main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Rocketjock Eatery (A Star Wars: Intervention OOC/OOG discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Bravo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Bravo

the thickening debris trail to the crippled B-12 Bacta Transport gave more support to the fact that this ship was indeed the one the Johnny Boy had indeed crossed paths with.

Err, when did we cross paths?

2. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Still don't have access to a computer. Probably won't til Monday :(

3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Got my first smartphone a week ago.

If it is going to help me post Mon-Fri, I will probably have to invest in a folding keyboard. I'm at my wits end just typing my unlock password through the screen, I can see why people are reluctant to do entire, even cursory, posts.

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    We didn't. But yet again, In-Character, Lasso is still unsure what happened to bring us out of hyperspace.

5. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Ah so he is thinking this wreckage might of cast a large enough mass shadow in hyperspace to jar the Johhny Boy back to real space. Good to know. That clears it up.

6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Sith-I-5, good catch. To cover my lapse, most hand-held comms and astromech droids have communication abilities several hundred or thousand meters. If I remember correctly, Astros can boost signals. Either way, my mistake and my rough in-canon way of solving it. ;)

7. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Well if it's aboard the JB I'm sure any comm signals are boosted and transmitted. Between the crew I mean.

Also I shall get to my tag on Monday, sorry guys. Things are almost done getting knocked off my list.

Bravo likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I was re-reading Yav's post responding to Winterkill, when I thought, hang on, how are we doing that? Aren't communications supposed to be out?

Bravo likes this.
  9. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    @Bravo

Specter asks a question to Quagmire, regarding the system. Should I assume communications are cut off at that point?

*and sleep is good for you. Get it while you can. :)

Bravo likes this.
  10. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Hand held comlinks, such as the model in Ep IV that was a small cylinder had a good enough range and power to go through a garbage masher, cross several blast doors and magnetic shielding to reach C-3PO and R2's hand held commlink on a link to link encrypted channel. That is no small feat as any cell phone user can tell you who has tried to use a phone near any magnetically shielded areas of a hospital. (my own observations of such included.)

So I would not doubt that they would be capable of surface to mid-orbit calls if made in the clear. In this instance the call is without interfering atmo so I would let personal comlinks be the go between right now. Not to mention shuttle and fighter comlink or even hyperlink systems should be separate and able to operate as such from the main 'Mother ship' as that was a design function. The R2 units could be acting as/in an operator status to keep the handhelds and fighters comms working together? Possibly.

Bravo likes this.
  11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Remember how they did extended Hyperspace searches in B5 Bravo? Starfury beads on a string? An additional snubfighter or two could be used as Comms links.

Bravo likes this.
  12. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    At present ranges I don't believe that will be an issue without much by way of interference sources such as planets or stars when we are this far out. Interstellar radiation isn't much of a degrading hindrance if you look at what NASA still does with probe data from ones sent over thirty years ago.

Still that is a good idea. Also could be used to make a 'drag net' of sensor coverage. so that no fighter is beyond the previous ones view and act like a sweeping scope.

Bravo likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Or...the communications could be fixed.

Bravo and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Bravo, are we going through this because for storyline reasons, the comms haven't been fixed, or can we go ahead and say they are working?

Bravo likes this.
  15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I would assume yes.

That would work Tim and good reference, except that the CAP is being used on a patrol (and now intercept in Edge) basis, meaning the difficulty to keep that signal going would far exceed a pilot's or astro droid's ability to compensate for the traveling changes to a starfighter in evasive maneuvers to keep a lock on from starfighter to starfighter.

Comms are down due to range. Once the JB moves closer to the Trial, comms would be restored, logically speaking.

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, I'm confused. The Quick Reference rates the JB comms equivalent to an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer.

If the repair crew fixes the Communications' issues, how is the Trial far enough away to affect it?

Okay, don't worry. You don't want the Comms being fixed as the reason why we have been communicating.

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    If comms are fixed, then yes, we can communicate by all means. I thought you meant if they weren't fixed, sorry...

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Still doesn't explain to me why hand comms or ship to ship comms of the starfighters/shuttle are not up to the task.

19. Intervention

Intervention Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2012
    I agree with you. My whole thing is---on my part---I never defined how far away we were from the wreck. So if the JB is traveling at thruster speeds and the Trial, who is traveling much faster and hence further away from the JB, are both headed to the same wreck, wouldn't the rapidly expanding distance between two objects cause the signal to falter between personal comlinks?

And I understand the theory behind the Death Star and comlink use---a very amazing argument by all accounts! :) But I'm not talking so much barriers as I am the rate at which one object is moving away from another one and hence causing the communication difficulties between that medium. Almost like hyperspace comm problems, but not hyperspace (because we're not moving that fast; and a HyperComm has to be straight line of connection...the JB and Trial haven't been identified as being on a straight path IC).

20. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    *Decides to let the hare sit* Okay.

Also, post up! WOOT! :D

21. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey everybody, finally home so I'll be working on my post shortly.

Bravo likes this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Barring unforeseen circumstances I'll get my next post in tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Bravo and Heavy Isotope like this.
  23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Feeling a little under the weather tonight. I'm going to focus on some storyline work tonight, to see if this sick feeling will lift. Expect me back to normal posting by tomorrow night after work.

Heavy Isotope likes this.
  24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I PM'd the following to Bravo yesterday and he requested I repost it in here.....

Normal radio waves travel at 3x10 to the power 8 metres per sec - that's 300,000 km/sec if I've got the metres/km conversion right.

There is no problem with a walking man, a driver at 70mph, a supersonic jet and an orbiting satellite all talking to each other if in line of sight.

The further away two radio users get (Earth/Satellite, Earth/Moon, Earth/Mars) all that happens is a pause (increasing with distance) while the signal gets to the receiving end and the responder answers.

For in-combat communications, ships would use omnidirectional broadcast aerials. Directional (tight-beam) aerials would be useless for the reason you gave, although they do produce a cone of clear communication.

Thinking about it, the culprit is rather more likely to be the time anomaly in the area of the debris field/wreck!

Bravo likes this.
  25. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    With that in mind Tim we could effectively get a comm call before the Johhny Boy makes it :D

Something which brings up a lot of B5 references ;)

Bravo likes this.