main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

anguirus2003 and CooperTFN like this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wait...are we talking novels novels, or, like, kid's books?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm expecting no fewer than 18265 Frozen kids' books, given how many books showed up for Tangled and Brave.

Those weren't novels though.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kids books of course. It's compared to snother book series which has books for kids ranging 6-9 at a length of about 130 pages.

But what else were you expecting?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Rats, when you said novels I got my hopes up. :p

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Given how everyone besides me seems to adore Matt Stover, should he write a Frozen novel?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are a ton of illustrated books already.

"A Sister More Like Me" is amazing and is what made me decide Elsa was my favorite Disney Princess. It takes place between the years of the films, which is cool.

And it's online to read. Handy! http://imgur.com/a/R7snZ

Haven't read any of the others.

Edit: oh man a Stover Frozen book. The battle between Elsa and the soldiers would be SO GOOD.

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  11. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    First the bit in Kenobi, now this.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sigh

Next we'll see it in newspapers. I just can't escape.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

"We can't work with him, he just refuses to stop singing".

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But do we know if Arendelle will have any revolution in 1848? For all we know it will be overshadowed by the Mountain king – Swedish-Norway alliance and their united attack on Arendelle?

15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

Whoever that person is, he deserves a beer. Btw I tried to explain the Cad Bane thing to a few friends and they just gave me weird looks and said "I have no clue what you're talking about." And I told them "That's the thing. Neither do we. But it's fun."

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So the first chapter of the Frozen book is available as a preview. After I got over the staccato simple sentences (reading YA books like Percy Jackson was challenge enough; these kids books might seriously test my tolerance), I thought it only vaguely interesting. I can imagine they probably won't get into anything too controversial like revolutions, judging by the simplistic sentiment that a monarch should be just like everybody else and that royal anthems are boring. Dammit Disney, if you're going to be encouraging monarchism you can't be doing things like this! Your movies make it clear that aristocrats are finer than commoners, your books should follow through. Let's have none of this bourgeois "woman of the people" stuff -- that's fine for Anna but it does not suit Elsa.

Disappointing.

I did take the random Stover comment from yesterday to mind though, and I'm rereading Heroes Die for the first time in years. I last read it maybe 7 or 8 years ago (if not more) and I'm a more sophisticated reader now so it'll be interesting. We'll see if I can be bothered to continue past BoT, since I basically quit at CBK last time.

18. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Now the comments over there are divided between people referencing the meme and people who are clueless as to what we're talking about. :D

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    My barbarian ancestry may show but I think that Elsa does want to be a "woman of the people", she doesn't want to close any gates anymore. The first chapter acknowledged that you can't just walk to people and be an Anna if you are not like that. Her not-that-cheerful "Are you ready?" at the end of the movie was forced but showed that she wants to be liked.

Actually she reminds me of how I tried to go into student parties with the attitude "I'm going to have fun!" and how I came back home early counting how much I saved on alcohol.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess. There is a pattern in that chapter where Elsa tries to get the peasants not to treat her with awe and formality but it doesn't really work. Anna, on the other hand, has the common touch and can get then to open up.

Hopefully the lesson at the end of it is that Elsa should stop trying to chum around with the proletarians and should realize that she's better than them. After all, she's supposed to be true to herself, right?

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    See, I was actually thinking more of Stover's original work than ROTS. The freezing described in visceral (literally!) detail, the brutality of the winter and its effect on starving children, etc. He holds nothing back. Maybe his Elsa doesn't either, actually brutally slaying Weaseltown's guards with jagged spears of ice (dripping with frozen but not yet congealed blood) -- but coming to deeply regret it. Lots of mental anguish over what she's become.

And of course the whole thing about the weather being a philosophical allegory -- the pathetic fallacy writ large -- about Elsa's turmoil from having come from what is effectively a broken home. He'd take an already dark intro and make it darker yet. But it's not just grim dark because there would be a good reason for it; a lot of his narrative comes with subtext and meta commentary.

Point Given , Kablob and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes, but whenever someone mentions Stover writing someone then parodying the second-person thing is obligatory. :p

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In part it's reflective of JMS only having the film rights to B5, WB own the TV rights - I suspect he'd try for TV if he had those. It is, to me, a highly risky gambit at best.

That's one big danger - B5 worked, in part, due to the mosaic effect of the plot gradually building up, building up the viewer's knowledge of the races, the politics and history and then, at the same time, the Shadows ignite the pressure points. I don't see any way for a movie to replicate it.

The other problem is casting - I can't see any actors replicating the lightning in a bottle that was Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik and JMS'd be foolish to try to.

This could easily end up JMS' PT.

EDIT: My copy of Assail is in the post! [face_dancing] Now all I have to do is read Blood and Bone.

EDIT 2: For those in the know, I only just caught up with the news. For those who don't know to what it refers, this will be incomprehensible:

Over at #22 Bro!
    Second OHC bro? Yeah, bro.
    You going to buy it, bro? Oh yeah, Bro.
    When it's out, bro? Dunno, bro.

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Love is more than a candle.
    Love can unfreeze the ice.

Rogue Five, Revanfan1 and Kablob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.