main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Indiana Jones have an established canon?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DBZGTKOSDH, Aug 10, 2014.

1. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Star Wars has it, what about Indiana Jones? The 4 movies would be canon of course, but what about the TV Series, the books, the video games, etc?

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the same i think. the films and young indy show are canon. everything else is less so.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The Old Indy intros/outros that were originally shown on "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" have been pretty much ruled non-canon. They were deleted from the DVD release of the series and aren't mentioned in any of the more recent books about the character.

At least, last I knew, they're still viewable on YouTube. I liked those segments.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Oh, and the Marvel comics aren't canon, so far as I know. I'm not too sure about the novels.

5. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The movies and TV show (in their DVD format) are definite canon.

As for the rest, I personally consider the 13 adult novels to be canon as they fit will within the TV and Movie timeline and from memory don't step on any toes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_(franchise)#List_of_novels

Young Indy -> Original 12 Novels -> Temple of Doom -> Raiders -> Last Crusade -> Army of the Dead Novel -> Crystal Skull
    Covers 1899 to 1957

6. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    It did. Leland Chee called it the Expanded Adventures but I don't think I've seen anyone else use the term.

Since the Star Wars canon got reset with the Disney purchase, Indy may have gone the same way.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So is there a Cup Of The Vampire or not?

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    [​IMG]

;)

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    It wasn't the first time the supernatural occurred in the Indy universe.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I would assume that the television show along with the films are canon. I don't know about the rest.

11. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    In my opinion, Books are never canon...I don't care what anyone says...How can the old EU be canon when Lucas never read a single book? Also the EU had so many continuity issues...the new Disney canon already has continuity issues and it is inevitable when you have hundreds of different authors issuing their take on single universe...it's impossible not to have issues....whatever is a motion picture is canon...movies/Tv shows....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If Star Wars canon was reset. I imagine if Disney gave any thought to the Indy franchise and did something with it theyd end up resetting Indy canon starting with a prequel book about him meeting Marion for the first time- Dawn Of A New Adventure:p

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, when she was only 11 years old...[face_whistling]

DarthSheev, Sarge and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I would count all the films as canon, no question. But TOD was actually a prequel to the rest of the series. That story happened before the other films in the timeline. But still canon none the less. I used to watch TYIJC, but it has been a long time since then. I would consider them canon as I can't imagine it contradicting the films. If the powers that be see it differently, then so be it.

Darth Zannah likes this.
  15. Crystal Skull

Crystal Skull Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2015
    Canon always works with movies and tv shows with everything else as "soft canon" for most franchises it seems unless otherwise stated. I would place things published (not just licensed) by Lucasfilm/Lucasarts closer to the top, i.e. the video games for example.
    Interesting you mention Army of the Dead. Curious why you find that more canonical? Anyways, I do know that book references Emperor's Tomb which is cool (for some people, maybe not) which btw, my thread about it's inclusion in the Ultimate Guide remains with 0 replies. ;)

16. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005

I didn't see Army of the Dead contradicting any of the past novels, and it was cool to have something that references Crystal Skull and features a secondary character from the movie. Plus, if I include the original novels in my personal canon, I see no problem with adding Army of the Dead.

17. Crystal Skull

Jan 27, 2015
    Nor do I but I was wondering since Army of the Dead references Emperor's Tomb a couple times which itself contradicts a couple things. Personally, Emperor's Tomb should be in canon despite those contradictions but I know some people may not like that.

18. Crystal Skull

Jan 27, 2015
    One other thing missing there....

Fate of Atlantis.

That's been pretty well accepted as canon. It even appears with various pictures in the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones. It's widely regarded as one of the best uses of the license too.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There is a canon, but we needn't worry about it. We're well out of range.

20. JMSwallow

JMSwallow Author: SW Insider, SW Fact Files VIP

May 22, 2005
    IIRC, the West End Games Masterbook RPG rulebook 'The World of Indiana Jones' from 1994 had a pretty good timeline in it. It pulled stuff from the movies, the Chronicles TV show, the Dark Horse comics and the novels (including the Young Indy and untranslated German books).