main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't see it.

It's not like all Sith must betray and manipulate each other, Darth Marr didn't do these. But Lana is just too weird, it's a bit like Zash before the real face but with better acting.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant Vitiate's Sith Order.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why are you fixated on Lana, slowpoke?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Kael'thas? Sounds like they ripped off the name from Feal-Thas.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    She's an unusual Sith, but SWTOR sometimes had unusual Sith. Most were the cackling maniacs who loved bathing in the blood of the innocents, most of the rest were treacherous and backstabbing and manipulative. Some had honor too, but there were also a few deluded ones (such as Praven). Lana seems too intelligent to be that naive about the Sith, but there have been a few who were somewhat selfless, loyal more to the Empire than their own interests. Lana seems like that type, loyal but otherwise very... objective, without the sadistic or theatrical flare most other Sith have (Mwa ha ha! Republic scum, those sort of lines).

Interesting journal entry (certainly puts Arkous in a different light, whereas before he just seemed very theatrical), I've gotta try out the PTS sometime. Though doesn't sound like Manaan will offer much answers either, so it'll be up to the third part. I think the third part will come before the expansion and the move to 3.0? Though that pushes 3.0 even further away since 2.10 will be class changes that they couldn't fit into 2.9 I think.

Probably not a Revanite, since it sounds like they're turning the Revanites into the next third faction to fight (first it the Dread Guard, then the Hutts for Makeb, now onto the Revanites). If she's a recurring Imperial character, that could be interesting, unless she defects but guess that depends on the Sith Empire's response to the Revanite threat (how to tell how good they're doing on the Intelligence front these days).

6. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Basically, everything about Lana is off from her appearance to what she says to how she acts.

How many lines in her text would you need to change to make her story be about any other faction?

Honestly, she seems to be what a player character Sith Empire would generally be like.

That's a problem because most pc's behave the way they due because of the games limitations not because they want to do so.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

When was Feal-thas first introduced though? I think it was after Kael'thas?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since I was more thinking more for a future SW game and was (in my mind at least) following my earlier comment about only having the jedi as a unlockable price for "finishing" the game.

Also I don't think a jedi should get exp. for killing things and it would be nice with more missions that could be finished without loots and loots of killing.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would actually go so far as to suggest any future MMO leave Jedi out entirely...

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Don't be wrong, I like her a lot, I just think there is something wrong with her, she hasn't been entirely true with us.

I would be like her other than I won't work with someone like Theron Shan.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The current stories made many boring Jedi, but most of the Sith characters are well developed and right in the spot. So I doubt they simply created a "nice girl" as a very important NPC.

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind having them, I'd just like them to be more rare.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    What do you think about Manaan FP? I must say that I am impressed by its atmosphere, attention to details and quality of cutscenes and V.O.

Well, she says that it is a "shame" that "the Order of Revan as it once existed is no more" and that "there was something appealing" about their ways. She also says that "not everything is so clear-cut as dark side or light side" and that there is "nothing wrong with being practically minded". She admits that as Sith she is "open to possibilities" and since Revanites has changed they are "not anymore" a possibility.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Feal-Thas first appeared in 1985, so I doubt it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah now I remember, but I still think her true nature is remain to be seen.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Although she's too young for it, I still wish they'd tell us more about Satele's mother (who disappeared into Sith territory, if I recall).

17. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    That's interesting (from 12th june): Doug's back in the studio today reprising his role as The Emperor for the new Star Wars video game from LucasArts. -Steph

Steph is a moderator of the official Doug Bradley Facebook page and I wonder if he is not familiar with changes which occurred around SW games. Personally I think that he may be referring to future SWTOR expansion. It was posted around the time when we got news that companion dialogue were being recorded.

And from ootinicast:
    I also got a cool teaser out of Eric with regard to the Knight and Warrior story lines. They appear to contradict each other, with the Knight killing the Emperor and the Warrior getting the mail sent saying that the Wrath should be ready to do the Emperor’s bidding. Eric simply said, “they are both right,” and indicated that the Emperor will indeed be featured in the story at some point in the future to resolve the issue.

Source

18. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Spoilers from "Forged Alliances Part 3"
    Good thing: Revan is alive! probably...
    Bad thing: it seems that he is the Jedi Civil War Revan

[​IMG]
    From Rakata Prime FP
    Rep Side:
    Theron Shan: Darok and Arkous fought to their last breath. We won't be getting any information from them.
    Jakkaro: Why should we care what they could have said? They were weak liars!
    C2-D4: I must agree with my master. They're far more trustworthy as corpses.
    Lana Beniko: I... sense something. We're in danger.
    Theron Shan: Multiple sensor contacts! Capital ships are dropping out of hyperspace--no IDs. One of them's coming in hot!
    Revan: Arkous and Darok were valuable allies in my cause. But their deaths will not delay what is coming.
    Lana Beniko: That voice....
    Theron Shan: It's him. Revan.
    Revan: My Infinite Army could have achieved so much. But I still have other weapons in my arsenal.
    Player: I thought you were dead.
    Revan: Only somewhat. When a goal is important enough, one learns to overcome any obstacle.
    Player: Why have you betrayed us?
    Revan: The Republic is too weak and unfocused to do what must be done. To achieve my goals, all distractions must be swept aside.
    Revan: My followers are legion. My ranks grow every hour, as more and more people see the truth of the galaxy.
    Revan: The Emperor couldn't break me. Even death could not stop me. I will finish what I've started. And you will not interfere again.
    Theron Shan: They're powering up weapons! Get out of there--now!

Later:
    Player: Do you think it's really Revan?
    Theron: You mean, has my ancient ancestor returned from the grave to kill us all? It doesn't seem likely, but... there was something about him. We need to learn more.

Imp Side:
    Beniko: No. They weren't in charge. The disturbance in the Force, I still feel it. It's... arrived.
    Theron: We've got company! Ships. Capital-sized, whole bunch of them. Can't tell if they're yours or ours, but one of them's dropping in to visit!
    Revan: As important as Arkous and Darok were to the cause, their deaths won't stop us. They won't even slow us down.
    Theron: That voice, I've heard it before.
    Beniko: It's Revan.
    Revan: I almost had the Infinite Army I wanted so badly. But even without them, I have enough.
    Player: I saw you die.
    Revan: Oh, I was dead--for all of a blink.
    Player: Face me, coward
    Revan: Goading me into battle might have worked before I died, but not anymore.
    Revan: I've been reborn. My mind is clearer, my power intensified. And now, with the order under my command, I'm unstoppable.
    Player: You're telling me the Revanites weren't always under your control?
    Revan: At first, I wanted nothing to do with them. I was no prophet. Then I saw them in a new light.
    Revan: A secret group of devotees waiting to follow my lead without question? To help me save the galaxy? I was a fool to ever disregard them.
    Revan: I've finally let the Revanites into my world--a world you have to be erased from.
    Theron Shan: Turbolasers are locking on...! Get out of there!

FP ends with Theron, Jakarro and Lana going underground because Jakarro's has twelve death sentences declared on him, Theron's been disavowed by the SIS and the Empire's placed a bounty on Lana's head for the murder of Darth Arkous.

Master of the Revanites
    Jedi turned Sith turned Jedi again: the life of Revan has been one of great contradiction. But when the Sith Emperor imprisoned Revan for more than three hundred years, Revan's ambitions became focused as never before, seeking to use his affinity with the Force to secretly influence his jailor. But Revan became unhinged in the end, and careened once more toward the dark side. Escaping imprisonment in a mad bid to destroy the Emperor for good, he was stopped by an Imperial strike force and believed dead. If Revan has returned from the brink to lead the order that bears his name, it could be that his temperament has evened to suit the Revanites' key tenet of maintaining balance in the Force. Then again, considering that the Order of Revan was formed out of a deep devotion to his deeds, it's possible they would do anything Revan decreed regardless of his reasoning or intent. Since "Revan" has decided to make his presence known, it is undoubtedly only a matter of time before speculation gives way to certainty.

Infinite Army
    Since its destruction, many have sought to own pieces of the fabled Star Forge--an automated Rakata shipyard capable of infinite manufacturing. A Selkath experimenting with cybernetic applications using Rakatan technology was one of those looking to harness the Star Forge's immeasurable power. With the shipyard's self-replicating properties, the Selkath theorized implementation of its parts could allow his test subjects to survive the grafting process, and to achieve virtual immortality. When the Order of Revan made a piece of the Star Forge available to him, the Selkath was able to prove his theories and the Infinite Army was born. This is not the first time the notion of an Infinite Army was conceived. A tormented Jedi looking to destroy the Sith Emperor once appropriated a long-abandoned Rakata foundry built into an asteroid. However, his reputed plan to use the foundry to build an "infinite army" of extermination droids was ultimately prevented.

Rakata Prime
    Many thousands of years ago, in the sparsely populated Tempered Wastes of the Unknown Regions, the first galactic authority was born on Rakata Prime. Named for its once-predominant species whose Infinite Empire ruled for millennia over hundreds of worlds, the planet is now a dangerous tropical wasteland, ravaged by weapons of mass destruction and overrun with deadly beasts and savage Rakata. While few traces of the advanced Rakatan civilization exist on the planet today, it is undoubtedly a treasure trove of lost knowledge and technologies--and not just their own. A nullifying field once employed by the Rakata commonly disrupted the navigational systems of orbiting vessels, causing them to crash into the planet. As a result, Rakata Prime has become something of a starship graveyard.

Rakata Tribes
    In the face of near-extinction and the mysterious loss of Force sensitivity among most of their kind, the Rakata retreated to their homeworld, where they focused their cruel aggressions on one another, descending further into ruin. When the dust of global war settled, all that remained of the galactic tyrants was a collection of barbaric and ruthless Rakata tribes that has dominated the planet for more than twenty thousand years. Some tribes reside in isolation, hidden deep within the jungle islands of Rakata Prime. Others are more aggressive, seeking to conquer and assimilate as many other tribes as possible, uniting the world under their rulership--an echo of their technologically advanced ancestors' attempt at galactic supremacy. Eventually, the dominating tribe's control becomes stretched too thin and the sub-tribes revolt, breaking free until the cycle inevitably repeats.

Temple of the Ancients
    No one knows for certain how long the Temple of the Ancients has stood, which is hardly a surprise. Much of the history of Rakata Prime--and that of its one-time conquerors who placed the galaxy into servitude--has remained undiscovered. What is known of the temple is its relatively recent history. A tribe of Rakata known as the Elders had charged themselves with guarding the temple from other tribes, even though their species no longer had the affinity with the Force required to enter their ancestors' hallowed repository. The Elders held that the temple's secrets must be too important to fall into less civilized hands than theirs. It was this tribe that allowed the Jedi Revan to enter the temple and learn how to destroy the corrupted Rakata superweapon known as the Star Forge. It's unclear what has happened to the tribe in the three hundred years since then as the Temple of the Ancients is no longer under their protection.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Provided this isn't a trick (which would be so lame), I love the sound of this. I especially like how it kinda provides an excuse for why he was so easy to kill back on the Foundry.

What I'm curious about, though, is exactly how he'll have returned... he could just be a spirit, but he sounds more corporeal from the dialogue, unless they've decided to re-purpose their original ideas about Naga Sadow's ghost possessing his pawns as a storyline they're now using for Revan (I always hated that we never got to see Sadow's ghost doing that, as it was a cool idea, so... this might be neat if that's the case here).

It does sound like he's gone over the deep end, but... cheating death can do that, I guess. 300 years watching everything you'd spent your life to stop coming to pass can't be good.

20. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Well it looks like he commands one of Capital ships and according to datamined info he has a body, so I think that he appears by hologram (Theron and Lana are not a part of strike team - they are overseeing your mission and that is why they can only hear Revan's voice).

According to dataminer the most likely planets which could be a part of expansion are Talravin (Bastila homeworld), Yavin 4 (Naga Sadow?), Rishi (not ringing any bells to Old Republic stuff, but like Manaan it was mentioned in one of mails which I think smuggler or bounty hunter can receive), and a Blood Hunt FP (Cathar stuff?) (no updates for Ziost, Bothawui and Sleheyron since 2.0).

21. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012

You mean pre-Kotor?

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    You mean pre-Kotor?
    Yeah, "I will bring the Emperor down and the Republic with him if needed" Revan

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So guess that's the lead up to the next major expansion, 3.0, whenever that comes out. Although they haven't even announced a name for it yet, so who knows when that will be.

Assuming it really is Revan and not an imposter or something, oh well, guess Bioware is ruining Revan's character again as the next third faction for the players to fight. Though nice that they actually spent a bit of time developing his thread, rather than him just showing up and attacking, like the Hutts in 2.0 did. I forget how much leadup Malgus' rebellion had, since I haven't played Imp side much nor flashpoints, and that's usually where Malgus showed up (as a quest giver for flashpoints, I thought). Of course, look at how fast they wasted Malgus, so hopefully this time the story will last longer.

I hope we continue to see more of Theron and Lana, it would be nice to have different quest givers rather than just Saresh and Marr.

24. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    I don't think that we will hear anything about expansion until update 2.10 (with "Forged Alliances Part 3").

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Nobody145 Malgus doesn't do a whole lot beyond what you said. He'll hand out orders for the flashpoints, and... that's pretty much it. He's not really important outside that.

As for "Pre-KOTOR" Revan? I quite like the idea that the Jedi Council's programming has worn off-- after all, "our" Revan was arguably never the "real" Revan anymore than someone in the Cold War being kidnapped and brainwashed into a KGB sleeper cell. The only difference is in Revan's case, he was kidnapped and brainwashed by the "good" side... but it made him no less a victim of indoctrination.

Who knows how many more dreams of his past he had not yet rediscovered during KOTOR? The more he remembered... the more the Jedi Council's attempts to change him would have been undone, and so I actually feel it'd be more of a character assassination for him not to repeat the mistakes of the past, as he's now reliving those same mistakes-- because the Jedi never helped him to overcome the past, just buried it... and running from the past never works. History doomed to repeat itself, and all that...

Darth_Garak, AusStig, RafSwi7 and 2 others like this.