main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite post-ROTJ novels/series? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Aug 11, 2014.

?

What are your favorite (now non-canon) post-ROTJ novels/series?

1. Thrawn trilogy

51.1%
  2. Jedi Academy trilogy

7.6%
  3. Black Fleet Crisis trilogy

15.2%
  4. Hand of Thrawn duology

20.7%
  5. X-Wing series

44.6%
  6. YJK & JJK series

6.5%
  7. NJO series

52.2%
  8. LOTF series

4.3%
  9. FOTJ series

3.3%
  10. Other (see list, and please specify)

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe An Apology is what's being referred to.

http://star-wars.suvudu.com/2012/04...s-and-exclusive-epilogue-by-timothy-zahn.html

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i would have liked HoT better if the real Thrawn would have showed up

Sarge likes this.
  3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    My favorite post-ROTJ stuff is the Dark Empire trilogy, but those aren't novels so I didn't vote.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The other thread is for all the comics.

Anyways, I never understood why the X-wing novels were so well-received. Minor characters from the movies, pretty ordinary and generic, participating in what could be a war from any space sci-fi.

fett 4 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    X-Wings vs. Tie Fighters. No Jedi. The SW is more than Jedi to us. Besides, the Wraiths are way too much fun.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That is why you fail.

Point Given likes this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I semi agree with you. I liked the Allston books and thought Solo Command and Star Fighters of Adumar were excellent.

The Stackpole books though, were pretty awful and he ruined the TIE fighter (and the Imperials using them) into a joke while turning the X-Wing into a super machine, which was also a bit of a joke.

8. KnightOfGrey

KnightOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    But it isn't just any space sci fi, it's Star Wars.

War hammer 40k has beings similar to Jedi yet a hundred times more powerful and tons more of them, but it's not Star Wars.

One of my favorite scenes from the SW movies both old and new is where the Rebels realize the attack on the Death Star is a trap and they turn around and fight. Ship on ship, huge guns, ah the memories. I was never a big trek fan so for me that was the thing. Sadly a lot of the Star Wars books seem to focus more on the Jedi or Sith, which is fine to an extent, but it's not to have a book where the majority of the fighting involves the other half of the Star Wars universe, aka the ships.

Also it's nice to see minor characters becoming something more. Wedge for example, or Ackbar.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Stackpole get most of his ideas about the two from the X-Wing ad TIE-Fighter games (and maybe WEG as well)? It wasn't really a case of Stackpole coming up with "TIE Fighters are fragile and X-Wings are sturdy" all on his own, after all.

Vthuil, CT-867-5309 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Okay, who voted for LOTF and FOTJ? Because they've got the absolute worst taste possible.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Because sometimes you have take a step as far back from the war of the Skywalker/Solo genetic elites and their genetic elite friends as is possible. It's nice to see people who aren't pompous pontificating glowstick wielders doing something of worth.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    and that's why you read HOT

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The NJO. Not that I ever put too much stake in canon as it applies to space adventure stories, but nonetheless for me the NJO will remain the "real story" while a Disney produced Episode VII and beyond will be the alternate universe type of deal.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

they're baaaack

not really

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Let me go ahead and mention the Han Solo Trilogy; easily one of the most well written stories in the entire EU, featuring a plethora of interesting characters to flesh out Han's history before he met Luke and Ben in that cantina. Part of me wishes i'd never read it, so I could read it again for the first time. And I think that goes back to what I often say about the stories not needing to feature galaxy shattering events as part of the main plot to be good. It really just focuses on Han, and every now and again will mention another character's point of view and feelings. The mission (One of many) to steal the Death Star plans is mentioned, but we really don't see much of it. The biggest thing that happens is probably the Battle of Nar Shaddaa, yet the story can still have you on the edge of your seat, with various twists and turns.

JediMatteus and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    sorry not post-rotj you broke the rules bro

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I like breaks from Skywalkers/Solos too, even Jedi sometimes.

But generic, ordinary pilots fighting in a war are boring.

I'd rather read about adventurers.

18. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Well I stand by my statement anyways lol it's good enough to still be mentioned

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I named SOTE after I saw you name it and got jumped on for it. :p

Edit: I find it curious that LOTF is ahead of FOTJ.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Me too. Despite its badness, I feel that FOTJ is inherently better than LOTF. Some of LOTF's stories might've been better (Exile stands out) but I think the overall plot of FOTJ is far less damaging to the post-ROTJ EU than the overall plot of LOTF. FOTJ actually has a few good things going for it despite its bad points, whereas LOTF's overall plot was pretty much complete ruin. But each series had their own nuggets of goodness (Shevu, Mirta, and Lekauf stand out in LOTF; the trial of Tahiri Veila in FOTJ), they just weren't quite enough to make up for the main plot of the series.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It doesn't really matter, FotJ was built on top of a disaster, so its all awful to me.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True enough.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What's ordinary about Wedge "Survived Yavin, Hoth, Endor" Antilles?

Sarge, Abadacus, Grievousdude and 4 others like this.
  24. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Well FOTJ was made specifically to clean up the mess of LOTF, so it's not too surprising. (Though really it just made things so much worse. Like there are days i think about it and don't even know what Jacen was supposed to be thinking about his somehow, maybe, future baby.)

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    LOTF was more memorable (For better and worse) than FOTJ. I've only read FOTJ books once so[face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.