main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Rumours about rumours being only rumours...

Uh huh.

And these websites wonder why I ignore everything they say. :p

3. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Well, to me was when I started to lose respect of him (Thrawn´s art bs and guessing skills, and Mara sueism didn´t help either). It´s Force Ghost, not Force God, it doesn´t have to be omniscient or whatever, just be there for a chat when necessary. Also so much for Yoda always being with Luke and so on. Then, same happened to "size matters not" and other OT things.

Anyway, Sydow is too old for ghost Anakin, like close to twice as much as when Anakin died I think. It was also a bit like that with Shaw, at least with the ghost effect he seemed close to 60, while I always thought Vader was far younger.

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Not everyone that's 60 looks like a movie star. Anakin had had a hard life, so Shaw never seemed out of place to me.

This is the problem with Hollywood today... it's made actually looking old get treated like some kind of a disease, and not, you know, normal.

5. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    That's the problem Zor, Hollywood n normal don't mix.

[​IMG]

6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Eugh, Shia LaWhatever... I never understood how that guy got famous in the first place. :p

7. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    He was a Disney child star from the show "Even Steven". That is how he became famous in the first place.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Spielberg then began heavily promoting him after he was in Holes, which is the real reason why he rose to prominence (and ended up in both Transformers and Indy 4).

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The smartest thing was doing something other people told him to do?

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    the ST needs a stand firm scene damnit

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Didn't say it was his idea, just that he did it. :p

Grey1 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Interior: Millennium Falcon

Daisy Solo has been trapped under the door to the cockpit for over 36 hours at this point. She has lost all hope. Until...

UNKNOWN VOICE: ...Daisy. Stand firm, Daisy.

DAISY: But I can't! My leg is completely trapped!

UNKNOWN VOICE: Dammit Daisy, stand firm!

DAISY: ...That's not very reassuring-sounding. Who is that?

Daisy raises her head just high enough to peer out the window. The owner of the voice stands below.

HAN SOLO: C'mon, Daisy, just stand up a little with your good leg and reach the lever. It's not that difficult.

Han Solo hops away on one transparisteel leg.

~Scene End~

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Heck yeah!

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I would accept this

15. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I watched Star Trek: Insurrection today, and the Enterprise-E's "manual steering column" makes me think of this discussion. One of the few derp moments in an otherwise solid and over-maligned film.

[​IMG]

16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Wat

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012

Grey1 likes this.
  18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Insurrection would make a great four-parter TNG episode or even some kind of event TV movie but it just doesn't feel like a feature film. Most TNG movies except First Contact have that problem.

Back on topic, I really hope they don't bring back Vader in any way except maybe mentions or even some minor appearence as a Force Ghost. Resurrection of characters is something I really don't favor and it defeats the purpose of their well.. defeat.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree when it comes to Vader.

The rumour of a rumour about a rumour of flashbacks featuring Darth Vader is just... eugh. If they did anything like that, they'd be openly admitting they didn't have confidence in their own story being able to succeed on its own merits, as it shouldn't require a flashback anymore than Palpatine discussing Plagueis needed a flashback or Obi-Wan talking about the Clone Wars.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    SW Legacy had Vader. I don't believe in nothin' no more!

21. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    I hope they have a flashback about Hoth, I feel that planet is underrepresented in the media.

[​IMG]

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    IMO Insurrection is not the best of the movies but definitely doesn't deserve the drubbing it gets. Yeah, the stakes are not galaxy-threatening, and any number of the two-parters would have made better film plots, but it's a very pure Trek idea that you could readily see as a TOS or TNG episode. I don't recall the exact quote but Michael Piller said that after DS9 and First Contact, he felt the franchise was drifting from its original mission and he was specifically trying to "make one for Gene." And someone else (at the studio?) was pushing for something more light and humorous along the lines of The Voyage Home.

True, if you consider it in IU context of the Dominion War, it's kind of an odd interlude. Now that I think about it, a Dominion War film with the TNG cast would have been awesome, but that might have taken too much setting up for casual audiences (or at least perhaps the studio perceived that it would) and we'd just had a very dark shoot-em-up with First Contact. I wonder if there was ever any intention of making it tie in with the war, or if that would have just been too difficult to coordinate with the TV side.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never watched Star Trek properly, just the odd episode on TV here and there, but... I enjoyed Insurrection. :p

Admittedly, I've a feeling it was the first time I'd actually sat through a full Star Trek film/episode without going "Yawn, Star Trek..." and changing the channel, so I didn't really go into the film with any preconceptions about what to expect from it. For my part, it was just a fun little space film.

Zeta1127 and CooperTFN like this.
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, considering Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is the only Star Trek film I can't really remember, and for good reason from what I have heard, I have a very hard time complaining about all of the Star Trek films.

25. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    What about that Star Wars film with Zachary Quinto ? That one had some Trek elements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.