main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Palpatine's Lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Jun 1, 2014.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Except in Return of the Jedi, he implied that he seemed to be above the use of a lightsaber. When Vader hands him Luke's, he says, "Ah, a Jedi weapon." And of course, he didn't need to use a lightsaber when Luke rejected his demand later.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In the case of Mace, I think it was that Palpatine really hated him. Hence he had more contempt for him than Yoda.

Palpatine calling it a Jedi weapon doesn't mean that exactly. It could have very well meant that since Luke is trying to pass himself off as a Jedi, that he would carry one. He knew that Luke was not yet a Jedi, when they met. Only when he rejects Palpatine and declares himself a Jedi, does Palpatine realize that Luke is now every bit like Obi-wan. As to not using a Lightsaber, you miss the context of that scene. He's punishing Luke for rejecting him. Torturing him with the full power of the dark side, which Luke has no comprehension about. He has tossed away his only defense against it and Luke is not on Yoda's level. Then he increases the intensity when he tells Luke that he will now die and doesn't even stop, like he did earlier.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's your personal interpretation, but there's no evidence to support it.

Which is true.

Why would he need to use a lightsaber in that scene? Luke had just thrown his saber away.

4. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What I'm wondering is if Palpatine's second lightsaber was even his. Might have been Plagueis'

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Plagueis's had a huge hilt to accommodate for the hand size of a Muun, Palpatine's second saber is a standard hilt

7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    In the case of Mace, I think it was that Palpatine really hated him. Hence he had more contempt for him than Yoda.
    -----------

where did you get this idea from?

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, as I said, it was a thought. It's based on how Mace kept questioning him and how when he came to arrest him, Palpatine became very angry at him. Whereas when Yoda comes to confront him, he's not so much angry as he is gloating.