main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The (Fourth?) Armenian-Azerbaijan War

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So, after decades of conflict and ceasefires, Vivec and Ender Armenia and Azerbaijan are back at it again.

Last week, there some more fighting in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, which both countries claim and have fought each other over before.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/nagorno-karabakh-clashes-azerbaijan-armenia

Both sides accuse each other of responsibility for that battle.

Then today the President of Azerbaijan took to twitter launching a 60 tweet tirade against Armenia, stating that the countries were now at war.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/azerbaijan-president-threatens-war-armenia-twitter

https://twitter.com/presidentaz

Russia came down on Armenia's side in the last one (even though the USSR was on Azerbaijan's side). So the west will most likely back Azerbaijan here. We'll see how this escalates.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    What's the old cliche, the third time's the charm? :p

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Those aren't real countries, you're making that up. What next Mordor and Lothlorien fighting each other?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Hey, Armenia has been a real country since 1990! Well, officially since 1991, but still!

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    They can't settle it like men and duke it out here?

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Seriously, though Israel operates a secret not so secret airbase in Azerbaijan, and not too long ago signed an almost 2 billion dollar arms deal with the government....

It's pretty clear which side will go where. Because if Israel signed a 2 billion dollar deal with the Azerbaijani government, it just means it's selling equipment ultimately provided by the US.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i still dont understand any of this shizz. one of the most important things i learned in my turkey anthropology/history class last semester is that the post-ottoman states are pretty much the most confusing place on earth.

all i know is that nagorno-karabakh republic is a defacto enclave microstate in azerbaijian and that's pretty dope

also i dont understand why america would be supporting azerbaijian against armenia as Mr44 surmises, as i was given to understand that armenia is an ally of the US and pretty much the most TEAM AMERICA **** YEAH place on earth. like dont they have a statue in honor of the time george w bush visited them or did i make that up?

i also remember the economist poll of nations in 2008 where armenia was like the only country on earth where mccain would beat obama

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Rogue, they're in the Caucuses, not the Balkans. That's the other side of the Black Sea.

Anyway, I hope Putin steps in and annexes a few things in order to solve this.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Technically they're not in the Balkans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(ah, beaten to it by Guy)

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i noticed that and edited lol

i meant "anything that used to be the ottoman empire", not just "the balkans"

would that be "ottoman successor states"? or is turkey the only technical ottoman successor state? i think that's probably a philosophical matter

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's more just those areas being a crossroads of cultures and it's not attributable to the Ottoman Empire in particular. I mean, a lot of the ethnicities predate Ottoman conquest. Might as well say "anything that used to be the Roman or Sassanid Empire."

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i suppose. im just trying to find a suitably encompassing term

fun story, more or less unrelated story: we had a crazy azeri poet dude in our class (a "non-traditional" student, aka he was probably in his late 40s early 50s) who had been in the american military and all other sorts of crazy stuff in his day, and he would interject these long and mostly incomprehensible (for the students, anyways, all of whom were either american or middle-eastern in origin, tho apparently just disagreeable for the professor, who is a turkish national) rants about the finer points of ethnic tensions in the region or how this or that scholar or turkish man of letters is a douchebag/plagiarist/dangerous. his first diatribe was probably the one that students in the class had the most familiarity with, when he took one of our texts (the one we used for early republic, ottoman, & pre-ottoman history) to task for "uncritical acceptance of armenian 'genocide' thesis", at which point the prof just sort of slump his shoulders like "its gonna be a long semester..."

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So it's all Ardashir's fault?

Point Given likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    also, while armenia is also pretty america **** yeah, i was apparently confusing them with albania at least partially, as it is albania that has a george w bush statue, lol

[​IMG]

i suck today

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Armenia retains close ties with Russia, while the government of Azerbaijan is very oriented towards the US and the West, which is why Iran counter-intuitively has a sour relationship with Azerbaijan and cozies up to Armenia. One would normally think Azerbaijan, a fellow Shiite nation, would be the most attractive for the Iranian regime to gravitate towards.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, Armenia falls pretty heavily under the Russian sphere of influence. We'd be more likely to support the Azeris.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So the conflict that still gets zero coverage on American news has actually heated up, with over 30 soldiers killed in clashes between Azeri and Armenian forces in one day. This is the worst fighting in years, and it's between soldiers of both countries in an undeclared war.

Any thoughts? If war is declared, Armenia falls under the CSTO and would get Russian help.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah I was just reading about this on another site. So sad. I hope it ends soon and with as little bloodshed as possible. Hopefully the Russians don't turn this into another proxy war.

Abadacus likes this.
  19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    What a beautiful place, what beautiful people, and what an ugly mess ****ing it all up.
    Actually, that's pretty much the whole world, forever, so forget I said anything.

My heart goes out to everyone involved, and I hope this takes something other than the sadly expected course.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    They should both stop this nonsense, tear up the treaties of Gulistan and Turkmenchay and rejoin the glorious umbrella of the Empire of Persia.

#PersianEnderSai

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The important question is how will this affect this year's Eurovision?

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If Azerbaijan wins, does Tunick have to change his name to Azerbai?

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    All the Kardashians should have to fight in it.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Juliet316 and Lord Vivec like this.