy choice. :) Zahn himself made it a recurring thing between them, and I was basically looking for an excuse to one day write a L/M fic that would let me use it, lol.

One minor thing I wanted to establish in this chapter was the fact that, because Mara is unconscious, Child of Winds doesn't receive her suggested adult name for him, Friend of Jedi. She's the one who proposed it for him; the idea didn't occur to Luke. It's a very small thing in the scope of events, but it's something that would have meant a lot to the young Qom Qae, and he's now going to miss out on that.

Thanks to everyone who's come aboard so far, and I hope y'all enjoy the ride!

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice start. I look forward to reading more.

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [face_blush]

I literally owe it all to you, lol. Thanks again!

11. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    aaah! Your icon! Sqweee!^_^))

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Interesting - it's been a while since I've read VOTF so don't remember a lot of the Qom Que subplots, but I did enjoy seeing them here.

13. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, this was a retread of Luke and Mara's final scenes on Nirauan from the novel. When they finally come out of the caves and encounter their flying buddies one last time, Mara speaks up to Hunter of Winds and tells him that Child of Winds has gone through a lot with them and deserves to have an adult name, and she suggests "Friend of Jedi."

This isn't the only thing Luke doesn't think of because of this change in their situation - FF.N author Cassandra Spayke has a post-VotF fic that incorporates Comra, one of Talon Karrde's sector relay bases from Survivor's Quest, as a pit-stop for Luke and Mara on their way back to Coruscant. I also have Luke not realizing that this base is available to him too, and instead automatically thinking of a NR world for him to get help on, because he's too preoccupied with Mara's condition. I figured nobody would really get that kind of a non-reference, lol, but in case anyone would raise the question, that's my explanation for it.

JadeLotus likes this.
  14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    This is a very interesting beginning and I am excited to see where you take it from here! I'll have my Brave Hat on hold, just in case. ;)

15. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Hehehehe. :p

[​IMG]

16. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I like your start and want to come along for the ride. Please tag me in.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Angst, mush, a dash of danger...I'm in. Looking forward to more!

18. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    All aboard the Fic Train, whoo-whoo! [face_dancing]

Instead of jumping ahead immediately, I'm working on adding a little more material to Chapter 1; as easy as it is to just focus on the main characters I'm comfortable with, I don't want to ignore secondary characters who are very significant (to Mara in particular). Reviewing SotP and VotF as research for this fic has reminded me of how well Zahn rounded out his corner of the EU with his ensemble casts.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  19. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [Story removed.]

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku and Gemma like this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb. I am very glad you added this segment. Great characterizations and reactions from each. =D= =D= The gravity and uncertainty of Mara's prognosis also shines through clearly. [face_nail_biting]

Gemma likes this.
  21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Thanks. [face_peace] I'm trying to make this at least somewhat of an ensemble fic instead of just sticking with a straight L/M focus, especially now that I've accidentally come across all of my old fic material (!!!) this past week and seen that I used to be much more comfortable at including a larger cast of characters.

These two guys aren't exactly buddies and they're never quite meant to have that sort of relationship, but I did want to show that their rapport would get a little more solidarity. Three years later EU-wise Karrde is referring to them as "Luke and Mara." (Well, they're married by then so it kinda had to happen eventually, lol.) I guess the EU sort of glossed over the fact that Mara quit Karrde's organization and he was apparently okay with it (because YAY Shada!, heh), but I read one interesting little fic that portrayed Karrde as a little resentful over the fact that Luke took her away to the Jedi side. I thought that was pretty realistic considering that, honorable as he is, Karrde's primary interests are for his business, period. He's a practical guy. He lost Ghent to the New Republic too, so having to give up two of his best employees had to have hurt.

Gemma likes this.
  22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Everything you ever wanted and never expected to get, isn't it?” Well, if that isn't a real kick in the gut. Poor Luke. Poor Mara. I enjoyed Luke's conversation with Karrde, and love the cover art!!

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Karrde is an information broker...he noticed Luke is being overly clingy around Mara. Nice update!

Gemma likes this.
  24. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, sooooo much unintentional double-meaning in that line. :p Of course, Karrde's referring to the unbelievable fact that the Galactic Civil War is finally officially over and how this has to be both crazy and such a relief at the same time - which it is. But yes, Luke has way more than that going on upstairs and Karrde has no idea.

Glad you like the art - in case anyone wonders, that happens to be Jessica Chastain standing in for Mara. Her ambiguous demeanor in that shot appealed to me, and I also dug the black and white. It's stark and doesn't draw attention to the trope of Mara's red hair or green eyes, even though Jessica is often a redhead. I happened to have a high-res photo of Mark from ROTJ that I thought went well with it, and...voila. It's a picture that's supposed to leave you wondering what's going to happen to them - something not necessarily terrible, but not easy either.

Gemma likes this.
  25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Nope, nothing gets by him, lol. But their experience with the Force bond and Luke proposing to her (and Mara actually accepting it) is something he'd never suspect in a million years, heh. He does suspect something happened between them, but not to that extent. He also thinks some of it is due to Luke blaming himself for failing to save Mara from danger, so he's willing to not read too much into his unusual behavior.

Head!canon Alert: Karrde's never really been around to see Mara's interactions with Luke over the years; he only gets to pick up bits and clues from Mara's remarks or reactions. Judging by how Luke gets a rise out of her all the time that she doesn't get from anyone else, he definitely feels there's some kind of significant relationship between them, but he's never entertained the notion that they'd actually hook up at some point. He understands how complex and troubled Mara is, how vastly different Luke is from her, and despite the old adage that opposites attract, this isn't a great formula for two people to get together. They both have a ton of issues. As perceptive and shrewd as Karrde is, as far as he's concerned, he wouldn't picture them becoming a couple until he sees it actually happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.