main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm actually going through AC: Revelations right now. Man, those Desmond memories are trippy as ****. Cool music, though.

Cynical_Ben, Zorrixor and Kylun like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's not about knifing everything you see, it's about a shock-and-awe campaign of public executions that increase the profile of the Assassins as an order.

It's said outright in the game. :p

Though, granted, they dialed that back in the following centuries.

Even so, the series has never about MGS-esque stealth. Or even Tenchu-esque stealth, for that matter. Unless it happens in ACIV (which I've still not got around to) I don't think there's even a crouch button.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No, only way you can crouch is if you're standing still, and then it's only to position yourself to spring upwards and jump.

But yeah, Ass Creed has always been more about le parkour than stealth. Even in the first game- as you progressed there would be less guards on the roofs, essentially giving you free reign to go wherever you wanted on the rooftops. And even on assassination missions, as long as the target doesn't see/hear you, you can unleash whatever hell you want on all the unsuspecting guards along the way with little use of stealth.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Unity is looking to be much better than 3 and 4 -- much better. They seem to have remembered that it's called "Assassin's Creed" and not "Unsubtle Brutality Creed and Economic Simulator."

Also Havac , since he feels as you do.

This gameplay video has allayed a lot of my concerns about AC5.

Ulicus , Zorrixor and Point Given like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That looks pretty cool, but apparently it's got "use of alcohol" in it and I don't know if I'm ready for that.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Even Brotherhood with its investments and assassin contracts and Gotta Catch 'Em All side quests (there were those in I and II too but they didn't feel as burdensome, could be that I have played too many games in row) is already starting to be too chaotic for me. The main quest-line advances slowly. Apparently it gets more and more so in the future.

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The slog of Brotherhood is what killed 80% of my enthusiasm for keeping up with the franchise at all. I still want to play Relevation since I'm already 2/3 of the way through Ezio's story, but after that I'm sticking to the ones with numbers in the title.

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Jello hates both of you.

If you disliked the slog of Brotherhood, Revelations will only frustrate you more. It's even shorter than Brotherhood is, so they pad it out with even more sidequests, including a weak tower defense minigame that happens whenever you're too high-profile. ACIII is the worst of the lot for this, though, since the side-quests bog down the main story for the first three hours or so before they finally let you loose on the colonies. I enjoyed ACIV a lot not because it didn't have sidequests, but because those sidequests are largely more fun than the main story missions (which are pure formula by this point).

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The side-quest junk in Brotherhood bored me. Revelations I found better.

AC3... I disliked how big it was personally. I know that's usually seen as a selling point, but I just found it boring having to run around so much.

And then AC4 was all about naval battles, and I just felt it'd jumped the shark.

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Actually I wound up liking Revelations, as I never had to do the den defense game except that one intro instance. I kept my profile down---not too difficult---and locked down my dens, and I was fine. No more assassin training necessary after that, either.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    On the whole I'm agnostic on side quests--some I'll burn through rapaciously, some I'll just ignore altogether. What drove me nuts about Brotherhood was that its main draw for me was getting to spend the whole game in one big fully-realized Rome, only to keep bumping into invisible walls until I was like 2/3 of the way through the story. I like side missions as a way to break up the story and explore, but it seemed reluctant to let me do either of those.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I do have to say that I hate those walls. Brotherhood is still my favorite in the series -- mostly for the setting and the new features -- but yeah, I can understand why it would frustrate people. The Eternal City and the character of Ezio carried it off while without those two elements I might've hated it.

I disliked 3 and 4 because they got rid of the city-exploring part that I enjoyed so much. 3, I think, was just so linear and focused on its story that you never had time to do... anything. 4, on the other hand, had a great naval aspect but the actual Assassin's Creed part of it was lacking: every single mission on land was a damned tailing mission.

That's why I'm excited for Unity. Protagonist seems interesting, setting is wonderful, and they seem to have gone back to AC1 style assassinations (which was like the only aspect of the game they shouldn't have dropped).

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Does anything of import happen in the AC4 plot, Jello?

The little that I tried to read on the wiki made it sound like the answer is... no.

Which upsets me, as the whole First Civilisation and Juno stuff was the part of the story that kept me interested, but the stuff I read about AC4 made it sound as if they'd done a soft-reboot and largely abandoned that side of the story...?

I was bummed enough when Desmond died and the little that I have played of 4 made it feel as if the new "character" wasn't important, only the Desmond Cloud? If something cool like, say, Desmond "possessing" the character in AC4 and being "reborn" (a bit like Subject 16 tried on Desmond, I think I remember...?) then that'll be good enough to make me finish the story. But... depends if it's worth all the boring quests or not.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the walls are my one pet peeve about Brotherhood bu the rest of the game is so awesome that it overcomes the fact that the game takes a couple sequences to open up and holds out a few areas too long.

The walls are gone after Brotherhood, though. All Constantinople is open to you once you get there in Revelations and it's awesome. Same in ACIII.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not in my view, no. There is a big "reveal" so to speak, but it's not nearly as dramatic as AC2 or AC3's endings I think. The First Civ stuff still drives the story, it's just significantly more underwhelming. And I think the biggest issue with it is that the First Civ stuff drives the historical story instead of the history, while it should be driving the external story (where it barely does at all).

It's funny -- after several games being bored to death by Desmond, they did the external plot really well in AC3... only to drop the ball with that weird gag in AC4.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Watch_Dogs? Colossal waste of time.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The final product looked pretty phoned in.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The original trailer seemed to imply there was a group of white hat hacker activists battling a conspiracy involving megacorporations - instead, it's a loner on a standard revenge quest against boring enemies.

The joke is that at one point, a group of white hat hacker activists actually ask your character for a small favor in order to become WATCH_DOGS (yes, they actually use the phrase) on the network that controls the city. Your character refuses, because he's not interested (despite seeing endless parades of the abuses of the system). It's like the designers are actually taunting you that there was a better game. Or maybe, that was a hidden protest against a management-level decision to change the game to its current form.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm so glad I didn't buy that game sight unseen.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ugh the British accents are super-distracting.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I'm rather bothered by all the British Frenchmen. It destroys immersion.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Maybe it's a bug in Animus.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    British accents : history : : cockroaches : restaurant basements

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    In good Hollywood tradition, the Animus was clearly programmed by the Templars with the belief that British accents should be applied to all enemies of Abstergo Industries.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps the French Revolution was a British conspiracy! No wonder Burke and Pitt were so strongly against it -- they were trying to distract from the fact that they were behind it.

Edit: but really if we get Napoleon with a British accent, I think both countries might try to go destroy Ubisoft in outrage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.