main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Israel/Palestine

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really hope it is.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

lol @ people outraged by this.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    are people outraged by it? it was presented to me as darkly humorous

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Um, yeah, I mean I figure religious people are boring foolish too serious at the best of times, but Google the phrase "BBC Israel soldier twists ankle in gaza" and prepare to be assailed by gormless hypocrisy and manufactured outrage. 'Cause, you know, Arabs done hate Palestinians; they just hate Israelis more.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    welcome to the internet i guess

ill be over here puzzling over israeli facebook friends' reactions to a picture that purports to be of a palestinian literally hanging small children by their clothing on a fence, supposedly as human shields (as if that has ever stopped the idf)

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Speaking for myself, my Jewish friends are absolutely in an alternate world right now, where Israel is under assault by the very anus of evil itself.

yankee8255 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yah, i love at least two of my facebook israelis to death but its really creepy when they periodically get pulled into these paroxysms of "kill-em-all" nationalism

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I only do that to Saxonites.

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well I have a mix of both I should say. Some are militant, others are conspicuously oblivious to it, posting more "normal" photos of them doing stuff than they otherwise would.

I understand the militant sentiment, but I can't sanction it given the death toll to date.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i think the israeli citizens i know just happen to be right there in netanyahu's base

none of the non-israeli jews i know ever comment on the conflict on facebook, so far as ive noticed. its always the evangelical americans and the israelis that go into full spin-machine mode during these flare-ups. and then there's one girl who doesnt even wait for a major offensive, its just "all palestinians being evil all the time", punctuated by selfies (her iphone has an israeli flag skin, so the mirrored ones at least have a sort of continuity with the nationalist content) and the occassional article about animal cruelty -- her two main political causes appear to be protecting animal rights and exterminating gazans

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The worst are the Gawker and related-site comments.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

i lol'd

also apparently there's another truce or something, w/e

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm finding it difficult to not be defeatist when it comes to this conflict, which in turn makes me apathetic. Basically, they deserve each other.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    well the problem with that thinking is that, in the long term is that, as much as israel whines about rockets killing, like 1/2 of an israeli citizen per year or w/e, they probably could sustain the occupation indefinitely (and presumably, given netanyahu's public rejection of both a two state solution and citizenship for palestinians, this is the de facto intent). the real suffering is on the palestinian side, and that cannot and should not be sustained forever

Lord Vivec likes this.
  18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I've thought/known this for a long time, hence my defeatism.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd say it's pretty easy for Westerners/Americans to settle into the comforts of defeatism and apathy when we aren't affected by the situation at all.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the whole "they deserve each other" comment is unwarranted. surely the palestinian people do not "deserve" to be exterminated and/or driven from their homes? to say nothing of the, in my opinion, also unfair implication that the average israeli citizen "deserves" to live in a culture suffused by hate and fear

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Isn't VVM Iranian?

22. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I didn't mean the average Palestinian or Israeli citizen, as surely the average citizen on both sides is reasonable and just wants to get on with his life and mind his own business more than anything. My comment was directed at what you might call hardliners - those who nurture an atmosphere of fear and hostility. I thought that was implied. Or, rather, I thought that was assumed, I should say. Perhaps it was a needlessly vicious statement.

I've grown up here, though. I'm as much, if not more so, a product of here as there. His criticism is valid.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Is he? I mean, my comment still stands whether he is or isn't, it just wouldn't be directed at him anymore.

Violent Violet Menace answer.

EDIT: how did you go back in time and post before me VVM this isn't funny. :p

24. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

I have to imagine they were referring to the IDF and Hamas or the Israeli government and Hamas. I'd like to think that when people are mentioning the Israelis and Palestinians, they aren't referring to the general civilian populations who would just as soon see this ended.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    well then i think its worth pointing out his rhetorical mistake, because clearly hamas and likud are doing quite well off each new exchange of ordinance. do they "deserve" the increased support they both recieve from their constituents/international cheering sections as a result? surely he didnt mean that either