main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Oh please :p At least we r off being negative about Ep 7 rumors. :D

Baby steps, Ben baby steps.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I suppose that might be considered a small measure of progress...

3. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    So, has anyone been into the Episode 7 forum, and seen the latest rum- *notices Jedi Ben glaring*

...uh, seen nothing at all, no-sir-ee. How 'bout them Skywalkers, huh? Crazy family, crazy family.

4. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    The day that Child says she's happy about something Luke related that is new is the day we all celebrate. :D

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll all be a bunch of rumour-addicted loons desperate for your next fix by then!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    With that attitude we just might :p

Edit:

Considering we went from this

[​IMG]

And now bordering on this

[​IMG]

While the rumors make me want to do this

[​IMG]

That deserves some small praise.. ;)

Anywho I don't see anything in Rebels that'll diminish Luke's importance in fact it looks to reinforce it.

ThreadSketch and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Alixen:
    I agree! And I actually really liked that! I liked the way Luke started his own traditions and training methods and kind of learned as he went along. I was disappointed after the PT came out as the authors started to shoehorn PT Jedi traditions, rules, and ways of doing things into Luke's Jedi Order. I always felt they shouldn't have done that. Luke was doing fine doing things his own way, and why should he know that much about what went on in the PT anyway? Yoda seemed to feel that they had done some things wrong, so I doubt he would have shared a lot of that with Luke.

Besides, every organization needs to grow, learn, and develop. Luke's Jedi Order was a new Order for a new age with new problems and challenges. The authors should have let Luke continue to make his own kinds of changes and tweaks, rather than trying to twist the NJO into the OJO.
    Now, I'm concerned that with the ST, Luke may have trained no one in the thirty years between trilogies, if the rumors are true. AND, since it's likely that Luke will be killed off in Episode VII or VIII, he hasn't started to rebuild the Order between the trilogies, he likely won't even get to have the restoration of the Jedi Order as his legacy. Instead, that honor will likely be given to one of the new characters of the ST. I would be really disappointed about that! :(:mad:

I just hope we do GET something about Luke! If he has truly been missing for 30 years and has either been a hermit or a prisoner and has accomplished NOTHING between trilogies, there won't BE any other stories about Luke. AND, as the likely mentor figure to one of the new characters, Luke will have a huge target on his back. He will likely not live through Episode VIII if he survives VII. SO, there won't be any stories about him later either. :( AND, if Luke has no kids, we won't even be able to read the adventures of his son or daughter.:mad:

Matt Skywalker :
    Well, then that comment makes even less sense. Luke hasn't been trained at all at age 15! Don't forget that I believe he added some comment about Kanan being better trained than Luke could ever be, didn't he? I just feel uneasy about Filoni's comments. He didn't need to say that. He could have just said something to the effect that they committed to keeping Luke SPECIAL and the last of the Jedi by the time of RotJ. He didn't even sound very convincing when he was asked about Luke. Didn't he even say, "I think so." That's kind of lame. Either you are or you aren't respecting Luke.

True, but after Yoda died, Luke was supposed to be the LAST Jedi. If there are now other Jedi in the galaxy during and after RotJ from the PT era, THAT does diminish Luke's importance as the only Jedi and the only one who could restore the Order..

Sadly though, it's possible that the ST filmmakers may not even allow Luke to restore the Order anyway. :(

The problem is though, MS, that this time, Filoni seems to think that Luke's only importance was in redeeming his father and he said that he wasn't going to have his characters redeem anyone. That doesn't allay my fears about Luke getting diminished and made less unique. Filoni seems to think that after Luke saved his father, he had completed his destiny; had achieved his greatest accomplishment. I want the Jedi Order to be Luke's greatest achievement.

I think the reason that this is bothering me so much is that I'm sure these people have had some communication with the ST filmmakers and have at least some idea of where things will go in Episode VII. With the horrible rumors we've been getting involving Luke for Episode VII, it almost seems like Filoni might be parroting the film team's take on Luke: that he has already completed his destiny and doesn't need to do anything else, including starting a Jedi Order.

DarthJenari:

^:)^^:)^=D==D==D==D==D=^:)^^:)^

Wow, DJ!!!!!! Wow! That's all I can say! That was an amazing rebuttal! It was SO perfect, and you explained the essence of Luke within your scholarly defense of him and his actions! It was absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I wish that whoever Alexander is, that he would read this! I was privately cheering you on here at home as I was reading it.

Thank you! I loved it! Great job!

I would also love it if JJ Abrams and everyone else involved in making Episode VII would read it as well! I really don't want them to diminish, degrade, and disrespect Luke!

More later....

8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Revanfan1 :
    Okay, I still don't like it, but I understand what you're saying about this.

What concerns me more though, is that Filoni seems to feel that Luke has completed his destiny, that he has already achieved what he was meant to accomplish by redeeming his father. What I get out of that is that this is all Luke was supposed to do and that he's done now. And I fear that's sort of what the filmmakers are going for as well. I've always felt ... even before reading any EU, that Luke's like's work was just beginning at the end of RotJ. I felt that the best achievements were yet to come, both in helping those in need or in danger throughout the galaxy, AND in restoring the Jedi Order.

Filoni's comments make me worry that the rumors of Luke being missing and doing nothing for 30 years are true. After all, if Luke has accomplished his "big purpose", there's nothing more for him to do, so he COULD be in prison or a hermit for more than 30 years! :( :mad: I would HATE THAT!
    Yes, maybe they would let him train someone in Episode VII but then they would probably kill Luke off, meaning that the NEW character, NOT LUKE, would actually have the legacy of restoring the Jedi Order. :( After all, we don't credit Yoda with restoring the Order because he trained Luke.... So why would Luke get credit if he taught just one student? This REALLY worries me!

Praenomen Cognomen:

Are you saying that it captures the spirit of the OT because Obi-wan was a hermit? Do we have to repeat everything that's been done before in the films? Obi-wan had a reason for being a hermit: He was watching over the last hope of the Jedi. Luke wouldn't have that kind of reason, and with Palpatine and Vader gone, there's no reason not to start training new Jedi. Besides, Luke is a people person; he's not a "loner".

can't imagine a "Luke Loner" story that would be that good that they could afford to take away a huge number of possibilities of 30 years of storiy-telling between the trilogies. That would be hurting the franchise. Plus, I think that turning Luke into a prisoner or a hermit for 30 years and having him accomplish absolutely NOTHING, would be disrespectful to the iconic character of Luke Skywalker. They would be taking away the prime of Luke's life and saying that he achieved nothing during those special years. I think it would be TERRIBLE!

Alixen:

This is my feeling as well, A! Let's hope that Disney agrees with us and doesn't cave to JJ if he says he needs to have Luke gone for 30 years. They would really be limiting themselves for the future just to satisfy one director, whose idea sounds really awful to me!

That's my hope too!

Praenomen Cognomen:
    Can you please explain why you like them? For me, they sound like my worst nightmare about the new film. If they are really what JJ and the filmmakers are planning, then I truly wish there would be NO ST.

That doesn't give Luke much of a purpose in life then, does it? If his stupid father hadn't gone over to the dark side, he wouldn't have NEEDED redemption.

Nobody145 :
    Yes, I'm not very optimistic either after hearing Filoni speak.

Yes, so am *I*. I'm especially worried about this in Episode VII from the rumors that I've heard.

Jedi Ben:
    I completely agree, JB!

Exactly! And I agree that everything shouldn't be disregarded for the notion of "surprise" or trying to be totally different from what's expected, or just trying to be "clever". I think it would backfire. At least, I hope it would.

Revanfan1:
    Sadly though, the rumors that I've heard don't thrill me. Far from it! It looks like Luke's role may be TERRIBLE! It sounds like he will be more of a plot device than a character.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah if Filoni rubs off on the other big wigs, as sees Luke only about redeeming his Father and no other role, that may be the last nail in the coffin for me.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Well Luke did saved the galaxy.....

11. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    ChildOfWinds

And how much is that conjecture on your part ? He sez Luke and Kanan have different paths but I don't see how saving the galaxy through redeeming his father is his only importance. Nor does Filoni state that it was, he just states Luke's destiny in OT. He acknowledges that Luke will be a "blinding light, a New Hope" and what is associated with that ? His destruction of the Death Star and saving the galaxy. Also if Filioni is aware of what scant Episode 7 details there are he would not include into the tv series....at least til the release of the film.

So why would he give info about Luke's future, when all of LFL is being secretive ?

He saids "at this point" he's better trained than Luke. Which is absolutely true, does it mean Luke will surpass him ? Yes but not at this point. Luke is a Force prodigy who didn't need to go through the 15-20 years of training. He picked up things rapidly fast. Could he have benefit from it ? Sure, but it wasn't necessary for him to become a knight.

Also considering one rumor of Ep 7 was proven to be false by Admiral Nick, I suggest you rethink about the rumors that have been circulating for the past 8 months.

12. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    We interrupt this thread for a breaking news alert on BeardWatch:

[​IMG]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting. :p

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    killer forearms dude

CooperTFN and JediMara77 like this.
  14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Really want a trailer or interview to come out that can end all this speculation, and give us something factual to go on.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Seriously, those arms. He's totally been working out. Which gives me hope for a killer lightsaber duel... [face_praying]

He looks like wise old Luke there. Here's hoping he's not a hermit....

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I would have no problem with the concept of Luke as a hermit. It'll all be in the presentation of what it implies whether I'd react one way or another.

I don't think Luke's sole purpose was to redeem his father. That seems clear enough by RotJ. I think Luke is meant to help the reforged galaxy finally learn from it's errors. I would hope that would mean NOT simply remaking the same errors of the OJO. I don't know what the current rumours are because I quit listening. Don't need the stress. While I can understand some concern for Luke's handling and a desire for a legacy, I would caution that we still know very little. I will strive to remain positive until I decide whether or not to see VII. If I do, I will judge the film once I have.

The PT taught me to not make assumptions about a SW film. The Mouse will do whatever it does and it will be up to the fans how we respond. Yet, I see no need for this constant negativity. Can't we strive to give Mark and the other Originals and the Newcomers a fair shake?

I do like that pic of Mark. It does seem to suit a mentor Luke. :)

JediMatteus and Vthuil like this.
  17. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    While I think that picture is pretty cool, I kind of wish that they update Mark's hairstyle a bit.
    Oh well, I suppose they want to match up his RotJ hairstyle as closely as possible. He looks great for 62.
    I would love to see Mark in his jedi master robes right now please.....

[​IMG]

ChildOfWinds and JediMara77 like this.
  18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    For an older Luke i'd prefer something similar to the hairstyle he wore during the DNT Crisis:

[​IMG]

Though Mark's hair up there doesn't look far off from other depictions of Luke in the EU.

19. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Right, and who knows maybe he'll get a new look at the end of the movie or in the sequels.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Alexander is known in these parts as The Loyal Imperial. Don't know if he's seen you folks' reactions yet, but this is me pointing him toward it. [face_peace]

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

Oh this should be good, considering the article was a satire piece and we didn't know....oops :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I wouldn't call it satire--the intent was to go out of our way to pick something apart, but not without being rooted in our real feelings. It's all there in the title "sacred shaaks"; what we're really saying is just "people take this thing too seriously". But this thread wouldn't know anything about that. [face_whistling]

Jedi Ben and Matt Skywalker like this.
  23. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    So then a character deconstruction piece ? While also demonstrating we take things too seriously ? Is the sky blue ? :p

Edit: well let's just say we have our reasons, numerous reasons for being cynical over here. And the rumors basically made things from bad to worst.

[​IMG]

But we are all fine here, how are you ?

[​IMG]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is Coop, unlike you and I, this lot actually worked their way through DNT, then LOTF, continued onto FOTJ and even went all the way to the bitter end with Crucible!

The experience left them with..... scars.

(I don't think you did bother with Dening's post-NJO bloated epic, did you?)

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You'll have to be more specific - "bloated epic" could mean basically everything post-NJO. As for me, I just haven't read Crucible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.