main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are some things that are so "underrated" that they're overrated? And vice versa.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    You know how in a particular sphere of fandom (movies, sports, books, whatever) it eventually becomes a shibboleth among all Smart People that "X is very underrated", to the degree where X becomes, in fact, overrated (or vice versa)? For me the ultimate example of this will always be Marvin Harrison circa the mid-2000s, but I'm interested in what some good examples of this are from things like comic book/sci-fi fandom, since I'm not really plugged into that sphere at all.

Another good example is Majora's Mask in Zelda fandom.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Firefly is the absolute epitome of this. Good show. Not remotely the best sci-fi show of all time which if not canceled would have redeemed all of humanity's ills, as many Browncoats seem to think.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Joss Whedon in general.

His fanbase is crazy cuckoo-go-nuts. So much so, they'll send death threats to people online who even say anything even remotely negative about their Lord and Savior and his works.

heels1785 and Penguinator like this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    An insanely overrated experience: In N Out. Despite being born & bred here in SoCal, but I don't fully get it... yes, objectively their burgers are good, and if you get the fries animal-style, you're in for quite a treat. However, people insanely oversell it... there are better burgers to be had out here, anyway.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, but In-N-Out is not "underrated", so it doesn't really fit the criteria of this thread (I do love In-N-Out, but in a "once a month when I want a burger, this is where I will get a burger" way, not an obsessive way).

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Shouldn't we make a differentiation between fast food burgers and burgers at nicer, sit-down restaurants, too? I mean, an In-N-Out burger will never compare to the latter, but I'll always opt for the In-N-Out burger over McD's, BK, etc...

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This feels like it should be a NotSoScruffyLooking thread.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Reboot!BSG

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Do people not know what vice versa means?
    So overrated it's underrated? Or so underrated it's overrated? What? Explain.

No one really says it's underrated, at this point, it's well known, it's not a sleeper. So that's out.

The fans are so die hard about it that people who don't think it's great say the fans are overrating it....but those people obviously are not fans and in the minority...regardless, you're saying that enough people say it's overrated that it's actually underrated? What? I'm so confused.

No, it's just overrated garbage. It's not so overrated that it's actually underrated. (another way of saying this is to say it's unappreciated)

It sure as **** isn't underrated.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know if Five Guys is all over the country but people rave about their burgers here and I don't get it. I went once to see what the hype was about, paid $31 for the kids and me to eat (WTF? Our favorite deli is between $15-20 for the three of us), and the burger was pretty ordinary. I'd rather go to Red Robin and get their Gorgonzola burger if I'm going to pay that much.

As far as shows...Game of Thrones. *ducks* Apparently sci-fi/fantasy fans love this show. I tried three episodes and gave up.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You went up in my estimation and then down again within a single post.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Being so underrated it's overrated is so overrated it's underrated.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Doctor Who

Darth_Omega likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    All I see are people listing things that are overrated (mainly) or underrated. Not both.

But I can't really think of an example where both apply. Perhaps my brain is malfuntioning (or rather, at full capacity)

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Doctor Who is still a minority thing that most people should be aware of, as their fans will usually tell you: UNDERRATED
    But Doctor Who is actually a piece of ****: OVERRATED

Try to keep up, Dingles.

Darth_Omega, CT-867-5309 and Bacon164 like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    See there, for the first time a good explanation. Thank you, JoanofSorts.

20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I can usually tell I won't like someone if they say they like Dr. Who.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I do not care you, either.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hatred for Doctor Who is so underrated that it's overrated.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Doesn't this just make it overrated?

I don't understand this thread. Isn't this what overrated/underrated means anyway?

Condition2SQ are you saying that Marvin Harrison was so underrated that he was overrated or so overrated that he was underrated? He was the best receiver of the '00s. Are you saying people used to call him underrated? Because I am very sure that is not the case(and if you are saying the opposite I have never heard anyone call him overrated either).

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe. My confusion is underrated at this point.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What he means is things that are underrated or unknown by the mainstream, but so overpraised and claimed to be underrated by nerds that at this point they end up being overrated. Of course, they're still ignored by the mainstream. Firefly is definitely the go-to example of this phenomenon.