main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite post-ROTJ novels/series? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Aug 11, 2014.

?

What are your favorite (now non-canon) post-ROTJ novels/series?

1. Thrawn trilogy

51.1%
  2. Jedi Academy trilogy

7.6%
  3. Black Fleet Crisis trilogy

15.2%
  4. Hand of Thrawn duology

20.7%
  5. X-Wing series

44.6%
  6. YJK & JJK series

6.5%
  7. NJO series

52.2%
  8. LOTF series

4.3%
  9. FOTJ series

3.3%
  10. Other (see list, and please specify)

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    who is acting like that

are people taking me seriously?

if I think a criticism of it is bunk, I'll say so, but I don't care if people don't like it. I'll just call them out on it if their excuse for disliking if it sounds like bunk to me

edit: Jedi Ben keep in mind that Dark Empire is getting caught in the crossfire here :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Much as I love JM's undimmed, sheer enthusiasm for NJO, he does seem to post as if it is some cute kitty being kicked to death by a baying mob that he and a few gallant under dogs must save it from!

Here's the thing: NJO was, from the start, frelling popular and remains so, the idea that its fans are somehow a minority is, to me, utter bunk!

I'm used to people throwing around DE criticism, don't care about it as I know why I like the story and I'm not changing that because of something I read online, why on earth would anyone do that?

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    JM?

I've never said the fans are in the minority -- at least not on this forum. That's pretty apparent looking at the poll.

I like to try to help people appreciate stuff like Dark Empire, but some people are content to write off Dark Empire because the clone emperor is dumb, or the NJO because the Yuuzhan Vong are dumb, and that sort of analysis strikes me as not giving either story a fair shake.

And just to clarify, I'm not accusing you of dismissing the NJO that way, as I know you've read the whole thing.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, maybe that'll finally give Matteus some reassurance.

It's strange though, the appeal that being in the underdog position has for people. Don't really get that.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Ah, JediMatteus. I wasn't sure who you were referring to.

6. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I wonder if I should just say **** it and start up the New Jedi Order series when I'm done with the Galactic Civil War era stuff. I guess its huge size always scared me off.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm inclined to say just jump to The Unifying Force.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Nope.

For me I have to experience a story from beginning to end.

EDIT: Oh, that's the very last book.

o_O

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I do that too. Harry Potter for example. Good Luck.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You wish to inflict upon yourself the horrors of Dark Journey and the Force Heretic trilogy?
    So be it.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You never know. IG_2000 might like those tales.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The Thrawn Trilogy. I was actually a bit disappointed when I learned the new trilogy wouldn't be following it.

13. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I've been on these boards long enough to remember the hate that the New Jedi Order got before LOTF and FOTJ. I always loved that series, but its surprising to see so many people enjoy it now too. Perhaps we didn't realize how good it was until we read the two series that came after that.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    For me, I wasn't an NJO hater, per se, but I certainly was critical of certain narrative decisions made when it was being published. However, the reverence it gets now from me is due to me judging it in comparison to everything else which has been published in the past thirty-eight years, and deeming it to be the best story of the Expanded Universe. It certainly helps that two of the top ten, possibly top five, SW novels are a part of it.

A lot of my criticisms of the series were nullified by the post-NJO. For instance, I didn't like Coruscant being reshaped as Yuuzhan'tar, because I felt back in 2002 we were just being introduced to Coruscant visually, and it was a shame that the post-NJO world wouldn't get to explore it. Lo and behold, the shaping was magically undone, and the stories exploring it sucked.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Some things never change.

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Only way to read a story in my opinion. Otherwise, you'll never know just how good or bad the story actually is.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to admit, I'm not sure how this claim makes sense. I mean, those are pretty essential parts of those stories - if someone is fundamentally opposed to them, I'm not sure why it's reasonable for that person to still give those stories a "fair shake". (Unless, I suppose, their reason for thinking those things are dumb is really shallow - as in "Yuuzhan Vong is a stupid-sounding name" shallow.)

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Do you think it is shallow to dismiss the Yuuzhan Vong as villains due to their use of biotech? Maybe people have legitimate complaints about them, but I'm speaking mostly of people that haven't actually read the stories and choose not to do so because they're dismissive of those elements. It seems there's a lot of people who were dismissive of the NJO when it was published that later came around to it after the fact. I doubt the figures in this poll would be identical if it was put out in 2002.

I mean, the bottom line for me is that there's a lot of stuff in Star Wars that is silly that you just have to accept if you're going to enjoy it. Even for me, there's ultimately a threshold where it's so damaging to the narrative that I can't, but that falls to characterization, not story. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the silliness of the Jedi Academy trilogy existing because it's ultimately benign, or even useful in some sense.

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Yuuzhan Vong are dumb because they belong in Star Trek or Babylon 5, not Star Wars. How did they get in there?

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    exactly

the NJO is a garbage story that belongs in Star Trek

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
  22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    the reason why i said it messed up Luke's legacy was because Luke was supposed to recreate a successful Jedi order, and defeat the sith. Now when it comes to the eu, the sith tribe and the "One" sith lessens his legacy. and then having Luke's Order decimated by Legacy Comics time peiod also lessens his legacy. Sorry if i am to rigid and uncompromising folks, but it is how i feel.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost Tribe is unrelated to Palpatine! Kind of hard for that to diminish Luke's Legacy imo. The Lost Tribe was around for how long during the OJO? That's right, 5000 years wasn't it? Shouldn't they get some blame?
    The Legacy purge was just a fraction of the Palpatine purge wasn't it? The Jedi Order survived Krayt's Purge. After Palpatine's Purge, the Jedi Order had to be completely revamped. Was it for Legacy?
    Besides Krayt happened because of Palpatine. Makes sense imo.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes! To Force Smuggler, you listen!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Also what about the KOTOR II Purge and whatever happened in TOR?

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.