main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Changed sequences in Attack of the Clones Blu ray.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rebel-Jedi, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Palpatine77 likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Considering that the blu-rays are a port of the original footage, new additions/changes notwithstanding, this was indeed intentional
    I honestly didn't pay them any mind. I'm aware that something was changed but I can hardly tell

3. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    yes it was intentional by Lucas

and I do not like the change in the Dooku escape sequence, now it seems Yoda has a lot of time to go keep fighting Dooku but he simply doesn't do it

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Dammit! So they didn't remove the Yoda lightsaber fight like I've done in my edit :(

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The original footage was not like this.

Nobody knows. I'm betting (and hoping) it's a mistake since the music ceased to be in sync because of the swap.

Those swapped shots are one of the reasons for why I the DVD version is my preferred choice for watching the movie.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  6. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, it swaps stick out like a sore thumb because of the music sounding out of sync. That being said, I still prefer the Blu-ray for the better video and sound quality. Plus I like the added dialog of Shmi in peril during Anakin's nightmare on Naboo. It's creepy and helps me know what Anakin is experiencing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I thought the inclusion of Shmi's haunting cries in Anakin's nightmare scene dramatically improved the scene. As if it was meant to be there from the start. Sends chills down my spine.

However, the edits made to Dooku's escape are completely unnecessary and undo a tightly edited escape. I *really* wish this would go the way of TESB SE Luke's scream and revert to its original form. I love Dooku's original escape.

8. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    I like your version better.

Not only should Yoda be above using weapons, he has two light saber duels, and doesn't win either-!

sarlaccsaurs-rex and solo77 like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Should be? Why? When is that ever stated in the movies?

1. He's a Jedi.
    2. Lightsabers are Jedi weapons.

Ergo...

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    And you don't see the point in this?

11. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Lucas: Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody.
    Kasdan: A Jedi Master is a Jedi isn’t he?
    Lucas: Well, he is a teacher, not a real Jedi. Understand that?
    Kasdan: I understand what you’re saying, but I can’t believe it; I am in shock.
    Lucas: It’s true, absolutely true, not that it makes any difference to the story.
    Kasdan: You mean he wouldn’t be any good in a fight?
    Lucas: Not with Darth Vader he wouldn’t.

REVENGE OF THE JEDI STORY CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT, JULY 13 to JULY 17, 1981

Then, when it came to Episode II, Lucas thought...how about a bouncing, flipping CGI Yoda with a lightsaber? It ruins the entire concept of the character, but it will be spectacular and fill up some time.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed the Yoda/Dooku fight enough not to think about it.

And at the end, Yoda goes from turning flips in midair to...putting his lightsaber away, getting out his cane and hobbling off.

Whaaa...?

It was absurd enough that I laughed.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So no, you don't see the point.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly, never stated in the movies. After all, story is always evolving and changing.

Ironic, eh?

Darth Raiden and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, Lucas changed his mind. Which of course, has never happened before.

I remember all the posts from the AOTC days about Yoda being essentially forced to fight in a war, led him to later make the statement about wars not making one great.

I rarely defend Lucas' constant changes but this one worked well, as it's more meaningful for Yoda to make such a statement after experiencing the horrors of war personally than from sitting on a log talking about it.

16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucas has the misfortune of writing drafts of stories with 2 billion mouth-breathing geeks gaping over his shoulders.

You would think that fans, generally a more creative bunch, would understand this process better than anyone else, but no. Alas, they are damned literalists and won't tolerate change. But draft 256 was different! Lucas changed his mind!

Yeah, it's called writing. It doesn't fall from the sky complete.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas also has the option of keeping his drafts to himself until they are complete. That's also part of the writing process. It is generally assumed that published work is completed work.

He is far from being the only creator whose work is followed, but to my knowledge he is the only one who is the target of sitcom jokes due to how often he changes his mind.

Dandelo likes this.
  18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's just called writing. That he does it openly should be hailed as courageous, given the sitcom response.

And it's all important to have the positive review of a sitcom. Why, if my favorite comic strip is pilloried on Regis or The View or The Big Bang Theory I don't know how I could live with myself. Their opinions being magisterial, all encompassing.

Sarge likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you believe Lucas doesn't change his mind more often than any other writer...enjoy being comfortable with that opinion.

Someone posted an article in Lit by someone in the gaming department at LFL, discussing how Lucas drove employees in that department absolutely insane with his constant wishy-washy-ness.

And I'm personally not snobbish enough to view sitcom jokes as beneath my dignity but if Lucas does...that would explain why his work in recent years has seemed as pretentious as a thousand-dollar-per-ticket wine tasting. Or at least, has seemed as if he were aiming for that level of pretentiousness.

Dandelo likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are called drafts for a reason and are only released as BtS material.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. So why were they being used as an argument in this thread?

Lucas' mind-changing is hardly limited to drafts-to-completion but keeping this on topic.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, I agree that they shouldn't.

23. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Lucas also has the option of keeping his drafts to himself until they are complete. That's also part of the writing process. It is generally assumed that published work is completed work.
    ----------

this x1000,

common sense doesn't always prevail though, sadly.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Except GL has shown this not to be the case with his constant tinkerings...

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know. That was my point.

"If we don't start [watching this Blu-Ray] soon, George Lucas is going to change it again..."

On topic, anyone know why the sequence was changed, other than "just 'cause"?