main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Raise Hell, Praise Dale - NASCAR/North American Racing Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    30 years after Richard Petty's last win.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cousin Carl will be leaving Roush Fenway at the end of this season, widely believed he's headed to Gibbs, who is adding a fourth car. Hamlin, Kenseth, Edwards, Kyle Busch - pick your poison from a garage that will rival the Hendrick team. Edwards sponsor rumored to be Monster, who works with Kurt Busch at the Nationwide level.

Roush moving to a 3-car garage, the young and great Trevor Bayne will be getting a full-time Cup ride alongside teammates Greg Biffle and Stenhouse.

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ty Dillon also got his first NNS win yesterday.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    24 with his first big-time win since Darlington in 2007. Good for him, driving superbly this season.

Won his first Brickyard 20 years ago. I was 9. Wow.

[​IMG]

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    5th Win on the oval variation of the track. Most overall for that. Tied with Michael Shumacher who got his wins on the road course.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So there are some really disturbing reports coming down around Twitter and other media outlets regarding actions taken by Tony Stewart this evening in a small-track race.

Edit: It seems that there has now been confirmation that the young driver that Stewart struck has died - Kevin Ward, a young kid. The disturbing part is that there are conflicting reports that say that it was completely intentional- after Ward exited his car to walk towards Stewart's car, some say Stewart gunned his engines into Ward.

I hope that is not true. Regardless, terrible news.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm hoping it's not true either. Stewart has a bit of a temper, but I can't see him as somebody who would deliberately run down another competitor with his car. Either way it's just tragic that a 20 year old died this young.

Edit: I just watched the video ESPN showed (and I'm probably not going back to sleep again for several hours; at least not without nightmares), and... it doesn't seem like Stewart deliberately speeded up, more like he was going the same speed as all the other cars and Ward was hit on the edge of the car. It seemed like Stewart was going the same speed as all the other cars and Ward was deliberately trying to make his way towards Stewart's car while the cars were still running at I guess, top speed? It's hard to tell if the caution flag had been thrown at that point or not due to where everything took place in the video. Irregardless of whether Stewart was deliberately gunning or not, it would not surprise me if Ward was killed instantly, given the speed of the cars.

Again, it doesn't look like Stewart was intentionally hitting Ward, but all the cars were going roughly the same speed at that point, so it's hard to tell.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Didn't look intentional. Let this be a lesson to all other jackasses who jump out of a car to confront others. Save it for post race when it can be mic'd better. :p

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Force Smuggler - are you familiar with this track or the deceased driver?

Deadspin has the video, reading the description is enough my make my stomach clench up. No idea why ESPN would EVER have shown that to viewers.

Per Zip, "business as usual" for Stewart-Haas today at the Glen, all drivers running.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably because no blood or guts were showing nor body parts were flying off. Still pretty gruesome without seeing blood or body parts.

11. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I watched the video which is still on YouTube and it seemed that Tony Stewart did not exactly try to avoid Ward, but also that Ward was intentionally walking towards Stewart's car when his tire hit Ward thus hurling him around 50 feet or so and killing him.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Stewart's not racing at Watkins Glen afterall.

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    He hit the gas, that is not being safe. Nor was getting out of the car and walking around a race track.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Reagan Smith in the 14.
    heels1785 Can't say I'm that familiar with Kevin, that track or dirt track racing in general.
    Saw the video and that was pretty disturbing. The wreck the lap before looked like there was no contact and Kevin just hit the wall. Could be wrong though.
    He should never have gotten out of the car. He almost got hit 2-3 times before he got hit by Stewart. Hard to tell imo if he did speed up and if it was on purpose. It's a short track and not a mile and a halfer where you do have time to get down to the bottom of the track without worrying about other cars. He was out of there before the safety workers got there.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Back to today's race for just a minute, Watkins Glen is such a **** racetrack. The damage to Hello Newman's car there was awful, he's right to be pissed, and NASCAR should not run there as an excuse to get another road track on the schedule. Sonoma is so superior, it's not even fair.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget Gordon's, Burton's and Hornish's wreck from 09 or so. There are a couple other wrecks that should mean that this track should be upgraded. Majorly upgraded.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly. Nobody should give them business until they make the same investments every other track on the circuit is being forced to.

Juliet316 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen a list of some major wrecks and watched some of the videos over the last 8 or so years and it is appalling.

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Ender's America

"TONY STEWART JUST HIT THAT GUY ALEX"

crosspost from "ender sai rags on murica", so you can peep the carnaaaagggeeee of a 17 year old's life being snuffed out by the wheels of a stupid looking car

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No thank you. Watching it on ESPN at around 5am was more than enough.[face_sick]

And Rogue_Ten, the guy was twenty. Still way too young, but if you're going to post something like that, at least your facts right.

Even the drivers are calling for improvements to be made to Watkins Glen.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    reports i saw said 17. dont really care that much tho

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Doesn't Ender like one of these NASCAR-esque sports based on driving a car really fast?

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Formula - 1, yep.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Burton in for him.