main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well played my friend

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The new college football playoff championship trophy

[​IMG]

Designed to look like a waffle cone and a vagina, to serve as a reminder to college football players of their three goals in college.

DarthTunick and Point Given like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Bleh. I liked the Crystal Football better.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, that looks like ****. Generic.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    It's probably a lot easier to replace the new trophy then the crystal one which was dropped by more than one team, but definitely agree that it looks pretty cheesy compared to the crystal one.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    True enough on being easier to replace, but the Crystal one had the distinction of being one of the more unique trophies in sports (The Stanley Cup being one of the others)

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Even as a UT fan, my Saban love should be well documented around here, but my Spurrier love is nearly equivalent.

Some of his better quips today at SECMD:

On former, troubled QB Stephen Garcia joining the SEC Network: "As soon as I see Stephen, I'm going to tell him it looks like he joined Duck Dynasty instead of the media." Also said he would succeed in the media, because (referring to media pool) "heck, you guys made it." Also in reference to Garcia, "I thought he'd be real good at that arena ball." [face_laugh]

For reference, this is Garcia today:

[​IMG]

Referred to his backup quarterback last year (and starter this year) Dylan Thompson as "the only quarterback in the country that beat UCF last year."

When asked if winning at South Carolina was harder than at Florida: "Well, they never won at Florida until I got there."

On big-time donors: "they're similar to an owner of an NFL team. Best part, they don't tell you what to do."

On the upcoming Alamo Rivalry game with TA&M: "I always was taught the hero of the Alamo was Davy Crockett. I always thought Crockett and those 33 Tennessee guys was the hero. Him and those Tennessee guys that came in and got killed."

[face_frustrated]

[​IMG]

The most entertaining college football coach, ever.

Rew likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll never forgive Spurrier for his horrible coaching of Washington.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    You should. He takes every chance he gets to say what a mistake that was for him to take the job, and doesn't blame your hideous owner or any of the players - who were certainly more to blame than the OBC, as shown by Washington's subsequent stretch of mediocrity under 47 head coaches since.

dp4m likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm a Buckeye through and through.

And I ****ing LOVE Steve Spurrier.

"You can't spell Citrus without UT"

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ugh. I hate that line, because it used to be so true - now, I'd give my left foot for a birth in what used to be the Citrus Bowl.

He had another good one, recently about UT: "Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

The thing about Spurrier is that he really never ages. My favorite line, because I detest UGA, had to come from a few years ago at So. Carolina - he was asked about changes to the schedule, and the fact that UGA-SC is usually played very early:

"I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

But the gems are endless:

(On a fire at an Auburn football dorm that destroyed 20 books): "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

(This one speaks for itself): "We aren't LSU and we aren't Alabama. But we sure ain't Clemson."

And of course, Free Shoes University. Spurrier is the man.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    One of my favorite Spurrierisms came a couple seasons ago after a proper beatdown of Clemson. He said after the game, "That old team from the Upstate sure gave us a run for our money, but eventually we were able to beat Wofford in the end" (as we had played a relatively close game against Wofford the week before Clemson, both schools being located in the upstate of SC). [face_laugh]

heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    As someone who went to Wofford for two years (and then to Carolina for my last two), I remember that game (actually we've pushed Carolina twice in the last 10 yrs) and quote very well. Coach Mike Ayers runs the triple option like none other, aside from maybe Navy and Georgia Tech.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Preseason Coaches Poll, perhaps the most useless and meaningless poll ever. Still intriguing, and most importantly, a sign that we're close to kickoff.

1. Florida State
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Oregon
    5. Auburn
    6. Ohio State
    7. UCLA
    8. Michigan State
    9. South Carolina
    10. Baylor

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's been useful in the past, thanks to inertia. Preseason rank mattered at the end of the year in getting into the BCS title game. Hopefully, the new committee ignores them, but I have my doubts.

Also, Ohio State is overrated.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    SEC Network is live! I know someone who worked on the development team, from the sound of it, ESPN put a lot into this. Great programming, access to all ESPN/ABC/CBS broadcasts - they played 3 full SEC Championships last night, I believe.

The great opening segment is here. Namath (Alabama), Dara Torres (Florida Swimming), Manziel (TAMU), Courtney Kupets (UGA), PEYTON (GO VOLS), Bo Jackson (Auburn), Max Scherzer (Mizzou), Herschel (UGA), David Price (Vandy), ELI (Ole Miss), SHAQ FU (LSU), Will Clark (Miss. St.), CANDACE PARKER (GO VOLS), Brandt Snedeker (Vandy), Anthony Unibrow (UK), Jerrah Cowboy (Arkansas), Dat Nguyen (TAMU), Mark Ingram (Alabama), Tebow (Florida), Archie Manning (Ole Miss), CHARLES BROCCOLI (Auburn), George Rogers (South Carolina).

Perhaps the greatest compilation ever. I am very excite.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Guess which cable system doesn't have it yet?

Stupid ***** Verizon.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh I don't want to hear that, Juliet - I'd give my left foot for Verizon. Besides, they'll get it soon.

Count your lucky stars that your only option isn't Comcast. :p

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    True, True. And at least Verizon didn't force me to pay extra to get HD channels to go alongside SD channels (unlike, say COX which blocked HD channels on it's top teir SD package so you'd have to pay for the channels themselves and special equipment before getting SD Channels)

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    We should refer to the SEC Network as the Ocho. Since its the eighth ESPN network.

22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes, because Notre Dame has been so victimized throughout its history. So persecuted. Treated so unfairly. They're everybody's poor whipping boy.

Lesbionest here. You just wanted an excuse to write "$EC," yes?

24. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    No excuses necessary. I write that all the time in here.

All the programs that have been hit with penalties in the last decade or so (Deserved - no argument there at all) have been in other conferences. Anything that comes to light regarding teams in the $EC - Newton, which involved Auburn and Miss St, Alabama with the booster payments that a player stated that he and other players received, Johnny Football getting paid for autographs, that at least four different brokers stated happened, etc... Granted Manzeil received a two game suspension, but thankfully he was back in time for the highly promoted Alabama game. (Wouldn't want the sponsors to upset about that one.) The only exception of late that I an think of would be Tennessee. But they aren't really a powerhouse anymore.

Most, if not all programs are doing things they shouldn't be doing, but not all are being penalized equally, or at all.

I'm hardly the only one with this opinion of things.

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    $EC. No excuse for me. I love writing that. I'm a good ol' southern girl. It's been pretty clear to me, working with boosters of SEC, oops $EC schools, that they get a little leeway.