main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    To Force Smuggler you listen!

2. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

For 30 years he has been doing reps ? Not likely.
    [​IMG]

3. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    It's been so long since I've been here posting, but gees if they are going to go with the "Luke was in prison/hermit for 30 years plotline" the writers really should fire themselves. It would be an absolutely poor plot choice. I mean, does that mean that he attended Han and Leia's wedding and then left?

ChildOfWinds and JediMatteus like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Han and Leia maybe never married.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Clearly you've never watched Avatar The Last Airbender.

Force Smuggler and Ghost like this.
  6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Its just getting worse.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you believe anything anyone tells you.

I mean, heard from some guy down the pub Luke Skywalker got a sex change and will be called Luky Skywalker in the sequel, with a really nice dress.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Man you can't discount it all. Too much agreement and consistency. The scruffy beard lends itself to captivity as well

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How does a scruffy beard only mean captivity?

Isn't Abrams some sort of Spoiler Nazi? Do you really think that he would let the real plot get out?

Revanfan1 and Matt Skywalker like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, I can because it's all dubious, it's all rumour and the only reason I'm banging on about this is I don't actually like seeing a load of people I've spent years talking SW with tormenting themselves in this way.

Matt Skywalker likes this.
  11. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    No but I seen Conan...

and I doubt they would let a guy who can move stuff with his mind be physically active when he can use that to his advantage.

12. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

[​IMG]

Unless they're going to keep him chained to a wall, or frozen in carbonite (Or some such thing) there's very few ways to stop Luke from going through the basics to keep himself in shape, especially when he can use the Force to dampen/heal any torture he might undergo. Though also, they'd have to find a way to cut him off from the Force to stop him from not only using it to escape on his own, but from contacting Leia as he did in ESB. Because Luke doesn't need to be physically active to use the Force.

ChildOfWinds and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Bingo, keeping Luke malnourished and in pain would also help in hampering his concentration.

14. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Depends on the state of the prison exactly, because let's take the situations with Leia captured on the 1st Death Star, the gang on Cloud City in ESB, or in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ, none of those would be a problem for Luke to get himself out of fairly quickly. Malnourishment is something that takes time, like months to years. It's also something that would take time for him to recover from, so I honestly doubt that'll play much part in his capture.

Honestly, I doubt they're going to put as much thought into it as viewers and fans will after viewing the film and picking the inconsistencies apart.

15. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

This seem to handle Obi-Wan fine. I also don't expect them to freeze Luke in carbonite, if the whole point of keeping him alive is to access midiclorians and his blood. Anyway the whole point I brought up why would Luke be fit after 30 years of captivity is it doesn't add up. The idea of Luke being captured for 30 years is ridiculous and again is just a rumor that's been bouncing around.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I've seen this summed up nicely here on the boards, so I'll repeat it for you.

Person A hears rumor.
    Person A tells Person B.
    Person B tells Person C.
    Person C tells Person D.
    Person D tells Person A.
    Person A says "Huh, I've heard it from two independent sources; it must be true!"

This is probably a lot of what's happening here.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Sounds about right.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Honestly, if they introduced Luke Skywalker exactly like this as to what he's been up to 30 years, that would be kind of awesome.

"Y'know, Luke, you could have just stopped pushing the wheel of woe at some point."
    "Really?! Damn. Never thought of that."

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It's the Wheel of Pain. He is later crucified on the Tree of Woe.

20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Lord_Riven:
    I completely agree with you!

From what I've heard, he likely never even made it to the wedding. A rumor is that it happened right after the party on Endor.

Jedi Ben, unfortunately, it's been said that JJ Abrams was very unhappy on Friday, and that was the day when there was a big information drop, so wouldn't that lend legitimacy to the rumors?

Force Smuggler :
    Well, it's a hint that Luke might have been away from a razor for a while. Also, Hamill was seen more recently with a more 'manicured" beard and hair, which suggests that this might be his 'post-imprisonment" look.

See my above comment to JB. Someone may have leaked all this and maybe JJ is now pretty upset about it.

JediMatteus, you''re right: things seem to keep getting worse. The one I hate absolutely the most is

that Luke will somehow use the dark side.

Someone speculated that then Luke will be killed off and LEIA will train the Jedi. Now, if that person's scenero is true this is what we would have for Luke: NOTHING. He would have spent 30 years in prison, which means no stories involving him for the 30 years between RotJ and Episode VII. There would be no Jedi Order and no skywalker kid. There would be very little story involving Luke in Episode VII, because Han and the kids apparently spend most of the film looking for him. Then, apparently, these non-Jedi somehow manage to spring Luke Skywalker from his prison even though Luke, the Jedi Knight, couldn't accomplish this in 30 years' time. To add salt to the wound, once Luke has been found, he will use the dark side and then be killed, so Leia has to train the kids herself.

Doesn't that sound like a WONDERFUL character arc for Luke Skywalker? Doesn't that just seem to flow perfectly from what we saw in RotJ???

21. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I could see Ep7 starting with Luke's capture. Same way Ep4 started with Leia's.

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Well, I don't know who would be powerful enough to capture Luke, or why a couple of kids and Han Solo would be able to free him when Jedi Luke couldn't get free himself. However, I could certainly see Luke getting captured at the beginning of Episode VII a lot easier than having him a prisoner for 30 years . However, the rumors say 30 years, and almost everyone is now accepting that as fact. :(

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's kind of the point of a new villain, though–a threat that is so scary that it even initially takes down someone who shouldn't be so easily defeated. It's also possible that Luke allows himself to be defeated for some reason. We don't know for sure.

I wouldn't rule out "a couple of kids and Han Solo." They want to give us new characters in a new generation that can plow on ahead when Luke, Han, and Leia are gone, whether through killing or old age. I love Luke, and he should be supremely powerful, but if he overshadows everyone who comes after him, then what's the point of new characters? These guys need to be able to stand on their own, without Luke. However, as to Luke not freeing himself? Maybe he doesn't want to be free yet. Maybe he's intentionally staying a prisoner to lull the bad guy into a false sense of security, or attempting to turn him to the light side, or something.

I don't accept it. We still have almost a year and a half until the release of VII. If these rumors persist until, say, June of next year, then it'd lend some credence to them. But as I said before, this could be a huge case of "Person D repeats to Person A." I'm not worried yet; I'm an optimistic person by nature and something inside me tells VII is going to be a great movie.

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Revanfan1:
    Right after RotJ though and Palpatine and Vader????

Which I think would be kind of stupid, just like Luke was when he allowed himself to be taken by the Emperor on Byss.

But these are supposed to be UNTRAINED kids yet. I think it's pretty awful for a couple of kids and Han to be able to defeat some terrifying villain that Luke can't defeat for 30 years. Of course you want them to stand on their own eventually, but not before they're even trained! I hate it when new characters are put on pedestals and made to shine at the expense of older, more experienced characters. Don't diminish established characters and make them look weak and dumb just to make new characters look good. For me, that tends to make me resent the new characters. That's just what happened early in the NJO.

For 30 years????????

So how will you feel about this if it turns out that these rumors are true as well as the rumors about
    Luke using the dark side?

I sincerely hope you're right, because if these rumors are true, I am going to HATE this film, and likely, won't even go to see it.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, it depends on when Luke was captured. But it's possible that Palpatine has Emperor's Hands in the new canon, maybe a really powerful one. And if it's actually 30 years later that he's captured, and not right after ROTJ, then this is a new villain who's feasibly had 30 years to prepare for Luke. Either way, I'm not willing to dismiss it without giving it a chance.

But there could be reasons. We just don't know yet.

"Untrained" being relative. Boyega is supposed to be a stormtrooper from the start, so he's probably really elite to begin with, a great fighter, tactically knowledgeable–and we don't know enough about Daisy to say whether she's untrained or not yet. Even if she's not trained as a Jedi, if she is Han's daughter then in all likeliness she's an insane pilot and a good fighter. And with Chloe Bruce as her stunt double, she's looking to have some terrific action scenes. And Han's the best gunslinger in the galaxy, so he can handle a lot.

I don't think they'll intentionally make Luke look weak or dumb, or diminish him, just to make the new characters look good. I think the new characters will look good on their own, but Luke being captured may be a part of that. JJ is a huge OT fan; he'll treat the characters right. That means Luke, but it also means Han. If Han is going to die in VII, then this needs to be his last chance to shine. Luke can survive, and have more chances to do great things.

I don't know yet. We're not sure whether or not it actually is 30 years. And until we do, I don't see a reason to worry about it.

I don't like the idea. At all. But...

Even if he uses the dark side, it doesn't mean he turns to the dark side. As long as Luke isn't made a villain, I can probably get over it. He may have to do something pretty serious to save Daisy's or John's lives, but we also don't know if Luke even does use the dark side–what I remember just says that Luke does something unfortunate to win in the end, which could include sacrificing Han to save the younger generation. Like I said, I really really don't want Luke to use the dark side, but we still don't know that it even is true, and there are ways they could do it that wouldn't ruin the entire movie.

I hope I'm right too. I really want to love this movie–and I think I will. Even if they don't treat Luke right (which would totally destroy me), I think I could still like the movie, because Gleeson, Ridley, Boyega, Isaac...they're all great young actors and I bet they'll totally win me over with their performances. Like I said, Luke's role in VII is extremely important to me. But there are other factors that will cause me to love or hate the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.