main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The second season is a lot better than the first. They've worked out some of the storytelling kinks they had in the first season (how they tackle the flashbacks are a lot more concise now and better executed, IMO). It's probably one of the most enjoyable seasons of a TV show I've watched in a while.

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, Arrow. That is on my list of shows to start whenever I get a moment to do so. At first, I didn't watch it because of the CW stamp, which was a dead turn off for me. (Taking Reign and Beauty and the Beast into account. ;)) But I've heard good things from people whose opinions matter to me, and it's DC. I think I need to have a marathon now. :p

Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've only seen the first season, but I really like it! Is Reign good?

4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm sold then. I must start watching it. :cool:

Reign is . . . well, a high school soap opera with a historical spin that could have been awesome, but instead of paying attention to history, cares more about the dalliances of a handful of teenaged ladies and their costume changes. Which is sad, because it may have had its good parts, but I couldn't get past the first episode because of the costume decisions. For example, this was the wardrobe when Mary Stuart lived (the same time as Queen Elizabeth I) -

[​IMG]

And this is a sample of Reign. At it's most 'fancy'.

[​IMG]

Um . . . I can take a little inaccuracy in my fiction. But that is just ridiculous. It was painful to watch . . . so painful.

And you have some interesting things going on with the show, like Nostradamus, King Henry II of France's and Catherine de'Medici's turbulent marriage and Mary's engagement to their son, and that's not even talking about her claim to the English throne while Elizabeth was trying to solidify her rule - eventually, she would even be executed for that claim! There is so much material there to make an interesting plot out of. So yes, this show could have been glorious! It obviously has a descent budget, and the actors may be better if they were only given something substantial to sink their teeth into. Instead, it gave off more of the 'who's wearing what to impress who' kind of vibe. It sold itself short. :(

(EDIT: And I am sorry about the large picture now dominating your browser. The site won't keep my scaling of it down for any of the files I tried. I know, my computer skillz for the win! :p :oops:)

Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks for that Mira_Jade, you made me vomit a little bit. Aaaargh, costume design in "historical" dramas, aaaargh... :oops:

Mira_Jade likes this.
  6. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Mira_Jade I recommend Arrow. Plus now I have a new obsession and it ain't pretty. I love the team dynamics! Felicity has become one of favorite female characters on a show.

I didn't even try with Reign. I lost track of Vampire diaries but I will probably watch Flash. I'm a Marvel girl through and through(speaking of check out Her Universe's new Marvel line Mira!) but the Arrow writes and Stephen Amell has converted me at least to Arrow!!!

Mira_Jade likes this.
  7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    So Marvel ladies ... excited about the new show with Captain America's love? :D

Reign has been on my list to watch, but I haven't even seen an episode. I absolutely adore history and particularly this time period and the preceeding few hundred years, so I'm disappointed that it's eh (though really, with a few exceptions, CW strikes me as having a plethora of silly shows, so I'm not surprised). Maybe I'll bump it to near thebottom of my list.

Especially since I got talked into watching Game of Thrones and have been going at it 8-}

Mira_Jade likes this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I am still trying to make my way through the books before I start the show, and it's so hard to avoid! But I am on A Storm of Swords now, and enjoying every page of it. Mr. Martin's world is engrossing, that's for sure. [face_love]

And I am so, so excited about Peggy's new series. I am hoping for something a little better than Agents of SHIELD, though. After trying so hard to emotionally invest with that show, I have fallen behind in watching it, and can't even summon my enthusiasm for it's new season, which is sad. :( But Peggy is Peggy, and I am so looking forward to it. So much. [face_love][face_dancing]

9. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I am so excited for Agent Carter! So happy ABC is taking a chance with an awesome female lead!

AS for AoS after Winter Soldier came out, the season just picked up and wow. They just got better. I cannot wait for the second season.

I have yet to watch Season 3 or 4 of Game of Thrones. I have downloaded the books so that's probably my summer read this year.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade - enjoy it! The books become steadily less engaging after ASoS (too much standing around talking and waiting for something to happen, IMO :p ), but even so, the world remains incredibly rich and fascinating. My sister has been reading A Dance with Dragons for over a year now and I'm trying to get her to pick up the pace a bit so I can get the book back... 8-}

Master_Jaina1011 - I agree, AOS does pick up after Winter Soldier came out (since they have interlinked plot events), but I still can't help but feel unsatisfied. I mean... in retrospect it feels like the show was just stalling, waiting around for Winter Soldier to come out so it could do the plot it really wanted to do. And since everything was so secretive, since AOS couldn't spoil what was going to happen for Winter Soldier, the plot of the final third of the show isn't set up well. No matter how many times I go back and look at it, it still feels like it came out of NOWHERE. Poor execution, IMO.

Apparently Brett Dalton wasn't even TOLD his character was working for HYDRA before the episode where he flips. He had no idea... hiding that kind of backstory from your actors, especially when it is so crucial to their tactics and development, is just... argh. I don't like it. Poor execution.

While I appreciate how AOS is expanding on the impact events of the MCU films have on Earth, I don't like plot developments being established in one medium and then jumping to another to be tied up. It's sloppy. The works are related, yes, but they shouldn't be dependent on each other and AOS and Winter Soldier definitely are if you're going to maximize audience understanding and enjoyment.

...I'll have to see about checking out Agent Carter...

Mira_Jade likes this.
  11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I haven't seen AOS or Winter Soldier, but I completely agree with this:

Not just with this situation specifically, but in general. Each one should be able to stand alone.

I read the first SOIAF book many years ago (8-ish) and didn't enjoy it all that much. And I wouldn't even say I like the show so much; it's not really my type of thing. So I'm going to do a very rare thing for me and probably not read the books, just continue with the show.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm must admit, Nat, I'm a little surprised that you're still following the show. I know how much you like your happy endings... :p (I think we've had the conversation about happy/bittersweet/sad endings about five times or something?)

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, at LEAST five times! You know me well :p I actually knew a lot of what happened (between here and Buzzfeed and my best friend, who adores the show). And honestly, even after everything, I'm still hoping for a happy ending :p But I wouldn't use "like" to describe my feelings about the show, more a wanting to know what's going to happen.

And speaking of TV, I know we're not all great sports fans, but is anyone else watching the World Cup? I actually took an extended lunch today so I could watch the US play Germany :p

14. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I've been watching it because one USA, and two they have in on the tv's in the office

NYCitygurl likes this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Rargle, I hit a snag in the fic I was idly working on. Time to stop working on it and deal with the nagging plot bunny that's been spawned from a frikkin' sig pic on another forum...

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Aaaaand the U.S. is out :( Ah, well; it was fun while it lasted.

And happy Canada Day!

17. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    RIP Robin Williams. One of the funniest actors that was out there. I bid you a final Na-nu Na-nu!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so sad to hear :( He was one of the greats.

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That was painful to hear about. :( He will most certainly be missed.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Echoing that. @};- @};- Mork and Mindy was a blastarama. Liked him in Flubber, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Patch Adams. [face_mischief]

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I have several songs from Aladdin on my iPod and love listening to them to remember all the good times he gave me as a child!

Did everyone have a good weekend? It's a holiday in the States, so I went to visit friends and had a blast :D Not ready for summer to come to an end!

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm glad you had a great time, Nat! I used Labor Day to catch up on work - it's a great day to work outside when most of your businesses are closed for the day. So, while not fun, per say, it was productive. :p

This summer has been fantastic, but I am already looking forward to fall - it's my favourite season with the leaves changing and the cider mills and the cooling weather. There's nothing better in my book. [face_love]

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I usually can't wait for fall, but I'd wanted this summer so much, and it was so cold, that I could wait a few more weeks!

Mira_Jade likes this.
  24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I want fall to come sooner. Cosplaying is easier in the fall. I don't die of dehydration and heat as much.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Labour Day weekend for me was spent travelling and re-organizing. I just moved provinces for school, so I'm adjusting to having flown half-way across the country. :p

Mira_Jade likes this.