main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did anyone else assume that Boba Fett would kill Mace Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by 00Beast, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 00Beast

00Beast Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2014
    I was in the 1st grade when Attack of the Clones came out- I went to see it in theaters with my dad, and after watching the scene where Mace Windu beheads Jango Fett on the battlefield, I was almost dead sure that I had Windu's fate all figured out for the next episode.

Throughout the 2nd and 3rd grades, leading up to the release of Revenge of the Sith when I was in the 4th grade, I used to tell my friends that I knew exactly what was going to happen to Mace Windu. I would talk about how Boba Fett was going to grow up with this nasty hatred for Windu after the murder of his father, and that he was going to train to be an expert bounty hunter like Jango and take revenge on Windu. I always envisioned this epic battle scene between Mace Windu and Boba Fett in which Boba won.

And then I saw Revenge of the Sith in theaters at age 10 in the 4th grade and realized that my supposedly guaranteed fate for Mace Windu wasn't quite the way I thought.....

Did anyone else think that maybe Boba Fett would come back to take revenge on Mace Windu? Attack of the Clones sort of left us that impression, what with Boba looking out on the battlefied to see his father beheaded and then going down to hold Jango's head against his.

Thuro likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    many people did before ep 3.

3. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Worst bring your kid to work day ever.

deadly jp, mratm23, jbyrd1245 and 4 others like this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This was an intended plot point in ROTS, but there simply wasn't room for it so the idea was dropped early. Whether or not Boba was to be successful in getting his revenge is unclear
    The idea was revived and used in TCW, but knowing very little of the show, I can't tell you much more than Boba tries to kill Mace lol

5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    They should have gone with that. I liked what Boba did in the novel... TCW portrayal of Boba didn't quite cut it for me. I hope they develop him more, maybe even have another, cooler battle with Windu.

zompusbite likes this.
  6. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Lucas thought that (as far as I know, there was visual material developed about the battle between the two).
    Most probably, Windu's fate changed when he started writing episode 3 and decided to use his death as the turning point for Anakin (whereas it's most possible that Dooku was meant to fill that role originally). Ultimately, Boba Fett is such a minor character that it really doesn't matter whether he gets his revenge or not, whereas Anakin is the main character, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thuro likes this.
  7. banthatracks74

banthatracks74 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2013
    Boba would still have been far too young in ROTS to try and take out a Jedi master like Windu.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No.

Even Boba Fett in his prime got clowned by a blind man and a hole in the ground.

He shouldn't even be allowed to step to Mace Windu.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    [face_rofl] Word and expression of the year candidate.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Didn't stop him in TCW. And he came awfully close to getting revenge, too.

rumsmuggler and thejeditraitor like this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I've got quotes that seem to back that up, though I don't have the exact sources for where each quote came from.

"Boba WILL be in Episode III, but his role definitely won’t be larger. He’s in a transition period of becoming a bounty hunter. The next film takes place two or three years later, so Boba would only be 13 and still wouldn’t fit in the suit."

--George Lucas

"I told George (Lucas) I didn't mind dying, I just didn't want to go out like some punk. George said that was fine and he'd see what he could do about a fitting death scene for Mace."

--Samuel L. Jackson

"I die in the next film. But I want to have a say in it. When I go, I don't want to get shot in the back by some bounty hunter-little Bobo twerp. When I go I want to be facing him, and he has to be better than me."

--Samuel L. Jackson

"I did get an e-mail from the stunt coordinator, who said he'd like for me to show up a little early because he has some things we want to work out. So I guess that sounds like I'm gonna go out in a blaze of glory. I'm looking forward to it."

--Samuel L. Jackson

"I'm just going to die, you know? I'm basically going down there hoping that I'm going to have this really awesome lightsaber battle with somebody that takes me out in the proper way. You know, the way a Jedi of my status deserves to be taken out."

--Samuel L. Jackson

"The fun part about being able to set up a character like Mace Windu and Sam wanting to do the pictures is that we were able to set him up in the first film and actually use him in this film. And he's looking forward to the fact that he knows that at the end of the Clone War he gets killed so he gets hopefully a great death scene. So you kind of know where everything is going."

--George Lucas

"Sam’s a little concerned that I make it nice and dramatic. It won’t be in the movie’s first scene."

--George Lucas

So ultimately, it was in consideration early on and then it was changed. TCW and the Boba Fett young adult books touched upon it with their own takes on the story.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I never expected this, and I'm very surprised to here that it was actually considered.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  13. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Windu would kill him just like he did to his father

MacetheCouncillor and Erkan12 like this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I know someone who insists that Windu survived his fall from the window and then got killed by Boba.

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Boba Fett: "Time to die, Mace."
    Windu decapitates little Boba.
    Mace Windu: "Like father, like son."

16. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Nobody can kill a Jedi.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I think they used Mace well in Star Wars, it would have been great to see how Boba goes from Geonosis to one of Jabbbs henchmen, but i guess we have Clone Wars/Rebels for that explaination now.

19. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    That's pretty funny right there. :)

20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Jango killed one and it seems some Battledroids did also.

21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I remember reading once, during the months leading up to ROTS, that Sam was concerned his character would go out like a punk.

Getting killed by a thirteen-year-old boy with a vendetta against the Jedi would fit my definition of 'going out like a punk'.

22. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    No:

I thought Dooku and Mace would duel in the next movie, with one or the other being killed

there seemed to be quite the animosity between the two on the balcony, a sort of history that wasn't shared to the audience.

It was a wonderful bit of acting by the two so was disappointed Lucas didn't play with that.

23. The General

The General Jedi Padawan

Oct 15, 2014
    Just a question. Couldn't a Jedi of Mace Windu's power have used the force to slow his decent and thus perhaps survive the fall from that window? I realize it didn't happen and I didn't think it did at the time. Or did the lightening attack kill him in its own right? All I'm wondering is if it was at all possible for him to survive the fall.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No. Because Mace was too much for any bounty hunter to handle.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  25. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    No. "He's just a boy".