main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite post-ROTJ novels/series? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Aug 11, 2014.

?

What are your favorite (now non-canon) post-ROTJ novels/series?

1. Thrawn trilogy

51.1%
  2. Jedi Academy trilogy

7.6%
  3. Black Fleet Crisis trilogy

15.2%
  4. Hand of Thrawn duology

20.7%
  5. X-Wing series

44.6%
  6. YJK & JJK series

6.5%
  7. NJO series

52.2%
  8. LOTF series

4.3%
  9. FOTJ series

3.3%
  10. Other (see list, and please specify)

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What are your favorite (now non-canon) post-ROTJ novels/series?

If you choose other, please specify. There were lots of options I wanted to include, like:
    Truce at Bakura
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    Scourge
    the Corellian trio
    the Callista "trilogy"
    the Jedi Princes series
    I Jedi
    Crystal Star
    Shadows of Mindor
    Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy
    The New Rebellion
    Survivor's Quest
    the Dark Nest trilogy
    Crosscurrent
    Riptide
    Millennium Falcon
    Crucible
    etc.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thrawn trilogy, the first books I read and it actually got me into the EU

3. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    In b4 Favourite Threads Not Allowed with my entry of X-Wing and Black Fleet Crisis

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

More seriously, in addition to ticking Thrawn and NJO, I also selected Other because I've always enjoyed the Jaden Korr "duology" and consider the lack of closure to Riptide one of the biggest things I'm going to miss now there are no more EU books.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I just picked NJO because in my mind I've puffed it up to the mystical Camelot of SW storytelling.

6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    My favourite is Darksaber but the Thrawn trilogy, Jedi Academy trilogy, I, Jedi, the X-Wing series, The Truce at Bakura, The Courtship of Princess Leia, Hand of Thrawn books and the NJO are some of my favourites too.

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Shadows of the Empire, Truce at Bakura, Shadows of Mindor, Courtship of Princess Leia, I, Jedi, Children of the Jedi, The New Rebellion

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    NJO, Thrawn, and X-Wing.

9. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Definitely the NJO. I looked forward to the next book in the series more than I did the next prequel.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    NJO isn't even that good, bro.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I voted for NJO and other. (There were parts of LOTF and FOTJ I liked, but the overall experience and outcome and lack of a good plan really soured the entire experience.)

For other, I enjoyed: Tatooine Ghost, Shadows of Mindor, Millennium Falcon... I also bought but haven't yet read Scourge, Crosscurrent, Riptide.

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Thrawn for me. Not surprised to see that, X-Wing, and NJO getting most of the votes.

14. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I gave JAT it's single, sad, solitary vote, as well as one for TTT and an "Other" for I, Jedi. I haven't read a lot of post-ROTJ literature though.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pity vote for LOTF.

Revanfan1 and Darkwriter like this.
  16. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    EVERYTHING! because I know we'll all enjoy it way more than what Abrams concocts.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and DelRiego like this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    If I wasn't trying to artificially inflate the NJO by voting solely for it in a bid to relive the glory years of 1999-2003, I'd probably have voted TTT, BFC, and HOT (favorite acronym) as well, plus I guess other for Shatterpoint, LSATSOM, and SOTE. And maybe I, Jedi. Maybe.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Remember this is just for post-ROTJ novels

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    oh I saw SOTE mentioned

that's my excuse

20. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Voted TTT, HOT, and X-Wing because I'm apparently a boring traditionalist.

Even though I respect NJO's potential for brilliance, I still feel like the contrived incompetence and vacillation in the early parts are big problems that, while they didn't exactly set a bad precedent for galactic government (Bantam having done that), also failed miserably in correcting said pattern, making the Rebellion almost seem like a failure in retrospect. That, and the fact that I haven't read large chunks of the series still means that I couldn't in good conscience give it a vote. The only other one I considered was Black Fleet, but Leia's abysmal incompetence in the first two books plus the fact that two of the three plotlines were unnecessary sink that pretty quick.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Let me go ahead and throw in a mention for the Young Jedi Knights Series (And the Junior Jedi Knights Series by extension.) More than any other work, it attempted to really introduce readers to the new generation of Jedi, and set them up to solidly take over for Luke, Han, and Leia. I actually think the NJO then did a good job of continuing this trend.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I went other because I'm a sucker for gimmicky stuff like Crosscurrent, Millennium Falcon, and Shadows of Mindor.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, it's interesting how the wording of the question ultimately determined my answer. I wound up voting for the X-Wing series not because I think it's actually the best thing on this list, but because it's pretty indisputably my personal favorite. The books were some of the first EU works I ever experienced, and while my opinion of Stackpole's books has waned somewhat, Allston's are one of the few things I enjoyed as a young adolescent that I still like exactly as much. Heck, they've played a direct role in the development of my planned (non-SW) webcomic, in a way that no other individual EU series has.

For all that, though, I actually don't think they're the best Star Wars series here. For instance, the Thrawn Trilogy really translated the feel of the movies to the written page in a way I'm not sure the EU ever managed again, and the NJO (while far too deeply flawed for me to ever vote for it, I think) did a huge amount in expanding the post-ROTJ EU to stand on its own. The X-Wing novels, in contrast, follow a reasonably conventional military sci-fi template. You could probably transfer a lot of the basic elements to, say, the Star Trek universe and have them still remain the same.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    NJO series? Really guys??

25. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'd say a lot of prequel era books - especially Luceno stuff - also accomplished that. Darth Plagueis, Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter specifically. Of course, maybe that was the feel of the prequels, not the OT. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.