main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Where can I read about mandalorian lore pre-TCW cartoon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Captain RX, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Mando'ad draar digu

3. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I think AOTC Visual Dictionary was the first source to claim that Jango was Mandalorian.

Yep, I just checked and it's in there.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does Rinzler's making of ESB book say whether or not Boba was intended to be a Mando?

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    THANKS DAVID WEST REYNOLDS

Even with Jango and Boba "not being Mandalorians technically," I meant Jaster Mereel was not even connected to the Mandalorians in any way. Id est, his figurative grandfather Jaster Mereel shouldn't have been Mandalore, nor his figurative father; by having those things as part of his backstory it goes against the original implication or intent. Boba Fett/Jaster Mereel had no connection to the Mandalorians in his history until he started wearing their armor upon becoming a bounty hunter, and then the only connection was that he wore the armor.

I find that kind of interesting TBH, because it leaves open what the Mandalorians really are. And it gives Boba Fett a backstory but keeps him mostly mysterious.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    plus it makes Boba more of an individual

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    can you quote what it says? I just want to know.

Äh, can you say that again but slowler. I don't understand what you are saying.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    On page 40 it says:

After the murder of his parents, Jango Fett was adopted and raised by the legendary Mandalorian warrior army, a mercenary group who earned a reputation as the most formidable supercommandoes in the galaxy. The Jedi destroyed this dangerous force, but Fett survived and continues to wear the armored, weapon-filled uniform that helped make the Mandalorians a dreaded name.

On page 42:

The Mandalorian way lives on in the bond between Jango Fett and his son Boba..... To young Boba, Jango Fett is father, family, ideal, and hero, the greatest of the Mandalorians and the image of his own destiny.

It also goes on explaining how at the age of 13 Mandalorian boys have to face the trials of manhood.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That's one change I don't mind losing. I liked thinking of Fett as the untied loner, that he would see the plight of the Mandalorians and his fellow clones and... well, stay true to himself and only to himself. I would have liked to see that to the end, so if they go with that in the new continuity, I'll be happier.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm finally at the Mandalorian arc of Clone Wars and while Obi Wan mentions Jango it leaves it vague as to if he is a mando or not. The Prime Minister just responds something like "Jango Fett is nothing more than a common bounty hunter!" and thats all thats said on the subject. Not sure if they delve more into it later or not.

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

They don't. That comment caused a lot of debate too. For my part, I take that as the opinion of one man, who's part of a movement that involved actively denying the Mandalorian's warrior past. Therefore he had no real reason to speak positively of Jango, and furthermore probably never met him, or learned about his history. His words should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

12. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    Didn't he end up being part of the bad guy mandalorians though?

13. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Yeah.

14. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    Just read Marvel Star Wars Issues 68 and 69 and i'm not sure where the writer got the idea that princess leia was alive during the clone wars. The movie made it pretty it clear that she wasn't ("Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars"). The comic also reveals that Boba Fett IS a mandalorian and was once a war hero before deciding to go off and do his own thing and portrays Mandalore as being a slaver planet overseen by the empire with the mando warriors acting as rogue terrorists trying to destabilize it.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    He wasn't ideologically part of Death Watch though, IIRC, he was just imprisoned by Satine for the whole corruption thing, and Maul offered him a deal.

The comment can be taken as gospel truth or handwaved, whichever way you choose to take it.

16. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    It's hard for me to take Almec's comments with more than a grain of salt once he's illuminated as being a corrupt politician. Like others have said, Mando lore is very spread-out among various comics/books/RPGs/ect. now categorized as "Legends". Authors like Abel Pena and Jason Fry have done a fantastic job of tying the works of other authors + TCW together, and I've tried to condense some of that information in my Official Star Wars Blog posts. While we do have the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir series that is currently showing Mandalorians post TCW...it's up in the air if the next author to tackle Mandalorians will use the existing Legends work for reference.

With the new "Star Wars: Rebels" cartoon having a Mandalorian as a main character, my hope is that they do some flash-backs of her past to a Mandalore that has been enslaved by the Empire (the Darth Maul comics give us a good reason for why that would happen). Whoever that future author may be, hopefully they will cherry-pick enough Legends material to continue keeping the existing lore fairly cohesive.

17. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I would very much appreciate a new novel or some comics going into Mandalorian history again, especially into how Jango became a Mandalorian this time around, and the part Boba feels he may or may not play in Mandalorian society. (Though of course the latter will be better emphasized if Boba crawls out of the Sarlaac this time around.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or how he was kicked out and become persona ingrata on Mandolore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.